“The best way to secure everything from upholstery to holiday decorations”.
Be it a DIY enthusiast, hobbyist or professional, the staple gun is a must-have versatile hand tool in their arsenal. It works best in fastening materials where compared to nail guns and Screw guns, especially while working with weaker or thinner materials like plywood, screen, sheathing or fabric without tearing.
They are used in any DIY projects like arts, crafts, wood, masonry, upholstery, roofing nailer and other household work to staple different fabrics, woodworking tools, holiday decorations, laying carpet, delicate moldings or installing house wrap to fasten the joints and thereby increase its sturdiness.
Staple guns come in different shapes, types, and sizes that offer different precision, power and efficiency. Choosing a staple gun among them can be a tricky task. So, while investing in a staple gun, you have to keep these key factors in mind.
- Power Type: There are three main types of staple guns available – manual, electric and pneumatic guns. Except for manual types, both electric and pneumatic need power sources to function. Pneumatic one is more powerful and requires an air compressor to function. While electric guns are powered by a battery or electric outlet. Choose it according to your requirement.
- Supported Staple Size: Different kinds of staples are required for performing different applications. One can find different staple lengths out there, ranging from 3/8-inch – 1 inch (or) 1-inch to 2-inch. You get a staple gun that supports the staples you need to use as per the material.
- Gauge Rating: The thickness rating of most staple guns is mentioned in the gauge. The higher gauge results in a thinner staple, while a lower gauge rating results in thicker ones. The most common all-purpose staple guns are 16, 18, and 20-gauges, in which 16-gauge staple is for heavy-duty application, a 20-gauge staple is for smaller applications.
Also, we have compiled a list of the top-notch staple guns after thorough market research and a detailed “Buying Guide” that helps you in selecting the right one from the list. Take an in-depth look at them to pick your best one.
Top Staple Gun List in 2024
|Best Staple Gun
|Yeahome Staple Gun
|¼ to 9/16 inch
|Check On Amazon
|TOOLZILLA Staple Gun
|Check On Amazon
|Stanley Staple Gun
|1/2, 9/16 to 5/8 inch
|Limited lifetime warranty
|Check On Amazon
|HAUSHOF Staple Gun
|1/4'' & 5/16'' & 3/8''
|Check On Amazon
|WORKPRO Staple Gun
|Check On Amazon
|Neu Master Staple Gun
|5/16 to 5/8 inch
|Check On Amazon
|SHALL Staple Gun
|Check On Amazon
|Arrow Fastener Staple Gun
|1/4-Inch, 5/16-Inch, 3/8-Inch, 1/2-Inch, or 9/16-Inch
|Check On Amazon
|Bielmeier Staple Gun
|9/16 - 5/8 inch
|Check On Amazon
|Metabo HPT Stapler Gun
|½ to ⅝ inch
|Check On Amazon
Top Staple Gun in 2024: Reviews
When it comes to pneumatic tools, YEAHOME is one of the reliable brands. Though it is a lesser-known brand, their products are known to be the best in budget-friendly variant.
Their staple gun has featured as our third product because of its high-quality chromed-steel construction and chrome finish. This tool can accept T-shaped, pin brad, D-type and U-type nails which are suitable for completing different tasks that include upholstery, roofing, decorating, DIY, crafting and others.
It comes with a slip resistant handle and Jam resistant mechanism which makes it easy and convenient to operate. It comes with a quick view window so you can check the number of nails available in the staple gun. A handle lock is also provided to prevent any accidental firing.
- Quick view window
- GS certified
- Easy and convenient to operate
- Handle lock for safety
- Power adjustment
- Heavy-duty construction
- Wide range of applications
- Chrome finishing
- Ergonomic grip
- Customer service is not that great
TOOLZILLA Heavy Duty Staple Gun with 600 Staples is the perfect tool for all your fastening needs. This staple gun is designed to work well for both professionals and people. It is available in silver, light green, or classic black. It is made from strong premium steel. It can design with comfortable design and easy to use, whether you are working on furniture, roofs, wires, or hobbies. This Staple Gun can be adjusted to work with different force levels. It also has a quick jam release feature, that can use it without any annoying interruptions.
This staple gun comes with 600 staples in three types: 200 narrow crown staples, 200 cable staples, and 200 brad nails. It is a tool that represents a symbol of durability, ease of use and functionality. This gives you the flexibility to tackle a wide range of tasks. It is measured in 8.27 x 8.54 x 1.97 inches in size, which is the right size for various tasks, whether they are in tight spaces or larger projects.
- Durable Alloy Steel Construction
- Stylish Color Options
- Versatile with 600 Included Fasteners
- Compact Design for Maneuverability
- Easy Squeeze Operation
- Made from strong alloy steel for durability.
- Available in stylish silver, light green, and classic black.
- Comes with 600 fasteners for various tasks.
- Compact size for maneuvering in different spaces.
- Easy squeeze trigger for user comfort.
- The color options may not suit all preferences.
- Could be considered slightly heavy for prolonged use.
- While versatile, some users may need specific staples not included.
Stanley is another popular brand that has been developing home improvement and renovation tools for general maintenance and home construction for the past 175 years. The brand designs products for professional as well as DIY applications.
This is a heavy-duty electric staple cum braid nail gun that can be used for multiple applications. The tool is compatible with Arrow T-50 heavy-duty staples and 5/8, 9/16, and 1/2 inches brads. The electric staple gun comes with an anti-jam mechanism so that you don’t waste your precious time while operating the tool. It features a dual power level that allows you to staple hard as well as soft materials.
The staple gun is plugged into the electrical socket using a 8 feet power cord. This gives you a lot of freedom to move the staple gun without being restricted by a short power cord. For stapling in tight spots, the staple gun features a flush-nose design that allows the gun access to such tight spots and corners. It has contoured grip that gives you extra comfort while you are operating the tool. One of the best features of this electric staple gun is that it comes with a limited lifetime warranty from the date of purchase.
- 2 in 1 function
- Dual power lever
- 5/8, 9/16, and 1/2 inches brad length
- Flush-nose design
- Contoured grip
- 8 feet power cord
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Suitable for heavy-duty work
- Can staple in tight spots
- Can staple hard and soft materials
- Does not deliver the same power as manual staple guns
The HAUSHOF Light Duty Staple Gun Kit is the best choice for stapling tasks. This kit comes with a versatile staple gun, a bunch of 5/16-inch (8mm) staples, and an useful staple remover. It is designed to simplify your DIY projects, and it can work with different staples like JT21, 6mm, 8mm, and 10mm. It can be used to fix window screens, attach shelf papers, line a closet, do light upholstery, insulate, weatherproof, work with wire mesh, secure carpet pads, or work on canvas. It is comfortable to use for long periods.
The 5/16-inch (8mm) staples are strong and reliable for many tasks. When you need to remove staples or make changes, the kit’s staple remover makes it fast and simple. This kit is must-have for your toolbox, ensuring professional results every time.
- Versatile: Works with various staple types.
- Comfortable: Designed to reduce hand fatigue.
- Includes Staple Remover: Makes adjustments easy.
- Suitable for Multiple Tasks: Great for various DIY projects.
- Pro-Quality Results: Ensures professional outcomes.
- Versatile and compatible with different staples.
- Comfortable to use during extended tasks.
- Includes a staple remover for added convenience.
- Suitable for a wide range of DIY projects.
- Delivers professional-quality results consistently.
- May not be suitable for heavy-duty stapling tasks.
- Staples may need to be reloaded frequently for large projects.
- Some users may prefer a more specialized staple gun for specific tasks.
WORKPRO 6-in-1 Staple Gun is a versatile tool that makes stapling easier for all your projects. It can work with six types of staples and nails, so it is good for different materials and tasks. This comes with a special power switch that makes it easy to adjust for both tough and soft materials, so you can control your staples precisely. You won’t get stuck anymore because anti-jamming feature keeps things running smoothly and saves you time. It is comfortable to use because of the handle’s ergonomic design that’s gentle on your hands.
Also, you get 4000 staples and nails in four types with this staple gun, so you can start your projects right away. Whether you are familiar with doing projects on your own or you’re a professional, this staple gun is dependable tool for your toolkit.
- 6-in-1 functionality for various staples/nails.
- Dual power lever for different materials.
- Anti-jamming mechanism.
- Comfortable ergonomic handle.
- Secure retractable handle lock.
- Comes with 4000 staples/nails in four types.
- Versatile for DIYers and professionals.
- Precise control over stapling.
- Prevents frustrating jams.
- Comfortable to use.
- Safe storage design.
- Generous staple/nail supply.
- No specific cons mentioned.
Neu Master is another popular brand that develops power tools, battery-pack tools, paint sprayer, heat gun, glue gun, and brad stapler. The brand’s products are known for their stylish and ergonomic design along with their superior performance.
This is a versatile gun that allows you to perform 2 in 1 functions – stapling and nailing. Its versatility allows you to use the gun for a wide range of applications including insulation sheet installation, lightweight trim attachment, and general repairs. The staple gun is highly efficient and is capable of delivering 30 shots per minute. With this speed, you can quickly and conveniently complete all of your stapling tasks.
Even if you do not have any experience in using a gun, you will quickly get accustomed to operating this tool. Thanks to the quick-release mechanism as soon as you press the trigger, it will start driving the shots. Besides, the staple gun has a molded grip that allows you to operate it for long hours without any fatigue. There is a viewing window through which you can check the time for refilling the magazine and the quality of nails. It comes with 200 nails and 336 staples. The NTC0060 staple gun is backed with a 2 years warranty from the date of purchase.
- 2 in 1 function
- 5/16 inches to 5/8 inches staple length
- 1/2 inches to 5/8 inches brad nail length
- Staple/Nail viewing window
- Quick-release mechanism
- Power adjusted knob
- Compact and lightweight design
- 2 years warranty
- Multi-purpose tool
- Drives 30 shots per minute
- Comes with 200 nails and 336 staples
- Easy to use and operate
- Not recommended for heavy-duty applications
- Not suitable for crown molding
SHALL 3-in-1 Heavy Duty Staple Gun Kit is a special tool that changes the way you use staplers. This kit is made to be useful, accurate, and easy to use. It helps you do a wide range of projects with skill and confidence.
At its core, this staple gun is a master of versatility. This kit can easily use three different kinds of staples – D-type, U-type, and T-type – for all sorts of jobs like fixing things, crafting, decorating, and more. In every task, it stands ready, unyielding and indomitable.
Use the laser markings to make your stapling more accurate. They show you exactly where to put the staple. The accuracy gets even better with the special knob on the SHALL kit that lets you adjust the stapling power smoothly. The stapler pushes with great control to make sure it works perfectly with the material you’re using. The anti-slip comfort grip, ever-reliable, ensures unwavering control, even during extended stapling sessions. Fatigue and discomfort have no place here.
- Handles three types of staples for various projects.
- Ensures precise staple placement.
- Fine-tune stapling pressure for different materials.
- Prevents frustrating jams.
- Offers a secure and comfortable hold.
- Includes 3000 staples and a remover.
- Suitable for a wide range of applications.
- Easy and comfortable to use.
- Saves time and effort with versatile stapling options.
- Laser markings enhance accuracy.
- Jam clearing system minimizes disruptions.
- Value-packed kit with staples and remover.
- May be considered heavy for extended use.
- Limited staple capacity without reloading.
- Some users may find the power adjustment knob sensitive to fine-tune.
Arrow PT50 Pneumatic Staple Gun is a tool liked by both people who like doing things themselves and those who do it for a living. It’s strong, easy to use, and can do many different jobs. Its compact, lightweight design with a comfortable grip ensures easy handling, and the quick-loading magazine expedites project setup.
This staple gun is good at working with all sorts of things – soft stuff like cloth and tough stuff like thick wood. It is used for fixing and making things like furniture, keeping your house warm, and general fixes. One cool thing about this gun is that it won’t shoot by accident when you’re firing many staples in a row. And if you need to staple a lot quickly, it can do that too.
To use this tool safely, always wear safety glasses, put the staples in the right way, choose the right staple size, and point it away from people when you’re using it. If you’re new to this tool, practice on some leftover materials first to get the hang of how it works. It helps you learn before starting your actual project
- Versatile for various projects and materials.
- Lightweight and comfortable design.
- Safety trigger for misfire prevention.
- Bump fire action for rapid stapling.
- Oil-free maintenance.
- Compatible with home compressors.
- Accommodates multiple staple sizes.
- Versatile and easy to use.
- Comfortable for extended use.
- Enhanced safety features.
- Fast staple placement.
- Low maintenance requirements.
- Compatible with common compressors.
- Flexible staple size options.
- Requires a separate air compressor.
- Staples are sold separately.
- Limited to pneumatic operation.
The Populo Cordless Staple Nail Gun Kit is a 2-in-1 tool that efficiently handles both staples and nails for various home projects. This staple gun is incredibly lightweight, it weighs approximately the same as a tiny bottle of water. Additionally, it is relatively compact, around the size of a small book, making it portable and suitable for usage in confined spaces. Remarkably, this can fire up to 850 staples or 50 pins per minute, showcasing its power and efficiency.
It accommodates T50 staples ranging from 1/4 to 9/16 inch and brad nails from 9/16 to 5/8 inch, making it adaptable to diverse material types and thicknesses. The 1,500mAh lithium-ion battery ensures sustained usage, further enhancing its practicality.
Safety features like the three preventive switches significantly reduce the risk of accidental misfires, prioritizing user safety. Its ability to effectively handle various materials, from fabrics to wood, is appreciated.
- Handles staples and brad nails for diverse applications.
- No compressor, hose, or wires required for freedom of movement.
- USB Type-C port charges the lithium-ion battery in just 2 hours.
- Equipped with 3 safety switches for secure operation.
- Comes with 1200 staples and 400 nails for immediate use.
- Lightweight and compact for extended use without fatigue.
- Versatile, suitable for various materials and DIY projects.
- Quick-release loading magazine and staple level monitoring window for easy operation.
- Rapid firing capability with up to 850 staples per charge.
- One-year warranty for added peace of mind.
- Not suitable for heavy-duty professional tasks.
- Limited nail size compatibility (9/16 – 5/8 inch).
- No mention of a carrying case for portability and storage.
- The 2-hour charging time might be considered relatively long for some users.
- May not be ideal for very large-scale projects due to the battery’s limited capacity.
Metabo is one of the most popular brands of power tools that is known to make heavy-duty and industrial equipment. You can also find a great staple gun offering from Metabo.
HPT or Hitachi Power Tools offers great performance with its Metabo N3804AB3 pneumatic finish stapler. Since it is a finish stapler, it uses thin ¼ inch narrow crown staples. These 18 gauge staples can have a length of ½ inch to 1 ½ inch that is quite high. As a result, this finish stapler can be used for almost all kinds of applications and requirements.
But the best thing about the Metabo HPT finish stapler is that it comes with a 5-year long warranty. When combined with its great build quality, you can expect this staple gun to last much longer than most other options out there. Its magazine can hold up to 100 staples at a time that can save a lot of time as you do not have to refill it again and again. Since it weighs just 2.3 pounds, it is a great compact and portable staple gun option out there
- 18 gauge staple gun
- ½ inch to 1 ½ inch staple length
- 5-year warranty
- Weighs 2.3 pounds
- 100 staple capacity magazine
- Tool-less and quick jam release system
- Powerful and reliable
- Lightweight yet sturdy design
- Large magazine capacity
- Average length support range
- Slightly expensive
Buying Guide for the Best Staple Gun
If you are unsure about selecting the right staple gun from the above list of best staple guns. Don’t worry, we are here with a detailed guide that has all the essential information. Read on to know how to choose the best one, as per your requirement.
Let’s take a closer look into what factors to consider while shopping for the staple gun.
Staple guns come in three main types – manual, electric, and pneumatic, which serve different functions and purposes. Knowing about them in detail will help you to select the right one.
- Manual Staple Guns – Manual staple guns are compact, lightweight, portable, safe to use, and affordable option than their counterparts. These are designed to use straightforward – just pull the gun’s trigger and the staple drive by using the energy from an internal spring. The rate of fire is based on the frequency of pressing the trigger. These easy-to-handle guns are perfect while using a limited number of staples (or) for small projects. But a bit hard to use them in large projects, why because these guns require more muscle power to operate. Also, don’t buy heavier models, as they make you get tired easily. Manual staple guns are available in steel, plastic, and aluminum. Steel and aluminum staple guns are sturdy, durable, less fragile, and lasts longer. They are perfect for heavy-duty materials, large projects, and outdoor use. Plastic guns are lightweight and easy to handle, which makes them ideal for DIY household projects. These handheld spring-loaded guns are perfect for hanging exterior decorations.
- Electric Staple Guns – Unlike manual staple guns, they won’t need finger strength or physical effort for stapling. They deliver more precision and power to work quickly and effectively to staple in corners, ceilings, and tight spaces. Since its trigger require less force to operate, which means less fatigue and long working hours with ease on the arms. They suit best for upholstery or carpet jobs. Electric staple guns come in two variants – corded (have cord) and cordless (battery-operated). Based on their power source, the electric staple gun will let you fire out from 500 to a few thousand staples. Corded guns are powerful that require access to electricity but are limited in mobility. It is best for indoor use with a close power outlet. Cordless or battery-powered guns are portable and won’t require any power source to staple. It is best to work outdoors but retain that batteries won’t last long.
- Coming to its Downside – they are pricier and has to be careful that not to press too hard onto the material surface, as the staple go too deep. If not used appropriately, then it can be a potential occupation hazard. So, make sure to handle them properly.
- Pneumatic Staple Guns – Since these are extremely efficient, powerful, and durable, they are mostly used for professional building work yet also used to set up the paneling, lay flooring nailers, molding, and similar works where it needs long or more staples. Even though these guns are easy to use and lightweight but not portable (limited mobility), why because they are connected to an air compressor. As the name implies, it uses compressed air to drive tacks, staples, and nails into the surfaces. These are perfect for dealing with heavy-duty projects that need stapling. It let you adjust the compressor easily as per your stapling power. This type of gun can accommodate different types of fasteners. Compared to its manual and electric variants, this high-performance gun works best for most quick and precise work, need less maintenance, is expensive and is noisy due to the presence of an air compressor for the power supply.
Its drawback is to buy an air compressor for this gun to work. It is pricier and noisier as well. Also, one should know how to handle this pneumatic staple gun properly to ensure that it doesn’t become a safety hazard.
2. Staple Gauges and Sizes
A gauge is used to measure the staple thickness. A general rule is that the lower number has the thicker staple. For instance, an 18-gauge staple is thinner compared to a 16-gauge staple. Here a higher gauge results in a thinner staple, while a lower gauge results in thicker ones.
Multipurpose/Universal staple guns commonly use gauge sizes of 16, 18, and 20 gauge, while a few upholstery guns fire 22-gauge staples. In this range, the guns use the staples in length of up to 2 inches and width from 7/32 – 7/16 inches. While outside of this range, few industry-specific tools use smaller or larger staples.
Furthermore, a 16-gauge staple is useful for heavy-duty applications, whereas 20-gauge staples are used for smaller applications or finishing jobs.
However, for maximum manual staple guns, T50 is the common staple type with an Arrow Fastener’s trademark. This makes other manufacturers design their guns in such a way to operate with this staple type. Thus, it is considered the gold standard in staples.
3. Staple Size
Based on the type of material you are working/dealing with, the size of the staple varies and matters much. Generally, the size doesn’t matter for manual staple guns, why because they work with 1/2-inch staples, whereas one has to check with the electric and pneumatic guns before buying staples.
Modern staple guns can easily accommodate various types and sizes of staples and feature dials that let you customize or change the staple size as per your requirement. It is a must to consider-factor for professionals using a tool offering versatility. While it is not a crucial factor for an occasional DIYer.
4. Nail/Staple Depth Adjustments
Irrespective of a DIYer or professional, it is quite essential to know the ability to adjust the depth penetration of the staple gun before making its purchase. Setting a proper depth can break or make the project, particularly while dealing with upholstery. Whereas, inconsistent penetration may break the wood, damage the material and can do more.
Most guns offer several adjustments for precision, but it is not useful. For instance, what is the use of a rotating knob on the gun if it won’t work properly? Most cheaper models have problems with adjustments and precision. So, check these factors before buying a staple gun.
5. Supported Staple Length
One can find various kinds of staples out there that differ from each other in terms of their shape and size. As a result, while some staples are short in length, others are big. For this reason, your staple gun should support the staples that you want to use. This includes a staple length range of 1/2-inch to 1-inch (or) 1-inch to 2-inch. Moreover, a larger length range is considered the better option. Such staple guns are quite handy to use for all kinds of applications.
6. Power Type
Except for manual guns, almost all staple guns out there require a power source for their proper functioning, and inserting staples in different materials. Most staple guns are pneumatic, which means you have to use an air compressor to fasten the materials properly.
Such staple guns are quite powerful and make an ideal option for heavy-duty usage. Although, you can also find electric staple guns that run off either a power socket at your home or via inbuilt batteries for portable usage. This offers the extra benefit without any need for extra compressors to use the staple gun.
Also, the tool has variable power settings that make it capable to adjust the ultimate driving power based on the given material.
7. Anti-Jamming Mechanism
Jamming occurs most often with staple guns. By keeping this issue in mind, most manufacturers integrate an anti-jamming mechanism in their guns. This useful feature will alleviate the hassle and aids in smooth and quick performance. Retain that most guns possess this feature, yet they are not at all same quality. However, a quality anti-jamming mechanism is vital to check while buying a staple gun.
One best way to evaluate how good the mechanism is to read customer reviews, as people will complain about the inability of a gun to cope with regular jamming, a quite often occurred problem in these tools.
8. Staple Gun Size
You need to shoot staples or nails in all kinds of awkward places like narrow, small or hard to reach corners. Therefore, a bulky unit won’t be useful in this aspect, why because a bulky gun is a problem for people with smaller hands. They won’t come with large handles, which makes it difficult to handle the gun.
Alternatively, people having large hands may experience a hard time for accurate stapling while using a gun with a small grip trigger or handle. So, check what the handle grips are made of. Rubber is the best option to use at any time, as it prevents hands from slipping in any condition.
Staple guns are available in different sizes and shapes, which makes it easy to grab the most ergonomic option. If looking to purchase a regular use stapler, then choose one that fits comfortably in your hand.
Few guns have designs that naturally mold to the hand, whereas others feature rubber grips to ensure stability, even with sweaty palms. Some guns offer extended handles to have a comfortable grip with both hands.
However, discomfort is the main complaint about manual guns. Most users with weaker grips or smaller hands find the tool difficult to use. Then simply go with a pneumatic or electric staple gun, which need depressing the safety mechanism at the tip when trigger pulling with a single finger.
10. Ease of Use
A quick and effective work done by a staple gun is required for everyone, particularly for those who deal with projects that let you staple away for hours.
- A staple gun should be lighter (but not heavy) that won’t strain your arms and hands, even after using it for hours.
- Moreover, it let you adjust the power levels as needed, why because the force you use to shoot out staples into hardwood may be a bit little for basic upholstery projects and inversely.
- An ideal magazine should come with an adequate staple carrying capacity to make sure that you won’t need to keep reloading your gun. Plus, it let you quickly and efficiently reload the gun.
11. Swivel Tube
Swivel tube is an essential component to consider for air-powered guns (pneumatic model), as it averts tangling and other issues with the tubes and connector. Moreover, a swivel tube installed on the gun will let you handle the hard-to-reach areas much easier.
It is a crucial factor to consider while buying a stapler. If stapling into hard/tough surfaces, you have to use a heavy-duty staple gun, having sturdier builds. However, in most cases, the price of a gun acts as an indicator of its build quality and durability. So, prefer to invest in a costlier option that guarantees the longevity and reliability of the gun.
With the evolution of numerous staple gun manufacturers, the market is flooded with several staplers and every company claims that their products are the best. So, it is a must to do thorough research before picking a product. For this, read the reviews and ratings of a product, and check the brand image of the company.
Products from a reputable brand offer excellent warranty periods. Also, check the customer support system of that brand, whether it is easily accessible to solve your queries or not before buying the product.
Based on the type of staple guns and their build quality, the price of staple guns varies a lot. Choose the best one that comes within your budget range, and meet your requirements.
- Manual Staple Guns: These are the most affordable guns in the market, and their price range will be from $10 – $100 (or more).
- Electric Staple Guns: They can be available at less than $30. Yet high-end premium models are more expensive. The price of the guns will be from $100 – $300.
- Pneumatic Staple Guns: The most expensive type of staple gun. However, the cheapest one comes at $27, and its price range will be from $100 – $500. Ensure that you already own a compressor or else included in your budget before buying this gun.
Usually, manual staple guns won’t require any warranty, as they can easily survive for anything. Yet while considering the pneumatic and electric staple guns, there is a higher degree of risk involved due to their moving components. Also, these two types are costlier compared to manual guns. So, ensure that gun come with a warranty to make it used with ease.
Some options offer a 1-year warranty, while others might offer a 5-year long or a 7-year long warranty. Pick the option that offers more warranty and reliability to the user.
Safety Tips to Use a Staple Gun
Just like any tool or equipment, there should be a proper way to safely operate a staple gun. Here are some of the safety tips that let you know how to use the staple gun effectively or appropriately.
- Carefully read the user manual before you start using the staple gun.
- Don’t leave the stapler unattended, particularly when having kids or pets.
- Pick a staple gun that has a safety lock. Ensure to engage the safety lock while not using the gun.
- Never point the staple gun, especially the part which drives staples on any part of the body.
- Ensure your finger won’t touch the trigger while carrying the gun or not using it. Thus, it let you use or carry it around safely.
- It is a must to wear recommended safety equipment to reduce the risks of injury involved in its working and to have a safe operation. Retain that people wearing safety gear may experience various accidents with guns, but protective equipment will less likely cause serious injury.
- Always ensure that you use the right type of staple for the project you are dealing with. Some surfaces won’t be pierced by conventional staples/nails. A staple may bounce off a particular surface and hit you. If dealing with a high-powered pneumatic or electric gun, where staples travel quick.
- Ensure you aim the stapler in the right direction before you press the trigger. If it misses the spot that can turn the staple/nail into a dangerous projectile. This may end up in someone’s body.
- Avoid modifying the staple gun. There is a lot of engineers, mechanics, and repairmen who can make gun perform better by bypassing or modifying safety features. However, the safety features are meant for a specific reason. So, avoid temper or disable with them.
- Pick a model with some extra features like handle lock storage, staple viewing window, or a belt hook.
- If your gun experience jamming, then separate the gun from the power source. Though it takes a few seconds, yet save your life. Don’t squeeze the trigger when the gun is not squeezed against the surface.
How to Load a Staple Gun?
One should load a staple gun based on what type of device you are using. Here is the simple procedure that let you know how to load a gun for each type.
1. Bottom Loading Electric Staplers
- After locating the magazine release button, you have to press and slide the magazine out.
- Hold the device upside down, insert the staples strip and slide it back in. A click sound notifies you that the magazine is positioned in the correct place.
- Finally, turn on the gun and give a trial on a piece of wood.
2. Top-Loading Pneumatic Staplers
- Press the on/off button to disconnect the device and loosen the nut (placed on the stapler’s back) to disconnect the hose release.
- Push a lever and pull it away from the gun to disconnect the magazine follower.
- Lay staple strip into stapler’s rail.
- Push and release the lever to unlock the follower. Give a small push to the unit if it won’t push the staples automatically into the gun.
- Plug-in the compressor, connect the hose, turn on the compressor and give a trial test on a piece of wood.
3. Front-Loading Staplers
- After removing the tape covering, press the small button on the device’s back to release the magazine.
- If it is an old and sticky model or roughened up, then gently perform the previous step.
- Place staples row on the track and push the magazine back into the gun. Finally, test it on a piece of cardboard.
How to Use a Staple Gun?
It would be a bit intimidating for a novice, yet no need to worry. The whole process is simple and straightforward. Here is the step-by-step procedure on how to use this gun.
- Check the width and depth of the staple along with the item to be stapled. While stapling two items together, you have to ensure that staples are deep enough to go through both pieces.
- Before starting the process, wear safety goggles and other protection equipment along with checking that no one is standing near you.
- Put the gun against the desired surface with its flat base on the surface. Moreover, ensure that gun’s sides are perpendicular to this surface. Align the front tip of the gun to the place where you want to staple.
- Squeeze the trigger gently and remember that pressing it too hard and quick can make the device move out of place.
- After stapling, check whether it is not properly or not.
How to Fix a Staple Gun?
Clogged hammer, dispensing multiple staples, or worn-out spring are some of the most common issues faced while using this device. Here is the best solution for each of these problems. Take a look at them.
- Clogged Hammer – Open the head of the gun by applying some pressure. Then find the staple clogging the hammer. Use a screwdriver to dislodge it and re-assemble the unit. If facing problems with grease or dirt, then use WD-40 to clean the substance clogging the gun.
- Multiple Staples –It can be solved by adjusting the staples inside the unit (or) re-adjust the device’s firing mechanism. In case, if the model is defective, then consult your manufacturer by checking the warranty to either fix or replace it.
- Worn Out Spring – If the gun’s spring is worn out means it won’t maintain enough tension. For this, open the device and slide the spring back. Then simply let it go to its normal position. In case, if it won’t come into staple’s contact and moves slowly means, it has to be replaced immediately.
How to Unjam a Jammed Staple Gun?
Based on the type of gun you are using, you have to follow different methods to unjam the jammed staple gun. Take a quick look at these methods for both variants (manual or electric/pneumatic), yet also check with your user manual before proceeding further.
1. Manual Staple Gun
- Slide-out the gun’s pusher rod and detach the screw placed at the bottom of the magazine.
- Remove the magazine and clear the jam. Continue doing this to clear stuck staples by using needle-nose pliers.
- Properly re-assemble the unit and give a test to check whether it is working properly or not.
2. Pneumatic/Electric Staple Gun
- Release the trigger and remove batteries or unplug the gun. Then take out the staple clip with the release lever.
- Use a pair of pliers to remove the stuck staple from the opening of the gun. Remember a tap on the device’s base will do the trick.
- Finally, reassemble the unit and test whether it gets unjammed and working properly or not.
Staple Gun – FAQs
Ans: Mostly, staple guns are used to staple on softer materials, in which anything other than that may result in bent staples. So, a staple gun is not a correct option to use on the drywall, instead, use other drywall tools.
Ans: Yes, you can use it. Yet ensure to use long enough staples to make it through the pile, and the gun should contain the power to fire them into the wood. If not, the loose staples will get their way into bare feet.
Ans: Usually, a staple strip comes with either half 105 staple strips (or) a full 210 staple strips.
Ans: We mostly use a staple gun to fasten/secure one end of the material to another to perform several projects. However, the materials can be carpets, wood, ceiling tiles, fabrics or foams.
Ans: Based on the fabric, you can use any medium wire or fine wire staples. The common staple size ranges are 20- and 22-gauge staples that suit this upholstery application.
Ans: However, loading a pneumatic staple gun is straightforward. Here are the steps to load it.
* Turn off the compressor and remove the stapler.
* Then push the front lever to disconnect the follower.
* Keep a strip of staples on the magazine rail by facing it downwards.
* Release the front bar to let the follower fall into place.
* Finally, give a test in a scrap of wood.
Ans: It completely depends on the material (both fastened and base materials) where you want to use the gun. For instance, hard base material (like plywood, MDF or oak) and thin fastened material (wraps, fabric) should need to use a staple of smaller size 1/4 – 5/16 inches (or 6 – 8 mm).
While soft base material (like pine, Douglas fir, foam) and thick fastened material (batting, carpet, pads) will have to use larger size staples of 1/2 – 9/16 inches (or 12 – 14mm). Or simply follow your user manual for detailed information.
Ans: No, they are not universal sizes. They are available in different sizes (widths and lengths) and different types as well, which includes flat clinch, standard office staples, heavy-duty, chisel point, undulated and others. All you need is to check the user manual of the product to know which you have to use for your gun.
Ans: Just like other power tools, you have to store this tool as well. Clean the tool and store it in a dry and dust-free place and also keep it reaching out to the kids and pets. Remember that well-organized and close at hand tools will increase efficiency. So, store it along with other tools and keep it handy.
Ans: Yes, it can, but it depends on the type of metal and its thickness. Stapling steel panels, roofing, and fences can be done with this staple gun. Moreover, stapling metal needs to use a high-powered staple gun with heavy-duty staples to make sure they fit correctly.
Ans: No, it won’t go through concrete. Even if you use the most powerful tool as well. The staple guns are used only for cabinet framing, furniture construction, sheathing and other similar works. However, to fasten something to concrete, you need to have a high-powered nail gun that is specially made for this purpose.
A staple gun is a compact power tool that will let you staple almost any wooden surface or upholstery with ease. There are a lot of variants available in case of staple guns that differ from each other due to things like shape, size, power, etc. just like the best staple guns mentioned in this article. While we have mentioned their details, you might have trouble selecting one from all these. In that case, you can choose one of our recommendations:
- If you are looking for a budget option, you should consider the Stanley Staple Gun. It supports the use of ⅜ inch to 1-inch staples. The operating pressure of this pneumatic staple gun can be varied from 60 to 100 psi, making it a perfect option for home use.
- But, if you want a reliable staple gun, then Bostitch Stapler Gun is the best option for you. Unlike other options, BOSTITCH Flooring Stapler comes with a 7 year warranty period. It can use ½ inch to ⅝ inch 18 gauge staples on hardwood surfaces. The maximum working pressure for this staple gun is 100 psi.
- Lastly, we will recommend the Metabo HPT Stapler Gun as a value for money option. Being affordable, Metabo HPT Pneumatic Finish Stapler can use ½ inch to 1 ½ inch long staples having 18 gauge. You also get 5 years of the warranty period on this staple gun that is quite good.
Make sure to share your thoughts in the comments section. You can also post any questions down there if you have any!