Nowadays we regularly hear about one of the most important concepts in electronics, that is Embedded Systems. What is embedded systems? Why many people prefer embedded systems in these days?
An embedded system is nothing but a computer system which is designed to perform many operations such as to access the data, process the data, store the data and also control the data in electronics based systems. In embedded systems, software commonly known as firmware is hidden inside the same hardware rather than in some other hardware. Basically embedded systems are task specific devices. One of its most important characteristic is gives the output within the time constraints or you can say they are time bound systems. These embedded systems help to make the work more convenient and accurate. So, we often use these embedded systems in simple and complicated devices too. We use these embedded systems in our real life for many devices and applications such as Calculators, microwave, television remote control, home security and neighborhood traffic control systems, etc.
Many engineering students show lot of interest to do the projects based on embedded systems in their final year. For their purpose, we have listed here some of the best embedded systems projects ideas which are all very helpful to get an idea about what type of projects that they can choose in engineering level. This list includes many 8051 Microcontroller Projects, PIC Projects and AVR Microcontroller projects. Some of the examples of microcontroller based projects are water level controller using 8051, Propeller LED display, Automatic Railway Gate Controller with High Speed Alerting System, Metal detector robot, Biometric attendance system, etc.
Let us see a brief explanation about the above mentioned projects.
1. Water Level Controller using Microcontroller:
This project monitors the water level of the tank and automatically switches on the pump motor when ever tank is empty. The motor is switched off automatically when container or overhead tank is full. The main principle used in this project is “water conducts electricity”. In this project water level of the overhead tank is indicated on a 16*2 LCD. In this system a set of 4 wires which are placed at different water levels can be used to sense the water levels. Based on the outputs of these wires controller displays the water level as well as controls the pump motor. For more information about this project, click here.
2. Propeller LED Display:
Propeller display is a linear array of LEDs, rotating at high angular velocity to generate a circular screen.
This “illusion” is based on inertia of human eye. In this project we rotates a set of LEDs for displaying characters, numbers and symbols in a rotating manner, that is the reason to call the system as a propeller LED display. The rotating light emitting diode display can be disc shaped or cylindrical shaped. Cylindrical displays are capable of displaying digits and text. Disc-shaped displays are used to display analog clock. Propeller LED display is a mechanically scanned device that displays characters in a digital format. Propeller display are used in digital and analog clocks, also used to display the messages.
3. Wireless Metal Detector Robot:
In this project we develop a robot, which can sense the metals ahead of it on its path. In this project robot is controlled wirelessly using RF technology. A metal detector is interfaced to robot that alerts the user when there is a suspected land mines metal ahead. At transmitter end 4 push buttons are used to control the movement of the robot. For each push button a separate command is sent to the receiver to control robot directions. If any suspected metal is detected, then robot stops there and gives the buzzer. Get more information about this project in the post – Metal Detector Robot.
4. Biometric Attendance System:
In any institute or organization it is necessary to take the attendance for consistent regulation and payment. Taking attendance manually requires more time and paper work. To solve this problem automatic attendance using finger print was developed. This finger print based attendance system is also called as Biometric attendance system. Biometrics is the technology used for authentication. Biometric refers to automatic identification of a person based on biological characters such as finger print, iris, etc. This system works based on the fact that no 2 persons will have same finger print in the world. Read the post – Biometric Attendance System to get more information about this project.
Here is the list of some more important embedded systems projects along with their detailed information. These are very helpful for final year engineering students. You may once check this list of projects and you may write your opinions, new ideas, suggestions and feedback also in contact us page.
Embedded Systems Projects Ideas:
- Password Based Door Lock System using 8051 Microcontroller: This system demonstrates a password based door lock system wherein once the correct code or password is entered, the door is opened and the concerned person is allowed access to the secured area. After some time, the door would be closed. Read this post completely to get more information.
- Human Detection Robot: Here is an IR Sensor based human detection robot designed using 8051 microcontroller. It is mainly used to save the people in accidents and explosions, to find the enemies, etc.
- GSM Controlled Robot using Microcontroller: This is an SMS controlled robot designed using 8051 Microcontroller and is used to control the robot directions like forward, backward, left and right by sending SMS from the mobile.
- Password based Circuit Breaker: This password based circuit breaker project is built using 8051 controller and is used to switch off the power supply to the line by entering a password.
- Metal Detector Robot using 8051 Microcontroller: This RF based metal detection robot is designed using 8051 microcontroller and is very useful to detect land mines, bombs, weapons, etc.
- Fingerprint based Biometric Attendance System: This biometric attendance system circuit is designed using AVR Microcontroller. It helps to take the attendance in educational institutions, industries, etc.
- Bidirectional Visitor Counter using 8051 Microcontroller: This Bidrectional Visitor Counter Circuit is helpful to count the number of persons entering or leaving a room and to display it on a screen.
- Sun Tracking Solar Panel: This article describes about circuit that rotates solar panel. This Sun tracking solar panel consists of two LDRs, solar panel, stepper motor and ATMEGA8 Microcontroller.
- Line Following Robot using Microcontroller: This line follower robot is a basic robot that follows a specific path indicated by a line having some particular width.
- RFID based Attendance System: This simple RFID based attendance system is designed using ATmega8 Microcontroller and is mainly used in educational institutions, industries, etc. where authentication is needed.
- Auto Intensity Control of Street Lights: This is a simple circuit that automatically controls the intensity of street lights which is designed using microcontroller and LEDs.
- Street Lights that Glow on Detecting Vehicle Movement: This article describes about the circuit that switches the street lights on detecting vehicle movement and remains off after fixed time. This system controls the street lights using light dependent resistor and PIR sensor.
- Digital Temperature Sensor: The main principle of this circuit is to display the digital temperature value. These are mainly used in environmental applications.
- Bluetooth Controlled Electronic Home Appliances: This article explains you how to control the electrical appliances using an Android device. Using this project we can control all the loads using a single remote and a control unit.
- Wireless Electronic Notice Board using Microcontroller and GSM: This wireless electronic notice board using GSM Technology and microcontroller circuit is used to display the data on LCD whatever we sent from the mobile.
- Digital Tachometer using 8051 Microcontroller: Here we designed a simple non contact tachometer using microcontroller which can measure speed with an accuracy of 1 rev/sec.
- 8 Channel Quiz Buzzer Circuit using Microcontroller: We built the circuit using a microcontroller which scans the input from push buttons and displays the corresponding number on a display device.
- 5 Channel IR Remote Control System using Microcontroller: This article is aimed to design and demonstrate a simple 5 channel remote control system to drive five loads. This circuit works on the principle of IR communication.
- Density Based Traffic Signal System using Microcontroller: In this system, we use IR sensors to measure the traffic density. We have to arrange one IR sensor for each road; these sensors always sense the traffic on that particular road. All these sensors are interfaced to the microcontroller. Based on these sensors, controller detects the traffic and controls the traffic system.
- PWM based DC Motor Speed Control using Microcontroller: Here is a simple DC Motor speed control circuit designed using AVR Microcontroller. Here we use a technique called PWM (pulse width modulation) to control the speed of DC motor.
- Water Level Controller using 8051 Microcontroller: Here we are designing the circuit which is used to detect and control the water level automatically in overhead tank using 8051 microcontroller. It is used in industries to control the liquid level automatically.
- Temperature Controlled DC Fan using Microcontroller: The main principle of the circuit is to switch on the fan connected to DC motor when the temperature is greater than a threshold value.This can be used in home applications and in cpu to reduce heat.
- Digital Voltmeter using 8051 Microcontroller: This is a simple digital voltmeter circuit designed using 8051 microcontroller. This circuit measures the input voltage from 0V to 5V. Here, the input voltage should be DC voltage to get the accurate output on LCD.
- Ultrasonic Rangefinder using 8051 Microcontroller: This circuit explains you how to measure the distance using 8051 microcontroller. This ultrasonic range finder system measures the distance up to 2.5 meters at accuracy of 1 cm.
- Stepper Motor Interfacing with 8051 Microcontroller: The main principle of this circuit is to rotate the stepper motor step wise at a particular step angle. The ULN2003 IC is used to drive the stepper motor as the controller cannot provide current required by the motor.
- Interfacing 7 Segment Display to 8051: This article describes you how to interface seven segments to AT89C51 microcontroller. This system displays the digits from 0 to 9 continuously with a predefined delay.
- LC Meter using 555 Timer: This is a simple LC Meter circuit designed using 555 Timer and 8051 microcontroller. It is mainly used to measure value of a reactive element like a capacitor or an inductor.
- DC Motor Interfacing with 8051 Microcontroller: Here is a simple but very useful circuit in our real life named interfacing DC motor with 8051 microcontroller. It describes you how to control the DC motor using AT89C51 controller.
- LED Interfacing with 8051: The main principle of this circuit is to interface LEDs to the 8051 family micro controller. Commonly, used LEDs will have voltage drop of 1.7v and current of 10mA to glow at full intensity. This is applied through the output pin of the microcontroller.
- 2 Digit Up Down Counter: The main principle of this circuit is to increment the values on seven segment displays by pressing the button. This circuit can be mainly used in scoreboards.
- DTMF Based Home Automation System Circuit: This is a simple and very useful circuit in our real life named DTMF controlled home appliances system. It helps to control the home appliances using DTMF technology.
- Bipolar LED Driver Circuit: This bipolar LED driver circuit is very useful at the places where flashing of light is required, as in beacon flashing. This circuit can be mainly used for indication purposes.
- Celsius Scale Thermometer using AT89C51: This Celsius Scale Thermometer circuit is designed using at89c51 and lm35. This circuit works on analog to digital conversion principle. It can be used at homes, mobile places like cars to keep a track of the temperature.
- Water Level Indicator: This Water Level Indicator project employs a simple mechanism which helps to detect and indicate the water level in an overhead tank or any other water container. It can be used in Hotels, Factories, Homes Apartments, Commercial Complexes, Drainage, etc.
- How to Interface Real Time Clock with PIC18F: Get an idea about RTC, PIC Microcontroller pin diagram and how to interface RTC with PIC18F. RTC is an integrated circuit which keeps track of current time.
- Automatic Railway Gate Controller with High Speed Alerting System: The main aim of this project is to operate and control the unmanned railway gate in the proper manner in order to avoid the accidents in the unmanned railway crossing.
- Boolean Algebra Calculator: This Boolean algebra calculator is an interesting project which is more useful in our real life by working as a portable calculator to simplify the Boolean expression on the fly. In our circuit, we use Boolean algebra simplification methods like the Quine-McCluskey algorithm to simplify the Boolean expression and display the output on the display.
- Interfacing GSM to 8051: This interfacing of a GSM modem to AT89C51 microcontroller circuit can be used to control robots, in automatic accident detection and indication along with GPS, etc.
- Digital Clock using RTC DS12C887 and 8051 Microcontroller: This digital clock circuit is used in many applications like cars, railway stations, houses, offices, etc. in order to provide accurate time and date.
- Random Number Generator using 8051: This circuit helps to generate a random number in between 0 to 100 when push button is pressed and it may be used in the games like monopoly, snake ladder.
- Interfacing GPS with 8051 Microcontroller: In this interfacing of GPS with 8051 circuit, GPS module calculates the position by reading the signals that are transmitted by satellites.
- Delay using 8051 Timers
- Interfacing GPS with 8051 Microcontroller: In this interfacing of GPS with 8051 circuit, GPS module calculates the position by reading the signals that are transmitted by satellites.
- Interfacing 16×2 LCD with 8051: This is a simple circuit diagram which helps to describe interfacing of 16X2 LCD module to AT89C51 which is a 8051 family microcontroller.
- Interfacing 16X2 LCD with PIC Microcontroller: This is a circuit which helps in interfacing 16X2 LCD to PIC18F4550 microcontroller which is of family PIC18F.
- Interfacing 16X2 LCD to AVR Microcontroller: This is a circuit which helps in interfacing 16X2 LCD with AVR Microcontroller. The Atmega16 belongs to the AVR microcontroller family.
- A PIC Sonar (Ultrasonic) Range Finder Using a Seven Segment Display: A range finder or a distance detector is very useful device that is used to measure distance between two objects without physically measuring the distance. The system designed here uses Ultrasonic waves which are controlled by PIC microcontroller. The range of the system is limited but the areas of applications include finding liquid level, depth of snow, positioning of robots etc.
- Auto Metro Train to Shuttle between Stations: Public transport is an important mode to commute in big cities. All the major cities have an established metro train system. The aim of this project is to develop a system which enables to run the metro train automatically between stations. It is an ARM7 based design embedded with an H-Bridge controller that controls the motors. A successful implementation will result in reducing human intervention and hence reducing number of accidents.
- Auto Power Supply Control from 4 Different Sources: Solar, Mains, Generator & Inverter to Ensure No Break Power: The demand for electricity is always increasing. Black outs or power cuts is a frequent scenario if there isn’t enough electricity to meet the demand. This situation will be a concern in industries, hospitals etc. Renewable energy is the main alternative source of electricity. The aim of this project is to design a system which efficiently controls power from four different sources viz. mains, generator, solar and inverter so that the source gets automatically switched between them to ensure that there is an uninterrupted power supply.
- Automated Town Water Management System Using PIC: Even though 70% of the EarthÂ’s surface is covered with water, 97% of that water is salt water. Fresh water percentage on Earth is about 1% of total water, with other 2% being glaciers. Hence, water management is very important task. The aim of this project is to provide an automated water management and distribution system in towns so that there is no wastage. It is a PIC microcontroller based system with level sensors and GSM module to send information.
- Automation of Cars Using Embedded Systems Technology: The concept of automation of car can be achieved by embedded system technology. The proposed system is to develop an embedded system for automation of a car or making it autonomous. A huge collection of sensors and modules are integrated in this system. Some of them are: GPS for positioning, gyro & accelerometer to inform about incremental changes, a display system, finger print scanner for authorized ignition, etc. The concept of vehicle automation is huge and requires a lot of expertise.
- Automatic Room light Controller with Visitor Counter (AT89S52): A microcontroller based light controller system is designed, which helps in saving electricity. The system counts the number of visitors entering a room and switches ON or OFF the lights accordingly. It is useful in auditoriums and conference halls, where the count of people is required and the lighting conditions of the room are adjusted automatically.
- Automatic Vehicle Speed Controller in Traffic Using RF Signal: This project can be used to control the speed of the vehicle by reducing the acceleration of the vehicle near traffic signals. The light on the traffic signal will determine the speed of the vehicle. The microcontroller will reduce the acceleration in case of yellow light and completely stops the vehicle in case of red light. An RF transmitter is located near the traffic lights and a corresponding RF receiver is placed in the vehicle.
- A Long-Range Computational RFID Tag for Temperature and Acceleration Sensing Applications: In this design, an RFID tag featuring sensing and computation capabilities are used. The sensor-augmented RFID tag comprises an ultra-low-power microcontroller, temperature sensor, 3-axis accelerometer, non-volatile storage, and an I2C-RFID chip for communication.
- Automated Irrigation System Using a Wireless Sensor Network and GPRS Module: An automated irrigation system was developed to optimize water use for agricultural crops. It has moisture and temperature sensors placed in the root zone of the plants. A microcontroller is programmed with threshold values of temperature and soil moisture. The motor is turned on or off based on these values.
- Bank Locker Security System: Bank lockers and safety deposit boxes are a secure way of storing valuables. The system designed here is a microcontroller based security system for lockers with RFID tag and GSM module. Only the authorized person with the correct RFID can have access to the locker and the GSM system sends notifications to the registered user.
- Biomedical Monitoring SystemÂ using AT89S52: A real-time biomedical parameter monitoring system is developed in this project. Several critical parameters like body temperature, heart rate and ECG are continuously monitored by the sensors and send that information to the microcontroller. The microcontroller compares the data and sends the required message to doctors and nurses with the help of GSM module.
- Bluetooth Energy Meter: A Bluetooth based energy meter data acquisition and billing system is proposed. It consists of a microcontroller, Bluetooth, RS232 connection to a PC and an LCD. The readings are acquired without ant human intervention and both the customer and the electricity board are notified so that future verification can be easy.
- Bidirectional Visitor Counter Using IR sensors: Visitor counter is an important task in large gatherings, auditoriums, clubs, seminars etc. Manual counting will often result in errors. A microcontroller based bidirectional counter is proposed here. The system uses two sets of IR transmitter Â– receiver pair and the count is based on the interruption of the transmission of the IR signal.
- Cell Phone Controlled Robotic Vehicle: The aim of this project is to develop a cell phone controlled robotic vehicle using DTMF technology. The advantages of DTMF control over RF communication are wide range, minimal interface and very robust. A microcontroller, a DTMF decoder and a motor driver are integrated in the system. Such robot has a huge number of applications in mines, military etc.
- Car parking monitoring system: Car parking in heavy business areas is a big hassle. Improper parking causes inconvenience to other cars. The aim of this project is to develop an intelligent car parking monitoring system. It is developed using a microcontroller and SCADA network. The advantages of this project are low cost, high efficiency and low maintenance.
- Cell Phone Controlled Robot with Fire Detection Sensors: A DTMF based robot with multiple sensors is built here. The cell phone on the robot will receive a DTMF tone when a key is pressed on the user’s cell phone. The tone is decoded by a microcontroller and the motors are activated accordingly. It consists of obstacle detector, UV light sensor and fire sensor.
- Dual Mode Robot: Obstacle Detector and RF Controlled: A dual mode operating robot is designed in this project. In one mode, it can act as an obstacle detector robot and in other mode, it can act as an RF controlled robot. A PIC microcontroller is used as the main processing unit with obstacle detector, RF communication link and motor driver integrated to it. It has a wide range of applications like surveillance, tough environments like mines etc.
- Density Based Traffic Signal System using 8051 Microcontroller: Traffic congestion is a serious issue is major cities. Large red light delays can also cause congestion because the timing is programmed and not dependent on live traffic. The system developed here uses IR sensors, which are placed on all sides of a signal junction, to monitor the traffic density. All these IR sensors feed the information to a microcontroller, which then controls the traffic signals according to the traffic density on each side.
- Embedded Web Tech in Traffic Monitoring System: Traffic monitoring system enables in a smooth flow of traffic in critical junctions and crossings. In this article, an embedded web technology based traffic monitoring system is designed. The embedded web server consists of an ARM based embedded processor, wireless technologies like GSM, ZigBee, RFID etc. It is divided into traffic monitoring unit and signaling unit.
- Embedded System Based Vehicle Speed Control System Using Wireless Technology: One of the major cause for road accidents is over speed. An embedded system is developed to monitor the speed of the vehicle and alarm the driver in case of over speed. It is a microcontroller based system with GPS integrated to it, so that live traffic updates can be received and displayed on the LCD. A speed control driver is also integrated to the system which automatically alerts the driver.
- Embedded Automobile Engine Locking System Using GSM Technology: A microcontroller based embedded system is proposed for automobile engine locking. The mode of communication is through GSM. The system is a low-cost and easy to implement anti-theft system for automobiles. The automobile can be ignited and locked via GSM by sending appropriate codes. In case of any unauthorized entry or ignition, an SMS is sent to the registered mobile number.
- Embedded System Based Air Pollution Detection in Vehicles: Embedded System Based Air Pollution Detection in Vehicles: Air pollution is one of the major concerns throughout the world. This system is used to detect air pollution. It consists of Carbon monoxide sensor and LPG sensor. The CO sensor is placed near the emission outlet of the vehicle and the LPG sensor is placed near pipe line in order detect any leakages. Whenever the emission is more than the threshold value, the buzzer alerts the user.
- Embedded Surveillance System Using PIR Sensor: Security against theft, crime, fire etc. is very important in urban life. Ordinary security systems use cameras and heavy data processing is required. A PIR (Passive InfraRed) based embedded surveillance system is developed in this project. It consists of microcontroller, PIR sensor, ultrasonic sensor and pressure sensor embedded as a system. The microcontroller can trigger a web camera to capture images and send it to the user via internet.
- Four Quadrant DC Motor Speed Control with Microcontroller: A microcontroller based embedded system for four quadrant DC motor speed control is designed in this project. The speed-torque relation in four quadrant operation can be controlled by the pulse width modulated signals that are produced by the microcontroller. Speed as well as the direction of the DC motor can be controlled.
- Fingerprint Based Electronic Voting Machine: Electronic Voting Machine (EVM) is a very innovative system which enables in efficient voting operation. But the disadvantage of the existing EVMÂ’s is that there is no way to authorize the voter. The article proposes a PIC microcontroller based EVM with integrated fingerprint scanner. Such system allows the concept of authorization and can check for eligibility and also avoid false votes.
- GSM Based Smart Surveillance System using PIR sensors: Home surveillance systems are of growing importance in order to have a safe and secure home. A smart surveillance system is proposed in this project which uses PIR sensors and GSM technology. A PIC microcontroller is used to control the signal from PIR sensor and trigger the camera to capture an image and at the same time instruct the GSM module to notify the registered number.
- Head Movement Controlled Human-Computer Interface: We are living in a digital world where computers are a basic need. A head movement controlled human Â– computer interface system is developed in this project for people with disabilities. It is a wireless communication system with Xbee modules. The transmitter part, which is attached to the head, consists of tilt sensor, eye brow sensor and a micro phone. All these are integrated to a microcontroller along with voice recognition module.
- IC Tester Using 89S52 Microcontroller: Integrated circuits (ICÂ’s) are a complex piece of equipment. They are very sensitive to severe external usage. The aim of this project is to design a microcontroller based IC tester. An 89S52 microcontroller is used along with a keypad, LCD display and a buzzer. The IC is connected to the microcontroller via a 20-pin socket and tested for any faults. All the 74 series ICÂ’s can be tested at gate level.
- Industrial Automation Using Speech Recognition with Wireless Monitoring: Automation in industries helps in increasing the production and chances of errors can be minimized. But even when the processes are automated, they have to be monitored. A wireless monitoring system for industrial automation system with speech recognition is proposed here. It is a microcontroller based system with RF transmitter and receiver to enable wireless communication.
- Image Processing Based Toll Automation Using ANPR: This is an automatic toll payment system based on automatic number plate recognition (ANPR). A camera is used to capture the number plate and using image processing techniques it is converted in to text. A microcontroller based system will analyze the text and deducts the amount based on the information already present in the database. The user is alerted with a text message.
- Integrated Mine Safety Monitoring and Alerting System Using ZigBee & Can Bus: Coal mines are getting deeper day by day. There are many monitoring blind areas which are dangerous. A wireless sensor network based monitoring system is developed. Sensors of temperature, humidity and methane are integrated with a microcontroller. ZigBee and CAN technologies are used in order to reduce the cost of implementation and improve the speed of communication.
- Library Automation Using RFID: RFID can be used in library automation. An ARM7 microcontroller will control the RFID reader and also a keypad and an LCD display are integrated to it. The RFID tag for student and the book are scanned when approach to a control point. Such automation will reduce queues and waiting at libraries.
- Microcontroller based Digital Over voltage Protection system for Home Use: The project describes a system capable of providing low voltage and under voltage protection for electrical appliances. It is a simple and low cost system based on PIC microcontroller. It can be used to protect sensitive consumer apparatus like T.V., refrigerator, etc. from voltage surges. The designed system is capable of withstanding a load up to 2KVA.
- Power Saver for Industries & Commercial Establishments: The usage of power in industries, corporate offices and other commercial establishments is huge. The aim of this project is to implement a system which helps in reducing the power usage substantially. The embedded system consists of microcontroller, several relays, zero crossing voltage and current detectors, a shunt capacitor bank etc. A display is also integrated so that vital parameters are displayed.
- Pattern Recognition Using IR: The security in touchscreen based devices is less as the pattern is visible. With the increasing risks of security breaching, it is very much necessary to find an alternative to increase security of devices/safes. For this application, the IR based pattern recognition system is proposed that can be very useful in improving security protocols. A microcontroller, infrared based touchscreen, photodiodes, and an LED display are integrated in the system. So, by using this system security can be enhanced.
- PIC Based Greenhouse Monitoring and Controlling System: Greenhouse gases are a serious concern as they are the main cause for Global warming. Modern buildings are equipped with advanced systems, which help in reducing the emission of greenhouse gases. A PIC microcontroller based embedded system is developed which helps in monitoring and controlling greenhouse conditions. Sensors like temperature, moisture, humidity and light intensity help the microcontroller in the greenhouse environment.
- Railway Track Security System: Railways is one of the major means of transportation in many countries. Railway tracks are frequently inspected for any faults so that major accidents can be avoided. An embedded system is developed here which is used to identify any faults in railway track and send that information to the nearest station via ZigBee protocol. A track sensing device is integrated to a microcontroller along with ZigBee and motor driver.
- Rotary Automated Car Parking System: Almost all major cities face a similar problem when it comes to car parking: lack of proper parking space. The project described here illustrates a method for efficient parking in limited parking space by employing a rotary automated car parking system. It consists of a microcontroller, RFID tags, IR sensors, relay driver and a voltage regulator.
- RFID based Secured Access system: Automatic Identification (Auto-ID) has become a significant system in control and security applications, in industries where a product has to be tracked in the process of supply chain or identification of products during sales or services. A microcontroller based secured access system is developed using RFID tags.
- RFID and GPS Combination Approach Implementation in Fisher Boat Tracking System: In this project, a Fisher Boat Tracking System using RFID and GPS techniques is developed. RFID is used for indoor tracking and GPS is used for outdoor tracking. Combining both these tracking systems will allow a cost effective fisher boat tracking system and is much simpler to implement than wired system. It can be used to communicate with and localize fisher boats.
- Real Time Patient Monitoring System Based On ECG Signals: Cardiovascular diseases are one of the major causes of death in the world. In this project, a cell phone based monitoring for cardiovascular diseases is designed. The ECG signals are continuously monitored and can detect abnormal cardiovascular disease conditions.
- Sound Localizing Camera: The iPhone camera platform designed in this project can turn its direction to face wherever a nearby hand-clapping or other similar sharp impulse comes from. If a person claps hands for more than once in the same direction in reference with the mobile phone, this platform will instruct the camera to take a picture for each clap detected. If the person moves to a different location and claps his hands, the camera platform will adjust its direction accordingly. The system can distinguish between hand claps and most surrounding background noise such as normal talking. A microcontroller with servo motor will control the camera. Apple remote ear pod will control the shutter.
- Smart Water Tank Pump Switcher: This system reads the water level in overhead tank and switches the pump (motor) on or off depending on the water level. Magnetic float switches are used in order to activate the sensors that detect low level and high level. An additional sensor can be installed in the basement tank (if any) so that the motor can turn off when there is no water and prevent any damage from over running an empty motor.
- Smart Card for Banking with Highly Enhanced Security System: Banking fraud is a major areas of crime. High security system for both online and offline banking transactions are being implemented. To control bank frauds, a highly enhanced security system for banking with a smart card is proposed in this article. A smart card or ATM card with high secure password is integrated with finger print scanner for authentication and GSM module for notification is integrated with a microcontroller.
- Smart Metering and Home Automation Solutions for Next Decade Using ZigBee Technology: Electricity is a primary need in our day to day life. The usage of electricity has substantially increased in the recent times. This project is to enable a smart meter which updates the user about the energy consumption. The user can set a value of power and when it reaches the preset value, the line gets tripped. The meter information is sent to the electricity board via ZigBee protocol.
- Safety Timer for Home Appliances: There is always a chance of voltage fluctuations in the main power supply. Electrical and electronic appliances like T.V., personal computer, refrigerator etc. require a safe range of voltage supply in order to function properly. This project ensures that the voltage fluctuations i.e. low and high voltages are cut off. It also displays the present voltage and the temperature. The lower and upper ranges can be programmable as they are not unique to all the appliances.
- Speed Control Unit Designed for a DC Motor: In this project, a system for speed control for DC motor using PIC 16F877A microcontroller is designed. High performance DC motors are a huge necessary in several industrial operations. All these motors require a speed controlling mechanism. Precise speed, torque and direction are very important for a process to be successful. The system is also integrated with a temperature sensor so that live temperature can be displayed on LCD.
- Solar Powered Auto irrigation System: The article illustrates a solar powered auto irrigation system. Plants in gardens, crops infields etc. have to be watered when there is enough sunlight. A microcontroller, humidity sensor, temperature sensor, water level sensor for water storage unit, light sensor etc. are embedded into a single system. A motor driver is used to operate the motor that is powered by a battery charged from solar power.
- Solar Tracking System for Optimal Power Generation Embedded System Project: Renewable energy sources are very useful Alternative sources of electricity. Solar and wind are the two main sources. The purpose of this project is to develop a solar tracking system so that the solar panels can be oriented in the direction of maximum sunlight. A microcontroller is integrated with a tracking system and motor driving block. An LCD is used to display different stats like time, voltage etc.
- Speed Synchronization of Multiple Motors in Industries: Industries use a lot of motors: both AC and DC. Synchronization of several motors is major requirement in certain process operations. The aim of this project is to develop a system which helps in speed synchronization of multiple motors in industries. A microcontroller is used to monitor the speed of multiple motors using speed sensors and controls the speed of all the motors to synchronize them. An RF based communication is used between the main controlling unit and individual motors.
- Temperature Controller Using PIC Microcontroller: Temperature is a deciding factor in many industrial processes. A slight variation in temperature may change the output and the finished product might not be the desired product. The design of a temperature controller for industries is illustrated here. The design is based on PIC and it controls a relay based on the temperature. This system can be used in industries and laboratories.
- Touch Screen Based Remote Controlled Robotic Vehicle for Stores Management: A wireless robotic control with touch screen as the input device is designed here. A microcontroller is used to control the system which has an RF transmitter and receiver. The touch screen is associated to the transmitter section and the microcontroller at the receiver section controls the motor for forward, backward, left or right turns. The range of the RF communication link is 200 meters.
- The Design of the Scene of the Accident Alarm System Based on ARM and GPS: This system implements a GSM based communication method to transmit data to the preset of treatment centers whenever an accident occurs. The vehicle is equipped with a GSM and a GPS module. The treatment center process the data received from the GSM module of the vehicle and identifies the location of the vehicle. The GPS module helps in tracking the location and state of the vehicle.
- Tumor recognition Using Matlab and PIC: Image processing is one of the important features used in medical applications. The aim of this project is to process the images using MATLAB and the position of the tumor can be detected.
- Using TV Remote as a Cordless Mouse for the Computer: Mouse is an important input device for computers. In this project, a T.V. remote is made to work as a mouse for the computer/laptop. 8051 microcontroller is used to control the operation and a RC-5 protocol enables the remote control operation. It can be operated in two modes: normal mouse and remote for windows media centre.
- Underground Cable Fault Distance Locator: Underground cables have less visual and environmental impact. Internet, telephone and even power cables are installed as underground cables. The aim of this project is to implement a fault detection system in underground cables. The system measures the distance between the base station and the faulty location and displays it on an LCD. It is based on Ohm’s law and a microcontroller is used to control the operation.
- Ultra-Fast Acting Electronic Circuit Breaker: Circuit breaker is a very important electrical equipment that is used to protect the circuit from overload and short circuit. A PIC microcontroller based electronic circuit breaker is designed which acts as an ultra-fast acting switch. A current transformer is used along with a MOSFET and relay. The preset current and the load current are compared and relay is switched by the PIC accordingly.
- Utilization of ZigBee Transceiver in Agriculture and Structural Analysis: It is a microcontroller based system with ZigBee transmitter and receiver. Temperature, moisture and humidity sensors are integrated to the microcontroller and are wirelessly transmitted with the help of ZigBee and GSM technologies. This system helps farmers in understanding field conditions like temperature, soil moisture and humidity. This can also be used as a structural analysis system and for this we need to integrate an accelerometer sensor.
- Wireless Home Automation System with Multiple Sensors: This project integrates different sensors to build a wireless home automation system. The first sensor is a motion sensor which uses passive IR sensor. The second sensor is a smoke detector that can detect propane, hydrogen, methane, butane and smoke. Finally a temperature sensor along with a thermoelectric device is used. All these sensors are connected to a microcontroller which can communicate with the user through RF transmitters.
- Wireless Control of Pick and Place Robotic Arm Using an Android Application: It is an Android application controlled pick and place robotic arm. It is designed with soft catching grip in order to avoid extra pressure on the suspended object. Four motors are used: two for the movement of the robot and two for arm and gripper movement. These motors are driven by a microcontroller which is connected with a Bluetooth device.
- Wireless Gesture-Controlled Robot: A robot that is wirelessly controlled by hand gestures is built in this project. Similar conceptual robots are used in robotic arms that can be used in hazardous environments, medical surgeries, etc. An accelerometer is used to keep track of the position of the hand.
- Wireless Sensor Networks Based Monitoring and Controlling of Food Storage System using ZigBee & Bluetooth Modules: Temperature and humidity are the two main parameters that are to be maintained in a food storage system. The aim of this project is to implement a wireless sensor network consisting of temperature and humidity sensors in order to monitor and control food storage systems. The data from these sensors is collected by PIC microcontroller and is transmitted to a remote control unit via ZigBee and Bluetooth protocols.
- ZigBee Based Remote Monitoring of Temperature and Relative Humidity Using PIC: Temperature and humidity are two major climatic parameters which have an impact on human comfort. The aim of this project is to design a system for remote monitoring of temperature and relative humidity over ZigBee network. A PIC microcontroller is used to communicate with all the sensors and control the data that is transmitted via ZigBee.
- ZigBee Technology For Home Automation and Security: A ZigBee based wireless home automation system is proposed here. A ZigBee transmitter is associated with a PC via RS232 and the required signals or commands can be sent from PC using its hyper terminal. An Atmega 128 microcontroller is used in this project, which decodes the signals from ZigBee network and activates the respective relays accordingly.
- Embedded System Based Submersible Motor Control for Agricultural Irrigation Using GSM: An embedded system is designed for submersible motor so that it doesn’t dry run or over load or single phase. A PIC microcontroller is integrated with voltage sensing circuit, comparator circuit and phase sequence checking circuit. A GSM module is used which sends and receives messages from the user and can automatically turn ON or OFF the motor.
- FPGA Based Embedded System for Industrial Power Plant Boiler Automation Using GSM Technology: The aim of this project is to develop an embedded system for power plant boiler automation. It uses an FPGA as the main controlling system and GSM technology for communication. A set of temperature sensors are used to continuously monitor the temperature of the boilers and drives the relays accordingly. There is a flame detector and water level sensor for each boiler.
- Missile Detection by Ultrasonic and Auto Destroy System: An embedded system for missile detection and auto destruction is developed in this project. It uses an ATmega32 microcontroller with ultrasonic sensors (SONAR) for detection of missiles. It uses RF communication and also has a camera for wireless video transmission.
- Industry Based Automatic Robotic Arm: The use of robotics in industries will help in automation of the process and speeds up the production / manufacturing. An industry based robotic arm is designed as an embedded system. The functionalities of a robotic arm can be similar to that of a human arm. A microcontroller is embedded with a robotic arm that consists of motors. There is an obstacle sensor so that accidents can be avoided. The end of the robotic arm can be used for anything like gripper, welding, painting, surgery etc.
- Advanced Embedded Wireless Robot With Motion Detection System And Live Video / Audio Transmission: In this project, a wireless robot with motion detection and live transmission of audio and video is proposed. RF based communication is used for wireless transmission and the microcontroller decodes the signal and drives the robot’s motors. A camera with microphone is mounted on the robot and the video and audio signals are transmitted that can be viewed on a T.V. Such robots can be very useful in hazardous environments and dangerous locations.
- Gesture Recognition Based Wireless control Using MEMS: Human Â– computer interaction has rapidly evolved with the growth and advancements in technology. An embedded system for wireless control using gesture recognition is developed. The system uses a PIC microcontroller and a MEMS accelerometer mounted on a glove along with an RF / ZigBee transmitter. The receiver decodes the signals and drives the motors according to the gesture.
Are you interested to know about any other project ideas? Then visit the following pages:
Note: Visit this site regularly for latest updates on various electronics projects.