Did your Xbox One get stuck with a frustrating green screen?
If you’re a gamer or just enjoy using your Xbox One for fun, constantly experiencing the green screen problem can be incredibly frustrating. You are not alone in fixing this problem quickly and getting back to your gaming adventures or streaming sessions without any interruption.
In this article, we will tell you why xbox one green screen and step by step guide to fix Xbox One green screen problem, so that you can regain full functionality and participate in gaming experience if you’re interested in it. Let’s dive into this story and grab our Xbox One and get back on the road!
There is another common problem with Xbox One consoles, famously known as the Xbox One Black Screen of Death. Here, the Xbox One is stuck on a black screen. We already covered this issue in another guide.
Check this: Getting Windows Ready Stuck
- Is Xbox One Stuck on Green Screen?
- Some Reasons Why Xbox One Stuck on Green Screen
- How to Fix Xbox One Stuck on Green Screen?
Is Xbox One Stuck on Green Screen?
After the success of the Xbox 360, Microsoft announced Xbox One in 2013 with a better CPU, graphics, controller, and UI.
With its superior hardware and software, we expect Xbox One to run smoothly forever. But sadly, this is not the case with some Xbox One consoles.
There were several users who reported that their Xbox One is stuck on the green loading screen. Even though this is not similar to the Blue Screen of Death on Windows machines, the community started calling this the Green Screen of Death.
So, what exactly is the meaning of the Xbox One Green Screen of Death or Why is Xbox One Stuck on Green Screen?
When you turn on the Xbox One console, it boots up till the Xbox One logo appears on the screen with green background and is stuck there. The screen says “Loading…” but the system doesn’t boot further.
Some Reasons Why Xbox One Stuck on Green Screen
Microsoft never really revealed the exact reason for Xbox One’s Green Screen of Death. But some users and the community put together a small list of possible reasons why their Xbox One is Stuck on Green Screen.
Note that these reasons are not official and there could be other reasons that we did not list here.
1. Corrupted Hard Drive
One of the common reasons why Xbox One is Stuck on Green Screen was a damaged or corrupted internal hard drive of Xbox One.
The problem can be physical damage to the hard drive or system file corruption.
2. Communication Error with Microsoft’s Servers
The main part of the Xbox One experience is its online media delivery in the form of Xbox Network (previously Xbox Live). Microsoft deployed a huge number of servers all around the world for Xbox users so that users get great dynamic in-game content and other online features.
If there is any connectivity issue with Microsoft’s servers, then there is a chance that your Xbox One console will be stuck on a green loading screen.
3. Failed or Faulty System Update
There are two reasons for the “Xbox One Stuck on Green Screen” error associated with system updates.
One is due to a failed or incomplete system update. And the other is due to a faulty system update. There are some reports that Microsoft released an untested or improperly tested system update to Xbox One consoles.
If your console received such an update, then you might face a green screen of death.
4. Other Reasons
There may be other reasons for Xbox One Stuck on Green Screen such as software corruption, hardware failure, etc.
How to Fix Xbox One Stuck on Green Screen?
If you are worried about your Xbox One Stuck on Green Screen, then follow some of the generic troubleshooting solutions that we mentioned below.
1. Hard Reset Xbox One
If the problem is due to a memory error or a temporary glitch, then you can reset the console and see if it goes away.
The procedure to reset Xbox One console is very simple. Just press and hold the power button on the console for at least 10 seconds.
Your console will reboot and if there is no further software or hardware issue, then your Xbox One will not be stuck on the green screen.
2. Offline System Update
If you are facing Xbox One Green Screen of Death and the screen is stuck on the Loading page, then perform an offline update. All you need is a working computer or laptop with an internet connection and a USB Flash Drive.
- Take a USB Flash Drive of at least 8GB capacity and format it as NTFS.
- Download the “Offline System Update” OSU1 file from Xbox’s official download link. This will download a ‘zip’ file.
- Unzip the contents to a directory on your computer.
- Plug the NTFS formatted USB Flash Drive into the computer.
- Browse through the contents of this directory and copy the “$SystemUpdate” file to the USB drive.
- Unplug the USB Flash Drive.
- Power off your Xbox One and unplug the power cord from the outlet.
- Wait for 30 seconds to 1 minute and plug back the power cord. Do not power it on yet.
- On the left side, you can see the pair button and, on the front, there is the Eject button. Press and hold both these buttons. While holding them, press the Xbox button once.
- Continue holding those two buttons (Pair and Eject) for at least 10 to 15 seconds.
- You will get two “Power-up” tones a couple of seconds apart. Release the buttons after the second tone.
- The console will power up and starts the troubleshooting page.
- Now, plug the USB Flash Drive into the USB Port of the Xbox One and select the “Offline System Update” option using your controller.
- The console will update the software and might restart several times. If everything goes well, the console should boot to the home screen.
3. Factory Reset Xbox One
- If your Xbox One is powered on, press and hold the Xbox button on your console for at least 10 seconds to force shutdown.
- Press and hold the Pair and Eject buttons. While holding these buttons, press the Xbox button on the console once.
- You will hear two “power-up” tones, a couple of seconds apart. You can release the buttons after the second tone.
- The console will now boot to the troubleshooting menu.
- You can see a “Reset” option. Select Factory Reset.
- There will be an option to delete only the system files and keep all the games. Depending on your requirement, you can keep the games or delete them.
4. Format the Hard Drive
If there is corruption in the hard drive’s file system, then also you will face the green screen of death issue.
You can format the hard drive and see if you resolved the issue. But before formatting, make sure that you back up all the data as formatting a hard drive will delete all its contents.
5. Repair or Replace Hard Drive
If the Xbox One’s hard drive is seriously damaged, then replacing it is the only way. Sadly, by now, your Xbox One will be out of warranty. So, you can try replacing the hard drive yourself if you are capable of handling it.
But we recommend you to get in touch with a Microsoft authorized service center to get the issue resolved.
Many users of Xbox One faced a common problem where their screen is stuck on a green Xbox loading logo. It will not boot further. This problem is popularly known as the Xbox One Green Screen of Death.
If your Xbox One is Stuck on Green Screen, then there are a couple of simple troubleshooting methods you can follow to fix it.
In this guide, we saw some possible reasons for Xbox One Stuck on Green Screen. After that, we saw how to fix this green screen of death problem using simple and DIY solutions.
We hope that you are able to resolve your Xbox One Stuck on Green Screen problem. If you followed any other procedure than what we mentioned here, then do let us know in the comments section so that other readers can benefit from it.