A Tool Box is a very useful piece of equipment to organize your tools whether you are a handyman, a professional, a DIYer or even to organize tools at your home. While tool chests are big and support a lot of tools, simple tool boxes are extremely portable, which is very important to move your tools with you from one project to another.
It is vital that almost every professional should be having a proper Tool Box, which must contain all the necessary tools and also must be easy in the transport.
In this article, we are going to talk about the best toolbox you can buy on the internet. We listed out some of the best tool boxes out there along with their features, so that you can make an easy decision.
Given that a toolbox is a single time purchase, you should be investing in a proper unit that will stay with you for a very long time. Thus, before finalizing on a particular tool box, be sure that you are considering the following key factors first:
- Storage Capacity: The first big thing to consider is the actual storage capacity of the box. Here, the choice should be dependent on how and what you wish to store. If you wish to store your regular tools along with some power tools, you would want a large box with compartments to fit in the regular tools. If you are to store some basic equipment or basic tools, then you would want to choose a basic storage box but something that has a wide range of compartments etc.,
- The Durability of the Box: The durability and the make of the box are also very important factors that you should be considering. This will give you a great idea as to how heavy lifting the box can do. The rule of thumb is to go for boxes that are made out of IPX waterproof and scratchproof materials. Also, make sure that the box needs to be all weatherproof as well, especially if you are working in extreme conditions. This aids in making sure that you can take the box to almost in any work conditions.
- Portability: Finally, the portability of the box is considered. For heavy boxes, this includes having wheels or handles of sorts. Additionally, some tool boxes come with attachments that will help you in fixing the box to larger equipment, walls, hooks etc., These sort of attachments will increase the chance of making your toolbox portable and if not, easier to migrate from one point to another.
- Price: This is one of the important factor. There are tool boxes ranging from as low as $15 to as high as $100 or more. You have to make calculated purchase of the right tool box, which not only fits your budget but also meets your requirements.
The above mentioned factors and a thorough analysis of reviews and ratings have been the foundation of picking the following products. Now let us jump in to list of Best Tool Boxes and review them.
9 Best Tool Boxes
|Tool Box||Build Materials||Buy Now|
|Dewalt Tool Box||Plastic Foam Molded Thick Walls||Check On Amazon|
|GEARWRENCH Black Toolbox||Alloy Steel||Check On Amazon|
|Akro-Mils Tool Box||Moulded Foam Plastic||Check On Amazon|
|MAXPOWER Tool Box||Plastic||Check On Amazon|
|Black+Decker Tool Box||Moulded Foam Plastic||Check On Amazon|
|Apollo Tool Box||Alloy Steel, Metal||Check On Amazon|
|Craftsman Toolbox||Metal||Check On Amazon|
|BIG RED Tool Box||Alloy Steel, Metal||Check On Amazon|
|Stanley STST19410 Toolbox||Moulded Foam Plastic||Check On Amazon|
|Plano Molding Tool Box||Moulded Foam Plastic||Check On Amazon|
9 Best Tool Boxes Reviews
First on our list is one of the top-rated and best-reviewed toolboxes. DEWALT is a renowned company in the industry and the DEWALT Tool Box DWST08204 Extra Large Tough System is from a series of carrying cases from the house of DEWALT. The company has a wide range of carrying and storage products from storage to portability.
- Highly robust built foam-based box with a very large interior storage space and superior durability
- The vertical internal storage is great for placing hand tools
- It has a removable tray for hand tools and other misc. objects
- Comes with side latches that let you stack one module over the other thus giving you clear shelf function and also segregation possibility as well.
- The side handles are smooth and makes it very easy carry around and let you place a lot of such boxes on the Metal carrier easily
- Made out of IP65 Integrated water seal outside and inside which will give you greater protection against any moisture or weather conditions.
- Anti-rust metal latches that are weather friendly
- Can store weights up to capacity of 110 lbs. easily
- Has a central locking mechanism, which is built to facilitate its stacking on the Tough System stacking family
- Foldable brackets which enable tailored configurations for the metal carriers
- The foam box wall is about 4 mm in thickness thus gives it a robust quality even if used as a single unit.
- The vertical compartments are easily interchangeable for the box to be used as one large unit or shelved too.
- The box is also available in different models and the Tough System family is a large suite of storage and movement utilities
- 3-year limited warranty
- Though it is portable with the latches and handles, the quality of the handle is not up to the mark and if you load it with 110 lbs. of tools, then the handle might not last long.
The next product on our list comes from a reliable brand called GEARWRENCH. Their 83151-model toolbox has made to our list because of its quality construction and portability. This toolbox is suitable for professionals and DIYers.
- Comes with 3 drawers which provides ample space to store a wide range of tools.
- It comes with a center keyed lock for added security
- As the toolbox is coated with wipes, it is easy to clean. This coating also prevents corrosion and rust.
- It also comes with a cantilever tray.
- The top compartment is 2.5 inches in height while the drawers are 2 inches in height.
- It has a total storage volume of 2040 in3 which is good for storing several tools.
- The sliders are equipped with ball bearings which makes it easy to open and close them.
- It just weighs 20 pounds, so you can carry it easily anywhere you want.
- Some people experienced issues with drawers after few months of usage.
Next up we have the Akro Mils ProBox, a 14 inches large plastic built toolbox. This red colored box gives you the vintage feel as a professional 70’s toolman. Also, Akro Mills comes with a fantastic 70 years history into building affordable storage equipment.
- Comes with very large storage space and a total of 14 inches in length
- Has a quite large removable tray for you to store smaller equipment or tools
- The box has a very strong steel latch to it. The padlock’s eye is large enough to shut the box close for the better
- Loaded boxes can be carried around with great ease and comfort as the handle has a very comfortable and highly secure grip to it
- The outer layer of the box is chemical resistant and as the product is made in the USA, you can rest assured of the quality
- Affordable pricing and very good storage capacity
- Could have had a bit more compartments or shelves
Maxpower 17 Toolbox, help you store and organize your tools.” This toolbox is carefully designed to give you lots of space to store your tools and keep them safe. It’s a great tool for both home and work tasks. It is Made from strong polypropylene (PP) material, which is strong and can handle everyday wear and tear. It is three folding layers give you lots of space to store your tools, so you can find them when you need them.
It has a special double-lock buckle for extra security. This feature makes sure your tools stay safe and lowers the chance of accidents. Also, the toolbox has a see-through parts box, so you can see and grab small parts and accessories.
- Three folding layers provide abundant space for tools and equipment.
- Made from sturdy polypropylene (PP) for long-lasting use.
- Equipped with a double-lock buckle design to secure your tools.
- Allows easy access to small components and accessories.
- Spacious storage capacity.
- Durable and long-lasting.
- Enhanced safety features.
- Convenient access to small parts.
- May be relatively heavy when fully loaded.
- Limited color options.
- Transparent parts box can scratch over time.
Beyond by Black+Decker is a sub-brand of products, which have a complete set of home improvement tools for your DIY works. With easy to use features, the brand’s products allow you to maintain your home, yard, and garden effortlessly. This tool box is a versatile one that allows you to store a wide range of items including small parts and bigger tools. There are removable trays so that you don’t have to carry extra load when not needed.
- It comes as a bundle with two separate boxes – 19 inches and 12 inches that allow you to carry tools of different sizes.
- There are two removable components on the top of the lid that can be used to carry smaller tools and screws. And, the larger tools can be kept in the lockable compartment.
- The inner trays are detachable and so you can remove them when you do not have many tools to carry. This reduces weight, helps keep things organized, and increases portability.
- There is a built-in padlock to secure the tools inside the box. Besides, you can also add a small lock to it to ensure that the lock is secure.
- As the tool box is made of durable plastic, it can withstand frequent use and is lightweight. With a weight of only 6.74 pounds, the tool box is very easy to carry everywhere.
- It is not as durable as steel or other metals.
- It is susceptible to damage when you use it roughly.
The Apollo Steel Tool Box is a strong storage box. This box is 14 inches long, 8.86 inches wide, and 9.65 inches tall. It is weighing 10.3 pounds. and it is made of strong steel with a special coated finish for protection. It can organize many different things, making it very versatile.
This toolbox can hold your stuff like tools, school things, sewing stuff, and craft supplies. The deep top compartment offers space. It comes with lifetime warranty.
- Versatile storage for tools, school supplies, and crafts.
- Sturdy steel construction with a protective finish.
- Smooth-opening drawers on ball bearings.
- Contribution to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation.
- Lifetime warranty on hand tools.
- Multifunctional and durable.
- Easy access to items.
- Supports a charitable cause.
- Long-lasting tool warranty.
- Relatively heavyweight for some users.
Yet another red colored toolbox chest, the Craftsman is a metal chest that comes with 3 drawers. Very sturdy in build, the chest comes with great reviews and ratings to it.
- Plenty of storage space but has a compact structure to it.
- The hinges are tight and sturdy in it that can withstand any rough handling
- The lid might seem a bit chintzy after a while but it does the job
- The drawers are piano styled and can be pilled out with great ease
- All while they have a great locking mechanism to them as well.
- The box’s handle has a rough handle which makes it easier to hang it by just about anything.
- Wobbly drawers.
BIG RED 20 is a strong red tool box with three drawers and secure latches, perfect for storing your tools. It is Made from strong alloy steel, that can carry up to 90 lbs. of tools, which is best for both professionals and DIY enthusiasts. It is 20.5 inches long, 8.5 inches wide, and 12 inches tall, providing lots of storage space in a small size.
The three big drawers slide on smooth tracks, making it simple to get to your tools. It keeps your tools safe and organized with two strong steel latches. The handle is designed for your comfort, making it easy to carry your tools, even when they are heavy. The strong steel and shiny red paint make it tough and look good too. It comes with 1 year warranty.
- Durable alloy steel construction
- Three spacious drawers with smooth slides
- Strong steel latches for security
- Comfortable carrying handle
- Compact design with ample storage
- Sturdy and durable
- Space-saving design
- Limited color options
- No built-in locking mechanism
- Limited to 90 lbs. capacity
- Designed with a robust structure with large interior storage space and superior durability.
- With its extra-wide soft-grip handle, you can easily lift and carry it around to your workplace.
- It has a removable tray that provides enough space for larger tools to be stored underneath.
- Sized at 19-inches length, by 9 inches height and 10.25 inches width.
- Organizers on top lid for small parts storage and convenience to use.
- It is a one-hand operation latch that allows opening while other hand is occupied and also shuts automatically.
- Affordable pricing and good storage capacity.
- It has a black powder coat finish and offers a limited lifetime warranty on any manufacturing defects.
- It is durable, versatile, and secure that gives the mobile craftsman the versatility they need for the workplace.
- Made out of high-quality plastic that ensures greater shelf life.
- It could have a bit more space/shelves for proper storage.
- Could improve the design of the latch locking system.
Much like the heavy foam built grade of the DEWALT, the Plano 823-003 contractor-grade PO series is a 22 inches large Tool Box with black handles and latches. The grey graphite box comes with all there is much like the Jegs box mentioned above but with a robust build, looks and large capacity.
- Highly reviewed and rated box to store and arrange a wide range of tools
- Molded plastic heavy foam built box
- Sized at 22 inches length, by 13.5 inches height and a 12.5 inches breadth.
- Plano modelling molded with high-quality foam and durable build quality
- Includes two lift-out trays. These trays facilitate deep storage compartments which can let you either store a lot of small tools, a couple of large tools or adjust both large and small tools.
- The fold-down handle will let you take the toolbox with you wherever you go with great ease.
- Includes two stove away organizers that will stay in their place securely without any movement or disorganizing.
- The handles and the latches are reinforced for better durability and strength.
- Extra deep construction and the easy access to that is an add on feature
- Comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty from the date of purchase, which is a promising addition to such storage products.
- None too specific to mention
Frequently Asked Questions:
Ans: The first and foremost thing to look for in a tool box is its build material. Tool boxes are available in plastic as well as metal (steel or aluminum) bodies. Plastic toolboxes are good for home usages and in-home garages. Aluminum is a popular choice among professionals as it is lightweight and durable. Steel tool boxes are very durable and also expensive.
The next important thing is the storage capacity of a tool box. Some tool boxes can fit all the tools such as hammers, pliers, screwdrivers, nuts and bolts, while other tool boxes have storage space only for smaller items such as nails, screws, nuts, bolts etc.
Ans: Initially, the tool boxes are chosen to have red color as a convenience. Due to some popular tool boxes being red, many manufacturers started to use red for their tool boxes as well. So, it became an unofficial standard to use red color for tool boxes. Some say that the color red provides a better resistance to humidity and oxidation due to the usage of lead oxide in red paint.
Ans: Properly organizing a tool box is very important if you don’t want to worry about misplacing a tool or to quickly locate a particular tool when required. Take necessary time to organize your tool box. Begin with sorting all the tools: screwdrivers, pliers, wrenches, hammers, power tools, everything.
Categorize them neatly such as different screwdrivers (different sizes of flat head, Philips etc.), pliers and others. If you have multiple tools of same type, then choose the one that is more important and necessary. Now, assign locations for each set of tools and start placing them.
Heavy and bigger tools such hammers usually go into the main center cabinet. Pliers, screwdrivers, wrenches, etc. can be arranged in separate compartments. Always have some essential tools such as a measuring tape, flashlight (with extra batteries), electrical insulation tape, fishing wire, ruler etc. in the tool box.
Ans: Use a large sheet or cloth to dump all the tools from your tool box. Use regular household cleaner for cleaning all the dust and dirt. A cloth soaked in paint thinner can be used to clean oil and grease from the tool box. For plastic toolboxes, any regular plastic cleaner can be used to clean it.
Ans: Some common tools that most people carry in their toolbox are:
* Screwdrivers (flathead and Philips)
* Adjustable wrench
* Claw hammer
* Pliers (different types)
* Power drill or power screwdriver
* Allen key set
* Try square
* Knife (with extra blades)
* Flash light (with extra batteries)
* Duct tape
* Gloves and googles
Out of all the options available, the DEWALT Toolbox is the best of the lot. This extra large box has a very large and robust build quality and ample storage, plenty of shelves, compartments and much more. The handles of the box are smooth, can weather any climatic conditions and is made out of anti-rust elements thanks to the IP 65 waterproof material build making it the best toolbox to buy online.
While those were our picks, we are intrigued by your choices and interests. Did you like our list? Or do you want us to add or remove anything from the list? If so, feel free to write to us in the comments section below and our team will write back to you as soon as possible.