Smart home automation technology is growing stronger and wider with each passing day. The customers are offered a plethora of innovative options to choose from. But, with all the latest products available to you, choosing the perfect one for your home can be a complicated and daunting task.
In this article, we will discuss everything that you need to know about the smart switch and the smart bulb. We hope that it will make you a smarter choice that makes more sense.
What is a Smart Switch?
It is a common tendency for people not to pay attention to light switches. But, once you switch your homes and offices to smart switches, your perception of it will change. These are similar to the traditional light switches and plugs into the traditional outlets but just with some advancements.
- It has capabilities of radio waves that allow nearby wireless connections to connect with the switch and be an integral part of IoT. This device also has advanced technologies such as voice control.
- They have a bit of a complicated design compared to traditional light switches. Some of the switches come with light indicators or additional sensors or have distinct light controls.
Majorly, smart switches use neutral and ground wiring. So, make sure that there is neutral wiring at the switch or you need an electrician to take care of the things.
How Does a Smart Switch work?
The smart switches act as a replacement for the dumb switches and usually work with the traditional bulbs enabling them to operate in a smart way. You just need to have competent electrical wiring with the smart switch that you are working with.
We have discussed all the possibilities of the smart switch below.
- You can operate the turning on and off of the electrical appliances through your phone or any voice command to the smart speaker.
- Again, you can also use the conventional method to turn the switch on or off as the smart switch offers you the option of doing both.
- Some variants of the smart switches also feature motion sensors and support dimming to enable better features in the category.
- It has a lower price than the conventional switch and saves a lot of money.
Advantages and Disadvantages of a Smart Switch
Now, let us get to the advantages that are related to the smart switch. Firstly, you can use it with any kind of bulb you want. Moreover, the switches also work when the power is disconnected. You can be picky with the bulb in terms of style, shape and size.
Installation is very complicated and tricky and you have to go through all of the daunting process if you want to shift the place of the bulb. Also, scaling the system is much more expensive than smart bulbs.
What is a Smart Bulb?
LED smart bulbs have wireless connectivity technology which enables users to connect to their smartphones or tablets. They are available in different sizes and colors which allows homeowners to customize them according to their preferences. There are some advancements in smart bulbs compared to traditional bulbs and they have been elaborated on below.
- With the use of internet technology, you can achieve a number of tasks starting from the basic on/ off functions to more enhanced tasks such as scheduling and acting as a larger home setup part. You can control it through your phone.
- There are sensors installed in the smart bulbs which allow them to work as security lighting when motion is detected or the doorbell rings. It can also act as a Bluetooth speaker to play your favorite songs.
The possibilities with the smart bulb are endless but you need to know about some details regarding them.
How Does a Smart Bulb Work?
Smart bulbs are easily among the least complicated devices to work with. They can turn on after being fitted into the existing light socket. You do not go through any kind of tiring installation process for installing them. After which you need to download the app which will enable you to change the brightness, change the color and turn the bulb on or off depending on the usage.
We have listed all the possibilities with the smart bulb below.
- Several smart bulbs can be customized to all RGB Colors. That means that you can set the smart bulbs to orange or pink, while some are set to the favorite white or yellow tones.
- You can also dim the lights without any extra writing. The technology adjusts the brightness of the lights which enables it to work as a night lamp too.
- You can easily turn the smart bulls on or off according to convenience through your smart devices.
- You can automate the timings for the smart bulbs to work and the color settings for each of them.
- You can customize each smart bulb according to your preference in color and brightness.
- It also enables you to sync music and movies which will then match the light settings according to the tone of the music.
Advantages and Disadvantages of a Smart Bulb
Smart bulbs have their fair share of advantages. The installation is quite simple with the smart bulbs and you can easily move it to a new fixture if required. There are many options to choose from. The smart bulbs enable you to connect the lights to the camera, stream audio over Bluetooth, track and detect motion, and also change colors and adjust brightness.
There are some drawbacks too which include that they are available in only E-shape standard screws and are A-shape bulbs which do not allow you to fix in any other fixture. If it is fixed to an in-wall dimmer, the light can buzz and flicker. With no power, the bulb will also disconnect from the smart home system.
Which is Better, Smart Switch or Smart Bulb?
There is no straight answer to the above question, it depends on the requirements of the user and the option which he/she finds more convenient and attractive. That being said, smart light bulbs offer several features like colour change, adjusting brightness and convenience to operate it. Also, the smart bulb operates with lesser electricity. However, in this case, the smart switch is even better as it consumes even less power than a smart bulb.
Some rooms are benefitted from a smart bulb while other systems are benefitted from smart switches as a whole. The smart light needs to be disconnected from the system when the power is off but that is not the case when the smart switch is concerned.
Both the smart switch and smart bulb offer the convenience of use beyond everyone’s imagination. However, there are different protocols that you must follow to get 0.the smart switch and the smart bulb installed.
When installing the smart light or the smart bulb, there are certain things that you need to keep in mind so it is ideal to call a professional electrician for the task. So the choice depends on you between the two and on your requirements. We have discussed all you need to know about the smart switch and the smart bulb. If you still have any doubts or queries, feel free to write to us in the comments section below.