A MIDI interface is a device that allows you to connect your MIDI devices to your computer. This allows you to control your MIDI devices from your computer, and to record MIDI data from your MIDI devices into your computer.
There are many different types of MIDI interfaces available, but the most common type is the USB MIDI interface. USB MIDI interfaces are easy to use and connect to your computer, and they are relatively inexpensive.
When choosing a USB MIDI interface, there are a few key factors to consider, including:
- Connectivity: The most important thing to consider when choosing a USB MIDI interface is the connectivity. Make sure that the interface has the ports that you need to connect all of your MIDI gear. Most interfaces have at least one MIDI input and one MIDI output port. However, some interfaces have more ports, which can be useful if you have a lot of Audio gear.
- Number of Channels: The number of channels supported by the interface will determine how many devices you can connect to it simultaneously. Most interfaces support 16 channels, but some support more.
- Supported Software: Make sure the interface is compatible with the DAW software you use. Most USB MIDI interfaces are compatible with all major DAWs, but it is always best to check to make sure.
In this article, we will review some of the best USB MIDI interfaces on the market. We will also discuss some of the “key features” to look for when Choosing a USB MIDI Interface.
- Best USB MIDI Interfaces List
- Best USB MIDI Interfaces Reviews
- Things To Consider While Buying the Best USB MIDI Interface
- USB MIDI Interface – FAQs
Best USB MIDI Interfaces List
|Best USB Midi Interface
|No.of MIDI channels
|M-Audio MIDI Interface
|MPC Beats, Ableton Live Lite, Touch Loops, Creative FX Collection, Xpand!2, Mini Grand, DB33, and RevalverMPC Beats, Ableton Live Lite, Touch Loops, Creative FX Collection, Xpand!2, Mini Grand, DB33, and Revalver
|Check On Amazon
|PreSonus USB MIDI Interface
|USB 2.0 (3.0 compatible)
|Ableton Live Lite, DAW
|Check On Amazon
|Universal Audio USB MIDI Interface
|Ableton, Melodyne, Virtual Drummer, Marshall, Ampeg
|Check On Amazon
|MOTU USB Midi Interface
|Performer Lite, Live Lite production
|Check On Amazon
|Midiplus USB MIDI Interface
|Check On Amazon
Best USB MIDI Interfaces Reviews
The M-Audio AIR 192|6 is a fantastic tool for making music and recordings. It can capture sounds with incredible clarity, making your music or podcasts sound professional. This device offers two different ways to connect your microphones and instruments, ensuring that you can use your favorite gear. It also has a convenient volume knob and LED meters to help you keep an eye on your sound levels. Plus, it allows you to listen to your recordings in real-time without any delays, which is great for monitoring your work as you go.
The best part is that it comes with a bunch of useful software to get you started on your music-making journey. With programs like Ableton Live Lite and Auto-Tune Unlimited, you’ll have all the tools you need right at your fingertips. So, if you’re looking to create high-quality music or recordings, the M-Audio AIR 192|6 is a smart choice.
- Studio-quality audio recording and monitoring (24-bit/192kHz)
- 2 dedicated XLR+¼” balanced combo inputs
- 2 all-new ¼” instrument inputs with specially designed gain and impedance stage
- Pristine Crystal preamps and ultra-pristine A/D converters
- Stereo ¼” outs and ¼” headphone out with independent level control
- 5-pin MIDI In / Out connections
- Rugged metal chassis
- Large central volume control
- VU LED meters
- USB/Direct knob for zero-latency monitoring
- Includes MPC Beats, Ableton Live Lite, Touch Loops, Creative FX Collection, Xpand2, Mini Grand, DB33, and Revalver software
- 2-month subscription of Auto-Tune Unlimited included
- 6-month Subscription to Reason+ Included
- Excellent audio quality
- Versatile connectivity options
- Included software
- Easy to use
- It has some problems with Windows 10 drivers
The PreSonus Studio 24c is a fantastic device for people who love making music or podcasts. It’s like a little box that helps you record your voice or instruments and make them sound really good. With this, you can plug in microphones and instruments, and it will make them sound awesome. Plus, it’s super easy to use. It even comes with special software that you can use to record and edit your music or podcasts. This software is usually expensive, but it’s included for free with the Studio 24c.
The Studio 24c also has a cool feature called direct monitoring, which means you can hear what you’re recording without any delay. This is important because it helps you play and sing in time with your music. It’s small and tough, so you can take it with you if you want to record music on the go.
- Portable and bus-powered
- 2 front-panel combo mic/line/instrument inputs with PreSonus XMAX-L solid-state mic preamps
- 2 rear-panel line outputs
- MIDI I/O
- Onboard direct monitoring control
- Studio-grade converters allow for up to 24-bit or 96 kHz recording and playback
- Ladder-style LED monitoring and low-latency direct monitoring
- Studio One Artist and Ableton Live Lite DAW Recording Software included
- Studio Magic Plug-In Suite – over 1,000 USD worth of computer recording software plug-ins
- Excellent sound quality
- Wide range of features
- Portable design
- It Provides only 44 dB of gain(instead of 50 dB)
The Universal Audio Volt 2 is a cool gadget, It’s like a magic sound box that makes your voice and instruments sound amazing. You can plug in microphones and instruments, and it will record them with all the little details. It even has a special mode that makes your voice sound warm and full, just like the old recording studios.
But that’s not all! It also comes with special computer programs for making music, which are usually expensive, but they’re free with the Volt 2. You can take this gadget with you anywhere because it’s small and tough. It can connect to other musical stuff like keyboards and guitars, and it even has a special mode to make your headphones sound great.
So, if you like making music and want a tool that makes everything sound awesome, the Universal Audio Volt 2 is a great choice. It’s affordable, and it has all the features you need to sound like a pro.
- 2-in/2-out audio connections with XLR/TRS combo inputs and balanced TRS outputs
- Vintage Mic Preamp mode for rich, full sound
- Studio-quality headphone amp with independent volume control
- MIDI In/Out connections for controlling external MIDI devices
- 48V phantom power for condenser microphones
- Direct Monitoring for latency-free recording
- 30-day free trial to UAD Spark, an ever-expanding library of world-class plug-ins and instruments
- Compact and portable design
- Includes UAD Spark free trial
- Its software provides only 14 days free trial
The MOTU M4 is a small but powerful gadget for folks who love music, recording, and podcasts. It’s like a magic box that makes your music and recordings sound amazing. With this device, you can connect your microphones and instruments, and it will capture every sound with great clarity.
What makes it special is that it’s super quick and won’t make you wait – you can listen in real-time without a delay, which is awesome for recording and performing live. Plus, it has a fancy screen with colorful meters to show your sound levels, making it easy to get the perfect volume.
If you’re into podcasting or live streaming, it’s got a cool feature that lets you send computer sounds back to your computer, which is handy for creating high-quality live broadcasts. The gadget also includes software to help you make music and a bunch of extra sounds and loops to get you started.
So, if you want a simple, high-quality tool for making great music and recordings, the MOTU M4 is an excellent choice. It’s easy to use and has all the features you need to sound like a pro.
- 4-in/4-out USB-C audio interface with best-in-class speed and ultra-low latency
- Full-color LCD with clear, detailed level meters for all inputs and outputs
- Convenient loopback channels for easy live streaming and podcasting
- ESS Sabre32 Ultra DAC Technology for pristine audio quality
- Ultra-clean preamp circuits with measured -129 dBu EIN on the mic inputs
- Includes Performer Lite or Live Lite production software, plus loops, one-shots, and sounds from industry leaders
- Pristine audio quality
- Ultra-low latency
- Versatile connectivity options
- Convenient loopback channels
- Includes production software and sample library
- Compact and affordable design
- Too Expensive
The Midiplus 2×2 USB MIDI Interface is a user-friendly and cost-effective solution for anyone wanting to connect MIDI devices to their computer. With two MIDI inputs and two outputs, it offers flexibility for both beginners and experienced musicians.
This plug-and-play interface requires no additional drivers and is compatible with major operating systems, making it hassle-free for all users. Its affordability is a significant advantage, making it a practical choice for those on a budget.
Moreover, it’s built to last with high-quality components and even comes with a one-year warranty. If you’re looking to expand your musical horizons with MIDI connectivity, the Midiplus 2×2 is a dependable and accessible choice.
- 2 MIDI inputs and 2 MIDI outputs
- Up to 32 channels of MIDI in and out
- USB class-compliant for Mac and PC
- USB-MIDI interface
- USB interface
- MIDI OUT interface x2
- MIDI IN interface x2
- 16 MIDI Channels
- Connection to USB-equipped PC or Mac
- USB powered – no external power supply required
- No driver needed
- Easy to add MIDI connectivity to your computer
- Connect up to 2 MIDI keyboards or MIDI hardware to your computer
- USB powered
- Compact and portable
- The connection port of the USB port is loose
Things To Consider While Buying the Best USB MIDI Interface
When choosing a USB MIDI interface, there are a few factors to consider:
When it comes to selecting the right USB MIDI interface, connectivity should top your list of priorities. Ensure that the interface boasts the necessary ports to seamlessly link all your MIDI equipment. Typically, you’ll find at least one MIDI input and one MIDI output on most interfaces. Yet, for those with an extensive array of audio gear, interfaces with multiple ports can prove invaluable. These additional connections empower you to effortlessly integrate and control your entire musical arsenal, making your music production or live performances a breeze. In sum, the right interface will be the backbone of your MIDI setup, so choose wisely.
2. Number of Channels
MIDI channels allow you to send and receive different streams of MIDI data. If you are only planning on using one MIDI device, then a 16-channel interface will be sufficient. However, if you need to use multiple devices, then you will need an interface with more channels.
3. Supported Software
Most USB MIDI interfaces play nice with popular DAWs, but it’s smart to double-check. Some interfaces even throw in bonus software like DAWs and virtual instruments. If you’re new to music production, this package deal is an awesome way to kickstart your journey. So, ensure compatibility and explore the extras for a smoother musical experience.
4. Build Quality
Look for a well-built interface that can withstand the rigors of travel and live performance.
5. High-Resolution Recording
If you plan on recording high-resolution MIDI data, make sure the interface supports 24-bit recording.
6. Loopback Recording
Loopback recording allows you to record the audio output of your computer back into your DAW. This can be useful for creating loops and effects.
Some USB MIDI interfaces require external power, while others can be powered by the USB bus. If you plan on using your interface with a laptop or tablet, then you will need an interface that can be powered by the USB bus.
The best USB MIDI interface for you will depend on your individual needs and budget. Based on the product reviews above, I would recommend the following USB MIDI interfaces:
- Best Overall: M-Audio AIR 192×6 USB C MIDI Audio Interface
- Best Value: PreSonus Studio 24c 2×2, 192 kHz, USB Audio Interface
- Best For High-Quality Sound: UA Volt 2 USB Audio Interface
All of these interfaces offer excellent sound quality and reliability. They are also compatible with a wide range of music software and hardware.
USB MIDI Interface – FAQs
Ans: MIDI stands for Musical Instrument Digital Interface. It is a protocol that allows electronic musical instruments, computers, and other devices to communicate and synchronize with each other.
Ans: Yes, many USB MIDI interfaces are compatible with smartphones and tablets. However, you may need an adapter or OTG (On-The-Go) cable to connect them.
Ans: Not necessarily. While a MIDI controller can enhance your music production experience, it’s not a requirement. You can use a USB MIDI interface to connect your existing MIDI-equipped instruments to your computer.
Ans: Absolutely. There are high-end USB MIDI interfaces designed to meet the needs of professional musicians and producers, offering advanced features and exceptional performance.
Ans: Yes, many USB MIDI interfaces come with multiple MIDI ports, allowing you to connect and control several MIDI devices simultaneously.
Ans: Most USB MIDI interfaces are compatible with both Mac and Windows operating systems, ensuring versatility.
Ans: MIDI latency refers to the delay in the transmission of MIDI data. Lower latency ensures a more responsive and real-time experience when playing instruments.
Ans: Setting up a USB MIDI interface typically involves connecting it to your computer, installing drivers (if required), and configuring your music software to recognize the interface.
Feel Free to share your queries with us in the comments section below. We will respond promptly and resolve your questions regarding its purchasing and usage.