“Sawhorses – a must-have tool in every workshop or garage”
Sawhorses are a versatile workspace essential used as a scaffold or drying rack to do your DIY, woodworking or construction projects.
It is like a crossbeam supported by A-frame legs, and it should be used in pairs to keep the wood plank stable for cutting and other purposes. It has to be extremely flexible and portable to move around and customize according to your need.
We recommend you seek out these key factors before investing in the sawhorse to grab the best one.
- Load Capacity: It indicates the maximum weight a sawhorse can handle without any issues. Choose the load capacity of the sawhorse based on the project you are working with. The general weight range will be 250 – 1000 pounds. For household DIY works like painting or woodworking, you need a sawhorse with a load capacity of 500 pounds, while for professional tasks, go with a sawhorse with 1000+ pounds.
- Size Support: Different wooden planks have different size ratings, in which choosing the right sawhorse is a bit difficult from a wide range of options to cut with proper stability. Most options are designed to cut 2X4 wooden planks, while others work best with a 4X4 wooden plank. Purchase a sawhorse as per the wood plank size you are dealing with.
- Material: Metal, wood, and plastic are three common materials used for making sawhorses. Metal is considered the best option for DIYers and professionals who use them frequently or works on heavy-duty projects. It can handle high weights of 1100 pounds per horse. Plastic is the perfect option for occasional lightweight projects like painting or cutting plywood. Suits best for home DIY projects or lightweight materials and can handle a weight of 500 pounds per horse. Wood is a traditional sawhorse material that is durable and hold high weight capacity but won’t have adjustable legs for easy storage.
To make your choice easier, we have compiled a list of some best-selling sawhorses followed by a detailed “Buying Guide”. Read on to know how to choose your perfect sawhorses as per your woodworking requirement.
|Metabo Hpt Sawhorses
|Check On Amazon
|Bora Portamate Sawhorse
|Check On Amazon
|Check On Amazon
|WEN WA1300-2 Saw Horse
|Check On Amazon
|WORX Clamping Sawhorses
|Check On Amazon
|Check On Amazon
6 Best Sawhorses Reviews
Metabo HPT or Metabo Hitachi Power Tools is one of the best options out there if you are looking for value for money heavy-duty tools that offer a lot of things for the given price tag.
The Metabo HPT 115445M sawhorse is present in the 1st position in this article as it is the cheapest option present in this article. Even though it is quite affordable and ideal for users on a budget, you get a lot of things with it that results in a high value for money. Starting with its weight limit capacity, you can use it for working on up to 1200 pound wooden planks for cutting them using a saw quite easily.
One of the best things about Metabo HPT is that it is a highly reputable brand of power tools that is known for making highly durable and reliable products. Due to this, you get a 5-year long warranty along with a decent build quality in this sawhorse. Its sawbucks on the side allow you to easily hold 2×4 flat planks on the side for additional workspace while working with this sawhorse.
- 1200 pound weight capacity
- 5-year long warranty
- Offers a great build quality to the user
- Affordable price tag for users on a budget
- Offers high value for money with a high weight rating
- Highly durable and reliable option with a long warranty
- Sawhorse size is a bit on the larger side
When compared with other options out there, Bora Portamate is a lesser-known brand of sawhorses. Although most of its models are made for heavy-duty usage because of the features and numbers offered by it.
Bora Portamate’s PM-4500T sawhorse is present in the 2nd position in this article as it is the best option for heavy-duty usage in this article. While it is a bit on the expensive side, it can be a great pick if you are a professional carpenter and want to cut heavy and large planks. This is possible due to the reason that it offers a weight capacity rating of up to 1500 pounds that should be more than enough for you.
Even though Bora Portamate is a lesser-known brand of sawhorses, you still get a decent 1-year long warranty. And as you would expect from any other option at the given price range, this one also offers a great build quality. Its metal top is highly sturdy and strong for easily working with 2×4 wooden planks. Another handy feature of this sawhorse is that you get a foldable leg design for ease of use.
- 1500 pound weight capacity
- 1-year long warranty
- Uses a metal top construction for extra durability and reliability
- Best option for heavy-duty usage for cutting wooden planks
- Offers a great build quality with a metal top
- Foldable leg design for easy storage after use
- Pricing is a bit on the higher side for most consumers
Forup is a brand of sawhorse that is mainly made for consumer usage in your garage or a basic workshop due to which it offers simple and affordable options to its consumers.
This Forup portable folding sawhorse is present in the 3rd position in this article as it is a great option if you are looking for a simple and practical sawhorse. Just per its name, it is a portable sawhorse that makes it ideal for those who want to cut wooden planks on a remote job site. Even though it has a portable design, you get a weight supporting capacity of up to 275 pounds that is the same as most other portable options out there.
Even though Forup is such a small brand of sawhorses, you get a decent build quality with it. This model offers a lightweight and simple folding design that simply works. Its anti-slip EVA work surface offers proper grip so that the plans that you want to work on don’t move at all. Unfortunately, since this is a smaller brand of sawhorses, you do not get any warranty with it that can be an issue in the long run.
- 275-pound weight capacity
- Offers an anti-slip EVA work surface with high grip
- Lightweight foldable design for portable usage at remote sites
- Comes at a justified price tag for a great value for money
- Great option for portable usage due to design
- Decent build quality for peace of mind
- Does not offer any manufacturer warranty to the user
WEN WA1300-2 – the ultimate companion for woodworking and construction projects. This sturdy tool can handle a whopping 1300 pounds on each sawhorse, or a total of 2600 pounds. It’s built tough to effortlessly meet the demands of your work. Crafted from durable steel, it strikes the perfect balance between strength and portability.
The WA1300-2 is designed to be super adaptable, with a height that you can easily adjust from 24 to 32 inches. This flexibility ensures optimal functionality for a wide array of tasks. It’s easy to take this tool to different job sites because it’s light and comes with a handy carrying handle.
Stability is paramount, thanks to pivoting feet that adeptly conform to uneven surfaces. The coated surface not only makes it tougher but also stops your work from sliding around when you’re using it. This smart design of the sawhorse has slots that fit regular 2x4s, making it super easy to create a strong table for your job site. Additionally, material support pegs are strategically placed to secure additional lumber. And to top it off, the WEN WA1300-2 comes with a two-year warranty.
- Supports up to 1300 pounds per sawhorse or a combined 2600 pounds.
- Easily adjust the height from 24 to 32 inches
- Made of durable steel yet remains lightweight
- Two-Year Warranty
- Robust and durable construction.
- Easy to transport and set up at different job sites.
- Versatile design accommodates various tasks and workpieces.
- Height adjustability enhances usability.
- Stable and secure, thanks to pivoting feet and slip-resistant surface.
- May be relatively expensive compared to basic sawhorses.
WORX is a well-known brand for providing a wide range of power tool, lawn and garden equipment at reasonable prices and high quality.
Their clamping sawhorse comes with 2 removable bar clamps that can weigh down 300lbs of clamping force. This makes them suitable for a long range of projects. Compared to regular sawhorses, they can hold the project either in vertical or horizontal.
They are light in weight with just 4lbs each. So, you can easily transport them from place to another without any additional help. It has rugged and molded ABS and steel construction which makes them long lasting and durable.
- Integrated car clamps
- Up to 300lbs pressure
- Supports 1000 lbs
- Light in weight
- Rugged construction
- Easy to use
- 3-years warranty
- Clamps are a bit weak
Tomax is yet another brand of sawhorses that makes portable sawhorse and is quite similar to Forup mentioned earlier because of the multiple similar features and options offered by this sawhorse.
This Tomax portable sawhorse comes at a very justified price tag for all the features and options that it offers to the user. You get a decent 275 pounds of weight capacity with this sawhorse that makes it ideal for simpler consumer-grade usage and not heavy duty applications. While it is not the highest rating, it is pretty good when you consider that this is a portable sawhorse due to its foldable design for ease of use.
Since you get a foldable design in this sawhorse, storing this sawhorse after usage is quite easy. Another great thing about this sawhorse is that you get a lightweight construction in it so that taking it from place to another is easy for portable usage. Even though it is lightweight, the build quality is quite good, and it should easily last for a long time. Unfortunately, you only get a 90-day long warranty with this sawhorse that is quite less than most other options out there.
- 275-pound weight capacity
- 90-day long warranty
- Offers a foldable design for ease of use and simpler storage
- Great pick as a portable option for remote job sites
- Offers decent weight capacity for a portable option
- Justified price tag with given features and options
- Comes with just a 90-day long warranty
How to Choose the Best Sawhorses
Sawhorses are needed for a precise cutting of wooden planks apart from a sharp and powerful saw. The sawhorses are highly handy to keep the wooden plank stable while cutting. So, to help you in selecting your best option, we are here with a buying guide with all essential information related to sawhorses. Here are some of the must to consider factors while shopping for sawhorses.
Steel, plastic (or polypropylene), and wood are three common types of materials used in making sawhorses. Let’s get into its details.
a. Metal –
Metal sawhorses are sturdy, durable and work well for heavy-duty projects and tougher work environments. It is the best option for DIYers and professionals who use them widely. Most sawhorses come with adjustable legs and fold for easy storage.
Steel horses are stronger and handle heavier weights that rate 1100 pounds per horse. While aluminum horses are at the low-end of the weight spectrum as 500 pounds per horse. Usually, the beam and the legs of metal sawhorses are made of steel. However, few manufacturers use aluminum for making the sawhorse legs to make them more portable and lightweight. The sawhorse’s surface should be zinc-coated power to deter rust and corrosion.
These are bulkier or heavier that make them a bit harder to transport compared to plastic horses. We use them for major projects like construction, where durability is ultimate. Some metal sawhorses will include shelves, vises, clamps, or drop-down sides for the additional workplace.
On the downside, the saw might be damaged if accidentally strike a metal sawhorse with it. Also, rust is another common problem that happens if left the sawhorses outdoors.
b. Plastic –
Plastic sawhorses are the perfect option for those using them for occasional lightweight projects, like painting, cutting plywood or supporting a temporary worktable. The average weight limit of plastic sawhorses will be 500 pounds per horse.
However, they are a lighter and cheaper option, but not as strong and durable as metal horses. They are the best choice for household DIY projects and working with lightweight materials. Most models get folded easily for effective storage and various models come with small shelves or clamps to hold the supplies in place and at hand while working.
c. Wood –
This is a traditional sawhorse material that is heavier yet losing its popularity due to its inflexibility to use them. However, it is rare to find a wooden sawhorse with adjustable legs or easily fold legs for its proper storage. The wood is strong, durable, and can hold high-weight capacity. Also, it won’t cause any damage to the saw if you strike the sawhorse accidentally with it.
2. Load Capacity
The load capacity indicates the amount of weight a sawhorse can bear or support. Generally, the weight capacity range of sawhorses will be 250 – 1000 (or more) pounds.
An average DIYer who is looking for painting and woodworking won’t need a sawhorse with maximum load capacity, but for those who want to cut large logs or heavy wooden pieces. So, it is essential to know the load capacity rating of sawhorses before using them.
It would be a little bit confusing to note down the load capacity of particular sawhorses, why because some manufacturers label the capacity for each sawhorse, while others label the combined or total load rating. For instance, if you found a label mentioning the load capacity is 500 pounds per sawhorse, then consider the rating as 1000 pounds for the pair.
3. Size Support
With the availability of a wide range of sawhorse options out there in the market, it would be a bit confusing to choose one for cutting wood in your wood shop or garage. The difference in their size and dimensions will make them support different sizes of wood planks to cut on a sawhorse with proper stability.
Some models are designed to cut 2X4 wooden planks, while others work well with 4X4 wooden planks. So, one should purchase a sawhorse as per the wood plank size they are working on while cutting the planks.
Sawhorses are available in various height ranges and if you pick the wrong one, then it leaves you in back pain due to incorrect posture when working. you can determine the right height of the sawhorse based on your height and the standing height of the sawhorse.
Most sawhorses in the market come with a predetermined height, ranging from 25 – 40 inches. The sawhorses with preset heights are preferred for most users. If you want to customize the height of the sawhorses to do your work comfortably, then make sure to choose a sawhorse with a height adjustment mechanism.
For determining the right height of the sawhorse, most experts advise you to place your finger in the middle of your lower back and seek someone’s help to measure the height from the finger to the floor. Thus, it gives a detailed idea of the required height of your sawhorse to purchase.
5. Leg Angle
For sawhorse legs, the general consent is a total angle of 20°, in which each side splays 10-degrees from the plumb line. However, it won’t sound much, but while considering the length of the legs, it may end up with a proper spacing at floor level.
These days, sawhorses can be used in various ways and one such versatile feature is they can transform from a simple sawhorse to a workbench. Thus, it increases the utility of the sawhorse and thereby let you find more uses for it.
Usually, some sawhorse models can be adjusted to any height or length as per your need. This makes it great for specialty uses where you are unable to find the right sawhorse for your requirement. So, a versatile sawhorse will open up all these possibilities will be your only valuable option.
7. Saw Horse Storage
The ability to fold for easy storage is the main advantage to using modern sawhorses over traditional wood horses. However, the legs of some sawhorses will collapse under the top to become a compact unit, which is easy to store. While others close vertically and have to be stored against the wall to prevent any potential damages.
If you work only in the workshop, then portability won’t an important issue. But if you are going to work outside the shop frequently, then portability is an essential factor to consider, where you need to move/travel to other places to work.
However, weight and size are two main components that are must to consider for portability.
Weight – Usually, a heavy sawhorse is harder to carry compared to a lighter model. The weight and the load capacity of the sawhorse are not interrelated. So, prefer to choose a lightweight yet stronger sawhorse rather than a heavy horse that won’t.
Size – Most sawhorse models have legs to fold into the body that make it easy and small for a carriable package. While some models do not get folded at all, where you have to carry as full-size horses, which becomes a major issue when transporting the sawhorses. So, always choose sawhorses that can be easily folded into a small package.
Make sure to check the sawhorse which you purchase should be 100% stable and sturdy. Or else the shaky and wobbly sawhorses can fail and ruin your work at any time. So, its better to avoid buying them, as they are dangerous while using any sharp objects.
Extra features in any product will help you to use them with ease. Here are some of the add-on features in the sawhorses.
- Vises or clamps to firmly hold wood pieces in their position till the applied glue is dried or while cut through them.
- Supporting arms to accommodate a 2X4 piece (or) adjustable arms that expand to accommodate a 4X4 piece.
- Small shelf to keep paint or tools handy while working.
- Cord hooks to protect your power tool cords not to get underfoot.
- Some sawhorses even come with steps built into the frame, which let you use them as stepladder.
- Some have in-built small tabletops to combine sawhorse and workbench in a single handy tool.
Mostly, sawhorses are not expensive except for high-end professional models. However, the price range of sawhorses used by DIYers or casual hobbyists will be around USD 20 – 30, which can easily handle a load of 800 lbs. While the price range of professionals preferred high-end models will be above USD 100, which can easily handle a lot of pressure and assist in giving the workplace a proper shape.
12. Durability and Warranty
While using heavy and large wooden planks with sharp saws on a sawhorse, these face a lot of wear and tear over time. Thus, you should pick a durable and reliable sawhorse to use for a longer time without any issues. So, checking the warranty offered by the manufacturer on their product is an easy way to know its durability and reliability. While most options offer a minimum 1-year warranty, others come with a 5-year long warranty or even a lifetime warranty.
Benefits of Using a Sawhorse
Sawhorses can be used in various ways, and here we have mentioned some of their benefits. Take a look at them before buying a sawhorse.
- Cut Wood – The main purpose of using a sawhorse is that they act as a stand to cut wood precisely in a safe, quick and easy way.
- As a Workbench – Sawhorses are not only limited to cutting purposes. One can easily shift sawhorses into a portable workbench with a pair of sawhorses and a thick or heavy hardwood piece. Make sure to secure the wood with a clamp while using it on the top of the sawhorses.
- Support for Scaffolds – It is used as a scaffold to provide extra support for you to reach the ceilings or high walls. Ensure to use a pair of sawhorses and wood plank on the top should be strong to support your body weight while using this sawhorse as a scaffold.
- Drying – Looking to dry a paint or stain project, then simply place sawhorses to a warm, ventilated spot and keep a wooden board across them and keep the project on the arranged sawhorses. Also, a great place to stain or paint long wood pieces and leave them to dry properly.
- Serve as a Cutting Grid – It is used as a cutting grid to cut small items. One can make a cutting grid easily – layer and interlock pieces of wood together across the sawhorses. Finally, use it for making precise cuts on the wood while placing it on the top.
Best Sawhorses – FAQs
Ans: Most foldable sawhorse manufacturers include a safety feature called leg lock, which secures the leg of the sawhorse when open. So, the foldable sawhorses are completely safe as long as the locks are effectively used.
Ans: Generally, you need at least two sawhorses for completely most projects. Most sellers and manufacturers do sell their sawhorses in pairs. It won’t mean that we cannot work with just a single sawhorse. One sawhorse is still used for cutting wooden panels with ease with a bit of patience and experience.
A sawhorse is one of the simplest tools that is highly important and handy while working with a saw for cutting wooden planks. These offer much higher stability and ease of use than placing your planks anywhere else. In fact, you can even find some of the best sawhorses up above in this article. Even though you should have selected the perfect sawhorse for you by now, here are some of our recommendations:
- You can go with the Metabo HPT sawhorse if you are on a budget as it offers a high value for money. Even though it is the cheapest option here, it offers a 5-year long warranty along with its 1200 pound capacity rating that is quite decent.
- Although, if you want the highest weight capacity, then you should consider the Bora Portamate Sawhorse. It offers the highest capacity of 1500 pounds that should be more than enough for most users. You also get a decent 1-year long warranty with it.
- The WEN Saw Horse is the most durable and reliable option present in this article as it offers an excellent build quality for its 1300 pound weight capacity. Not only that, but it is the only option in this article that comes with a 2-year long warranty for peace of mind.
Make sure to share your thoughts in the comments section. You can also post any questions down there if you have any!