A mouse cursor is the most used component in any operating system and hence, when it starts to malfunction, operating on any computer becomes difficult. A common issue with the mouse pointer is that it starts blinking too fast.
Generally, a mouse cursor blinks on a text area so that the user can spot and type anything. But when it starts to blink faster than usual, it indicates that something is wrong. Many Windows 10 users have reported facing the blinking cursor issue and there are various reasons for the issue to occur. In this article, we will illustrate the solutions to the problem of the blinking cursor.
- What Are The Causes That Can Make The Cursor To Blink?
- How To Solve ‘Blinking Cursor’ Issue On Windows 10?
What Are The Causes That Can Make The Cursor To Blink?
When you are working on different computer applications, the cursor will act as an indicator. However, when the cursor is blinking, it will make the computer operation very annoying and difficult. Often, it can be due to the mouse or mouse drivers. It can also be due to many other reasons like
- Device Drivers: Keyboard and mouse drivers are the communicators between the hardware devices and the operating system. When they are outdated or corrupt, you may experience mouse blinking issue.
- Video Drivers: Graphics drivers send instructions and signals for displaying on the monitor. When the video drivers are corrupt, there can be many problems that may include the blinking of the cursor.
- Problem with Windows Explorer: The entire file management, as well as desktop management, is done through Windows Explorer. Mouse blinking can happen when Windows Explorer is in an error state.
- External Devices: Even biometrics devices can lead to conflicts that make flickering of the cursor.
- HP SimplePass: There can be a possibility of a blinking cursor due to HP SimplePass. Users with HP biometric devices use HP SimplePass application. You will have to disable the application to fix the blinking cursor issue.
- Antivirus and Third-party Software: When you have an antivirus installed, it can lead to the blinking of the mouse. For this reason, it is important to disable the antivirus. Often, there can be other third-party software that is not updated or with bugs that can lead to the problem.
How To Solve ‘Blinking Cursor’ Issue On Windows 10?
Since there are different causes that are responsible for the blinking cursor issue to occur, there are various solutions to the problem also available. You should try them out one by one and fix the issue instantly.
Method 1 – Restart Windows Explorer
When Windows Explorer gets into erroneous state, the blinking cursor problem gets prominent. Restarting Windows Explorer can solve this problem instantly.
Step 1: Launch Task Manager by pressing “Ctrl + Alt + Delete” together.
Step 2: Under the tab Processes look for “Windows Explorer” and click on it.
Step 3: Click “End Task“.
Step 4: Click the option “File” on the top followed by “Run new task“.
Step 5: In the “Create new task” box, type “explorer.exe” and hit Ok.
Method 2 – Updating Keyboard and Mouse Drivers
You should have the keyboard and mouse drivers updated to their latest versions and here are the steps to follow.
Step 1: Open Settings by pressing the Windows key + X button simultaneously.
Step 2: Look for Device Manager and click on it.
Step 3: Locate “Mice and other pointing devices” and right-click on it.
Step 4: Click on the option Update Driver.
Step 5: Restart your computer.
Method 3: Fix Video Driver Issue
You need to fix the issues with your video drivers so that the blinking cursor issue could be solved.
Step 1: Go to WinX Menu by pressing the Windows logo key and X on your keyboard.
Step 2: Select Device Manager.
Step 3: Locate “Sound Video and Game Controller” and expand it.
Step 4: Right-click on it and hit on Update Driver.
Step 5: Right-click on “Display adapters” and click Update Driver.
Step 6: Restart your PC.
Method 4: Disabling HP Simplepass
If you have a biometric device that needs HP SImplepass application for operation, you need to disable Simplepass temporarily to see if it is the culprit behind the issue.
Step 1: Open HP SimplePass from the Start menu.
Step 2: Click the Settings icon.
Step 3: Under Personal Settings, uncheck the option “LaunchSite”
Step 5: Click Ok for the changes.
Method 5: Disable Biometric Device
The most common reason for blinking cursor issue in Windows 10 is the external biometric device you have connected. Therefore, you should disable the device temporarily and see if the problem is solved.
Step 1: Open WinX Menu by pressing Windows+X keys together.
Step 2: Go to Device Manager.
Step 3: Double click on Biometric devices to expand it.
Step 4: Right-click on the biometric device of your system and select “Disable”.
Step 5: Restart your PC.
Method 6: Disable Antivirus Software
Antivirus software is often the culprit behind most of the problems Windows users face. Therefore, you need to disable your antivirus software temporarily to check if the problem is solved. If you are using Microsoft Defender Antivirus, here are the steps to follow.
Step 1: Click the Windows key and go to Settings app.
Step 2: Click on Update & Security.
Step 3: Click on Windows Security.
Step 4: Select “Virus & threat protection“.
Step 5: Turn off “Real-Time Protection” from the option Manage Settings.
If the above-mentioned tips don’t work, you can look for third-party repairing tools. Such a tool scans and looks for the issue and repairs automatically or recommends steps to fix the problem.
The frustration of a blinking mouse cursor can affect the overall performance. By going through the above methods, you will be able to solve the issue of a blinking cursor. Thankfully, there are also other ways to deal with problems. If none of these work you will have to visit the support center so that you will be able to fix the problem.