What is a Universal Joint?
A universal joint comes in the form of a mechanical device for linking rotating shafts together. It can be perfect for the transmission of rotary motion or torque. By using a universal joint, there will be the easy transmission of power from one point to another. There are many types of universal joints as they are available in different shapes and sizes. You will also find universal joints in different configurations.
Understanding of U-Joints
We have stated that U-joints or universal joints come in different shapes and sizes. You can easily determine the type of U-joint for different types of applications including the external lock. All you have to do is to make measurements of some important dimensions. The common type of drive shaft U-joints is lug or snap ring.
If you are building a custom muscle car that has driveline components from different sources, you will come across U-joints of different sizes. As a custom vehicle, you will have to look for the right type of U-joint in the local auto parts store. For this reason, it is important to take the measurements carefully.
If you have the U-joint, you will have to measure driveshaft U-joint fitment in the following ways.
- Begin by measuring the outside distance of the U-joint. It must be with caps installed.
- Measure the caps’ diameter. Ensure that the diameter and width dimensions are carefully checked.
You need to follow these steps for measuring the driveshaft U-joint fitment if you don’t have U-joint.
- Measure the distance between the pinion yokes and transmission logs.
- Also, measure the distance yoke.
- To get the cap diameter, you will have to measure the yoke gap and diameter.
- Again you will have to confirm the dimensions carefully as they may be different.
U-Joint Size Chart –
Standard U-Joint Series
Conversion U-Joint Series
It is very important to have universal joints before you can apply them in your field. Along with learning the application U-joints, you have to get the size chart at your disposal so that you can get the size perfectly correct to get the job done accurately.