The power supply is an electrical device that transforms power to the peripheral devices or circuit boards. Its main function is to convert electrical energy in terms of voltages, currents, and frequencies.
The power supply comes with everything from on/off switch, voltage and current tuners to LED display. That is why I’ve decided to make a list of Top 7 Best DC Power Supply 2020 that benefits the electronic aspirants, engineers, and the lab technicians.
Making a list of the best power supply is a tough job as you mainly consider the price tag and quality factor to deal with. Ideally speaking, the product features should be your top priority.
Here I’ve provided a “buying guide” for DC power supply. Read on to know more!
First and the foremost in our list is Tekpower DC power supply. It is listed in the top position because of its huge-bulky design that makes the device more portable than others.
For its reliable and versatile nature, it can also be used as a testing tool in labs, industries, research institutes and R&D centers. Let’s discuss in brief.
This brilliant power supply can operate in 2 different modes i.e. voltage and current. When compared to others it has high precision regulated power supply that comes with rotating switches to regulate voltage (30V) and current (5A). It also features automatic cooling fan with the built-in thermal sensor.
When you buy this product, all the components are neatly packed in a cardboard box and a data sheet is offered to you that contain the following specifications:
- DC output voltage range is 30VT
- DC output current is 5A
- Input AC voltage is 110V/60Hz
- Voltage and current adjustment
- High current limiting cooling fan
- Operating temperature is 0-40°C
- Relative humidity is less than 80%
- Accuracy of LCD is ±2.5%
- For ripple and noise; CV < 1 mV, CC < 3 mA
- For voltage regulation; CV < 0.01% + 3mV, CC < 0.2% + 6 mA
- For load regulation; CV < 0.01% + 3mV, CC < 0.02% + 3mA
Have you ever want to know what is in the box? Here it is…
- Power supply (TP3005T)
- Power cord
- Test leads with clips (28-inches) and
- A user manual
Overall, the performance of Tekpower Power Supply is fantastic. I prefer this kit as it’s my all time favorite and the best power supply kit with wonderful features available in the market. Though the price is bit expensive, you can buy the kit for extended use.
- Highly reliable.
- Vary the voltages and currents.
- Offers high standard customer services.
- Provided 1-year of manufacturer warranty.
- Very expensive.
- Cannot function effectively if you supply voltage more than 30V.
2nd one in the list is from the Eventek brand. This branded company has major sales in electronics, peripheral devices, and other household products. It has always been committed to providing better services to the customers.
This is a light-weighted kit with all the features that a power supply must have. It is specially designed for schools, engineering colleges, laboratories, electronic product testing, and development.
Ideally, it can be a good choice for the industry featuring high accuracy, reliability and short-circuit protection circuit.
The front panel of the power source contains LED display, voltage, and current tuners, amplitude switch, 3-ports for positive-negative-ground connections and the main power switch. Internally the power supply has a temperature controller to reduce the noise and prolong its life effectively.
The specifications of an adjustable power source are as follows:
- DC output voltage is 0-30V
- DC output current is 0-10A
- Overall efficiency is 89%
- High current limiting and cooling fan
- Voltage is 0.1V & current is 0.1A
- Temperature control fan ( if higher than 50°C)
- Dimensions are 8.8*3.2*6.5-inches
- Weighs about 3.2pounds
- Voltage regulation; CV 0.01% + 3mV, CC < 0.2% + 6 mA
- Load stabilization; CV 0.1% +1mV / CC 0.1% +3mA
- Ripple and noises; CV < 1 mV rms, CC < 3 mA, rms
This wonderful power supply kit contains the following contents:
- Eventek Power supply (KPS3010D)
- Output power cord (2)
- Input power cord
- Connecting probes and
- A user-guide
- Multiple protections.
- Able to change voltage and current readings.
- 30 days money back offer and 12 months of limited guarantee.
- Bit expensive.
- Not much comfortable to use.
The Lavolta brand offers the best DC power supply 2020 according to the ratings and reviews and took 3rd place in our list. This will surely be a great choice for test benches, schools, engineering colleges, workshop repairs, laboratories and in the research field.
When compared to others, it has an outer metal case with a compact design and a handle at the top to carry easily.
This is actually a high precision DC power source with US power cords. A tuner switch is provided to adjust the voltage and current readings with the maximum of 30V/5A. It also has a cooling fan and short circuit protection to trigger automatically.
The switch at the back helps to select the input voltage between 110-220V. Technical specifications of a power supply are listed below:
- Temperature ranges from 0 to 40°C
- Relative humidity < 80%
- Load stability is < 0.01% + 3mV
- Recovery time < 100 ms
- Power stability < 0.2% + 3mA
- Load stability < 0.2% + 3mA
- Ripple & noise < 3mA rms
- Temperature coefficient < 300 PPM/°C
- Stability of the power is < 0.01% + 3mV
- Ripple & noise factor < 0.5 mV rms (5Hz-1MHz)
- Input power supply is 220V/110V ± 10% 50Hz/60Hz
When you purchase this wonderful kit, it includes the following contents:
- DC power source with US power cord
- Test leads (2) and
- Instruction manual
- Reasonably priced.
- Well built quality design.
- You can alter voltage and current readings.
- 12 months warranty by the product manufacturer.
- Cannot tolerate extreme conditions.
Number 4 on our list is from Yescom power supply. It is a good product for engineers and the lab technicians.
Though you constantly work on voltage and current operating modes, cannot functions both the parameters at a time. This is the major drawback in all the power supply devices.
In this, the circuit is designed safely with high-quality components. The outer layer is made of a steel case to protect the internal circuitry from environmental parameters. You can use the power supply containing full load for 24 hours without any interruption. A temperature controller adjusts the speed according to the load and reduces the distortion accordingly.
As there is no use of batteries, you can directly connect the power supply device to an external source. A user-friendly manual is provided along with the power source to guide the user about working operations of a power supply.
The parameters you must consider when you deal with a power source are:
- 110V of AC power supply
- Input voltage is 110V±10% 60Hz
- Output voltage is DC 0-30V
- Output current is DC 0-10A
- Dimensions are 10.2*4.9*6.1 inches
- Display resolution is voltage-0.1V, current-0.1A.
- Display precision is ±1% ±1digit
- Voltage stabilization is 0.05% +1mV
- Current stabilization is 0.1% +10mA
- Load stabilization is CV 0.1% +1mV / CC 0.1% +10mA
- Ripples and noise CV 10mV/ CC 20mA
- Working conditions are 14°F to 104°F relative humidity < 80%
- Storage conditions is -4°F to 176°F relative humidity < 80%
The kit contains the following components:
- DC power supply
- Power cord
- Test leads and
- A user-friendly manual
- Multiple protections.
- Adjustable voltage and current readings.
- Use the power supply 24 hours.
- Although the individual performance of the components is good; a slight change in the overall performance of the power supply.
Number 5 is going to be obvious from the Korad digital power supply. Korad brand is famous for supplying electronic & mechanical tools and sell them globally.
The cost of this power supply is too high when compared to others mentioned in the list. It is highly reliable and performance is fantastic. For this reason, it is listed number 5 in our best digital power supply kits.
The key features of Korad digital power supply are a digital controller, temperature controlled fan, knob lock function and low noise ripple.
This power supply comes with a compact design using 4-digit LED displays and digital controllers. There is an option for you to switch the input power supply between 110-220V and current in milliAmpere to Amperes.
Here are few parameters you should consider before you pay money for Korad DC power supply:
- 110/220V of input voltage
- Voltage and current range is 0-30V/0-5A
- Temperature coefficient is 150 PPM
- Ripple voltage is 2MV and for current is 3MA
- Product weights about 4.8kgs
- Comfortable to use.
- Operates in 2 different switching modes.
- Too expensive.
- Fixed length parameters.
Last but one in the list is from LE power adapter. The manufacturer of LE (Lighting Ever) power adapter provides environmental-friendly products at its best possible prices.
When we made a research, 72 out of 100 people have given 5-star rating for its quality, portability and multiple applications. Though it is very economical to buy; delivers high performance when you connect to an external source. For this reason, it is listed number 6 of all the available power supply devices.
This amazing power supply source is suitable for TVs, radios, computers and LED lights. It just comes with a power adapter and USB cable. With this power adapter, you can supply input power of 100-240V and produces 12V DC at the output.
The following factors are to be considered when you make use of a power supply:
- Input voltage is100-240V AC
- Output voltage is 12V D
- Max current is3A
- Max wattage is36W
- US plug and
- DC port diameter is5*2.1*10mm
- Flexible nature.
- Very convenient to use.
- Major application in LED lights.
- 1-year of warranty by the product manufacturer.
- Not waterproof.
- An instruction manual is not included.
- Voltage and current readings are fixed.
The last one in the list is from BMOUO manufacturer. This famous brand is committed to providing each customer with high customer services.
This amazing product makes easy to interface with the TVs, radios, computers and LED strip lights. When you use this power supply for lighting the LED strips, be sure to set the minimum voltage that an LED can withstand. Else there will be huge damage.
It features the protection when there are overload voltages and currents. The outer shell is made of aluminum so as to keep away from shock absorbers.
The specifications of BMOUO regulated switching power supply are as follows:
- AC input voltage is 115V/230V
- Output voltage is 12V DC
- Output current is 0-29.2A
- Weighs 660 grams
- Size is 215*114*50mm and
- Shell material made of Aluminum
- Easy to set up.
- Multiple protections.
- Generates steady and precise outputs.
- The instruction manual is not provided.
- Fixed voltage and current settings.
How to Choose a DC Power Supply?
Of all the essential power supply devices, you can’t blindly choose one as the best. You need to make a case study or do research before you purchase electronic power supply devices available in the e-market.
The major considerations of a DC power supply are as follows:
- Stability and
- Ripple & Noise
We’ll discuss in detail!
Accuracy is the important factor to choose a power supply that provides high generic results at the output. It also determines the performance of a power supply by closely relating to the theoretical value.
If the output obtained is uncertain due to minor errors in DAC, test the accuracy by measuring the variable power system connected to the output of power supply that gives as ± (offset setting value).
Resolution is the 2nd important consideration that you should look into when you purchase an electronic power supply. It is the small change in voltage or current that is turned on power supply device.
It is limited to the number of discrete levels and DAC with more number of bits produces a fine resolution. But, with the correction of gain and offset errors, the resolution is slightly less than the number of bits in DAC.
In other words, resolution can be expressed as an absolute unit value or full-scale percentage.
The performance of the power supply changes due to the long-term usage. To maintain the power supply stable for a long time, proper verification and calibration need to be done.
For greater stability, the temperature should be of range 20-30°C.
4. Ripple & Noise
The output of DC power supply is often referred as period and random deviation. The term ripple may refer to periodic AC signal at the output. When you view the signal in frequency domain, ripples show the false responses.
Unlike ripple, noise is random and when viewed in frequency domain there is a slight increase in the baseline.
I think now you are familiar with the factors that you should look into for a power supply. Let’s see the 7 best power supply products in detail!
Few Words to Say
Now you came to know about the key factors that improve the performance of a DC power supply. What will be your next step? Which one are you going to buy? Low or high price? Quality? or the Performance?
Don’t get confused! We are here to help you out!
Of all the 7 DC power supply devices, we have selected Tekpower Variable DC Power Supply as the best because of its unique design and portable nature that can be used in labs, industries, research purposes etc. Internally, it features cooling fan provided with a thermal sensor to keep the device cool all the time.
Though the product is bit pricey, it offers excellent performance than others in the list. Also, the manufacturer of this item provides 1-year of warranty.
Take the right decision before you purchase the DC power supply. We hope this article is helpful. Further, if you have any doubts or questions about DC power supply, write to us in the comment section given below.