“Comfortable Yet Powerful Mowers to Maintain Large Yards/Lawn Easily”
Riding lawn mowers not only make it easy but also takes less effort to mow the lawn. Compared to pushing movers, these machines reduce the time by 50% at least.
Purchasing a lawn mower is not a simple task as there are several aspects to consider. Some of them are mentioned below…
1. Type – Based on their working principle, lawn mowers come in different types.
- Rear Engine Lawn Mowers – for small gardens or lawns (up to ½ acre max)
- Front Engine Lawn Mowers – For large gardens (more than ½ acre)
- Zero Turn Lawn Mowers – for lawns with several obstacles like trees, shrubs, fountains and etc.
2. Cutting Width or Deck Size
It represents the amount of grass coverage the mower can cut in a single pass. The cutting width of movers range from 30 inches to 54 inches.
- 40 inches – suitable for lawns up to ½ acre. It takes 12 passes for ½ acre lawn.
- 42 to 48 inches – lawns from ½ to 2 acres. It completes mowing in 8 passes for ½ acre.
- 50+ inch – for lawns with 3 acres or more area. It takes just 6 passes for ½ acre.
3. Engine Power
It represents the efficiency of the engine and usually measured in horsepower (HP). Lawn mowers come in 16HP to 23HP range. 16HP is suitable for small lawns (1-acre), 20HP for medium lawns (2 or 3 acres) and 24HP for large to very large yards (4 to 5 acres).
Other features to consider are mobility, durability, wheels, controls and warranty. For detail information on how to choose a Riding Lawn Mower, we recommend read our “Buying Guide”.
Based on the same information, we have analyzed the products available in the market and shortlisted the Best Riding Lawn Mower.
Best Riding Lawn Mowers 2023
|Riding Lawn Mower
|Cutting Deck Size
|Husqvarna Zero-Turn Riding Mower
|Check On Amazon
|Ariens IKON-XD Turn Riding Mower
|Check On Amazon
|Husqvarna YTH18542 Riding Mower
|Check On Amazon
|Craftsman Riding Lawn Mower
|Check On Amazon
|Husqvarna MZ61 Riding Lawn Mower
|Check On Amazon
Top Riding Lawn Mowers: Reviews
Husqvarna is one of the well-known, oldest, and most popular brands of power tools that is mostly known for its lawn mowers, chainsaws, and leaf blowers.
This Z254 riding mower is one of the powerful zero-turn riding mowers due to its Kohler 7000 series V-Twin engine that offers a power rating of 26HP and operates with 6.5 MPH as its maximum speed for reliable startups. It has an ergonomic control panel, comfortable seat, removable foot plate, convenient deck lift, rugged frame & casters, rear engine guard, and anti-slip foot area to make it a safe and intuitive mowing.
Its hydrostatic transmission type has no maintenance, which lets the mower be used in various cutting conditions. While its patent-pending park brake system will activate or deactivate automatically as the steering levers move inward or outward. The air induction mowing technology will draw air from the top and bottom of the deck, and thereby delivers a greater cut.
It has a 54-inch clearcut fabricated cutting deck that is wide enough to cut a lot of grass at once quickly and easily due to its superior airflow, deep deck design, and high-performance blades. Furthermore, it is highly reliable, durable, and strong that comes with a 2-year warranty. Also, you need to purchase a mulching kit or bagger attachment separately to discharge mulch or bag its clippings.
- 54-inch cutting width
- Kohler 7000 series engine
- 26 HP engine power
- 2 years manufacturer warranty
- Strong, reliable, and durable option
- Maximum speed of 6.5 MPH
- Reinforced steel stamped cutting deck
- Cutting-edge design for easy lawn maintenance.
- Air induction mowing technology
- Riding lawn mower
- User manual
- Warranty card
Ariens can be a great option if you are looking for tools and equipment for your gardening needs. As you would expect, it also makes decently powerful riding lawn mowers.
Ariens IKON-XD riding lawn mower is one of the highly powerful options. Like the previous option, it is powered by a Kawasaki engine and has automatic operation mode. Also, it has a 725 CC engine that is quite large and highly powerful. Its 4-inch deep fabricated with advanced airflow will aid in exceptional cutting performance. With its 13 cutting positions (1 ½ to 4 ½ inches with quarter-inch increments).
It offers a power of 23 HP which makes it one of the most powerful options out there. You get a large 52-inch cutting deck size, which is quite large and lets you cut a lot of grass with this mower at once. Also, it comes with a comfortable back seat featuring a padded adjustable armrest that allows you to use the lawn mower easily in the backyard for a long time without any issues.
- 52-inch cutting width
- 725 CC Kawasaki engine
- 23 HP engine power
- Offers 13 cutting positions
- Strong, durable, and reliable
- Comfortable backseat with padded armrests.
- Riding lawn mower
- User manual
- Warranty card.
The YTH18542 is another riding mower model from the house of Husqvarna. It comes with a Briggs and Stratton Intek engine with 18.5 HP that provides powerful performance. It has a 42-inch reinforced cutting deck having dual anti-scalp wheels and air induction mowing technology.
The riding mower operates with a foot pedal hydrostatic transmission that let you change the direction and speed with the steering wheel for optimal driving and safe and efficient performance.
Its tight 16-inch turning radius will navigate around obstacles and easily mow in tighter spaces. The adjustable 13-inch mid-back seat and ergonomically designed steering wheel will offer easy and comfortable operation. Whereas, its reverse operating system will allow the user to mow in a reverse direction.
Air induction mowing technology enhances the airflow within the deck, and thereby ensures a clean, constant cutting all the time. The manufacturer offers 2 years limited warranty with extensive coverage. It comes with a series of tow-able accessories and a mulch kit to have efficient lawn fertilization.
- 42-inch cutting width
- 5 HP engine power
- Air induction mowing technology
- 2-year warranty
- Hydrostatic transmission for smooth operation
- Reverse operating system
- Riding lawn mower
- User manual
- Warranty card
Craftsman is a highly popular brand of power tools that makes all kinds of power tools for different users. You can even find lawn mower options from Craftsman, including a riding lawn mower.
This Craftsman T225 riding lawn mower is present in the 4th position in this article as it offers a lot of things for its given price. Despite its lower price tag, it can provide a decent performance due to the user. It comes with a decent 540 CC engine. This engine is able to generate an HP power rating of 46 HP. In other words, you can quickly and easily cut all the grass in your backyard lawn.
You get 15-inch wheels at the front and 20-inch wheels at the back of this lawn mower that is quite handy. These allow you to easily navigate this lawn mower even through thick grass without any issues. As per the name of this riding lawn mower, it comes with a 46-inch cutting deck size that is quite wide. You can use this to easily cut a lot of grass at once in your backyard.
- 46-inch cutting width
- 540 CC engine
- 19 HP engine power
- 2-year warranty
- 15-inch wheels at the front
- 20-inch wheels at the back
- Adjustable transmission for variable speed
- Riding lawn mower
- User manual
- Warranty card
Husqvarna is a leading manufacturer of several outdoor power and lawn care equipment. This riding lawn mover comes with a 61-inch cutting deck from the MZ series that will provide commercial-grade power and amazing ergonomics. Thus, it is an ideal option to use for medium to large-sized landscapes and even terrain.
It comes with Briggs & Stratton Endurance engine along with 27HP that provides powerful performance. Also, it offers 12 cutting height steps, 3 blades, 11 gauge deck thickness, and a steel cutting deck for effective cutting. While its 5-gallon fuel tank will aid in long-lasting performance without much checking the gas levels.
The hydraulic wheel drive allows precise maneuvering and lets the mower rotate around easily. Whereas, its ergonomic seat and comfortable steering will provide complete control over its riding operations. It has other amazing features like an hour meter with service reminder, a 9-bushel collection system, easy-to-access service points, a removable foot pan, and a pedal-assisted cutting deck lift.
- Briggs & Stratton Endurance engine with MZ series.
- 61-inch cutting width and offers 27 HP engine power
- Hydrostatic steering wheel to change the speed and direction
- The 9-bushel triple bag collection system
- High-back seat with armrests
- Hour meter with service reminder
- Comfortable steering and ergonomic seats
- 5-gallon fuel tank volume.
- Offers limited lifetime warranty
- Riding lawn mower
- User manual
- Warranty card.
How Does a Riding Lawn Mower Work?
Main components of a lawn mower are engine, seating, controls and cutting blades/deck. Driver sits on top of the mower and controls it using levers or steering wheel. When you start the motor, the fuel ignites the engine which in turn powers the controls and blades. Most of the riding lawn mowers come with adjustable cutting blade width which can be adjusted according to your requirements. Using the levers or steering wheel, you can move forward or backward. Basically, you can drive the lawn mower just like a tractor or a car. As you move, the cutting blades present below the mower will cut the grass clippings. Some of these lawn mowers come with additional attachments like collection bag to collect the grass clippings.
How to Choose a Riding Lawn Mower?
There are so many varieties/brands available for riding lawnmowers, which makes it a bit difficult to pick the right mower. So, here we have listed some essential features to help you find the best ride-on mower, as per your requirement. Check it out.
1. Types of Riding Lawn Mower:
Generally, there are three types of lawn mowers – Rear Engine, Zero Turn Lawn Mower and Lawn Tractor (or) Front Engine. Let’s know about each type in detail.
- For a small-sized yard (less than a 1/2-acre), you can opt for a rear-engine lawnmower, which is smaller and let you navigate a smaller yard effectively and efficiently.
- For medium to large-sized yards (higher than 1/2-acre), choose a zero-turn mower or lawn tractor, which let you mow effortlessly.
- If your yard has a significant number of obstacles, then prefer to invest in a zero-turn mower rather than a lawn tractor. A zero-turn mower will navigate around gardens, trees, and flower beds quickly.
- For sloped yards, pick a zero-turn mower or lawn tractor with high engine power (HP) as it can climb slopes easily
2. Power Source:
Before buying a riding lawn mower, you have to decide whether it should be electric- or gas-powered. One should know about the pros and cons of each type before sticking to anyone.
Gas Powdered Lawn Mower – They are more powerful and works well with fuel and can mow medium to larger yards effectively. These are louder, less eco-friendly, and need more maintenance (need to change oil, replace spark plugs, air filter, etc.). It is suitable for mowing thicker lawns, as they trim grass perfectly, even around the obstacles.
Electric Powdered Lawn Mower – Less powerful and have shorter runtime (about 1 hour) yet easy to start, quieter operation, eco-friendly and require less maintenance. Suits to mow for small – medium sized lawns, like up to 1-acre. In case, if there are any obstacles like inclines, thick grass or flower beds, then the mower needs more effort and quickly drains the battery.
3. Deck Size:
Cutting width will let you know the width of the lawn mower’s cutting area. So, a mower with a wider cutting deck size will cover more area and mow lawn in less time. For instance, a mower with a 54-inch cutting deck will offer 30% more coverage area when compared with a 33-inch lawnmower.
Here are some guidelines/general rules, which you have to follow while choosing this riding lawnmower.
- To mow a yard of up to 1/2 acre, choose a lawnmower with a cutting deck of 40-inches or less.
- For medium-sized lawns (1/2 acre to 2 acres), look for a mower with a cutting deck of about 42 – 48 inches.
- For larger lawns (3-acres or more), you will need a mower with a minimum cutting deck size of 50-inches.
Horsepower (HP) is a measurement that tells you about the power output of the engine. Here the power output is shared between the various components of the mower like cutting blades and drive transmission.
The engine with more HP will distribute more power among the mower parts to perform the tasks. So, the mower engine with more HP will allow you to perform tasks like moving the mower across the lawn, even up hills and provide the cutting power required to trim heavy grass quickly.
The horsepower of lawn mowers comes within the range of 16 HP to 24 HP for better performance as per your yard size.
- For small lawns (1-acre), use a mower with an engine’s capacity of 16HP
- For medium lawns (2 – 3 acres), a 20HP mower is suitable.
- For large yards (4 – 6 acres), go with a mower having 24 HP.
Mowers prefer to work on flat and even surfaces with thin or fine grass but it won’t always happen. In certain times, there may be thicker grass patches, slopes in the lawn, rough terrain or thick weeds. If you have this type of uneven lawn, then a riding lawn mower is your best option.
For instance, your yard has thick or heavy grass then pick a mower with at least 4 different blades. Having slope in the land, then prefer a model that offers a small-sized deck to manoeuvre it easily and less possibility of digging into the ground.
So, it is essential to consider the terrain of your yard before you choose and make a purchase of a lawn mower.
The transmission help mower to transfer the power from the engine to its wheels and thereby make the machine move back and forth. There are three types of transmission available for the mowers – Manual, Automatic, and Hydrostatic. Let’s get into its details.
Manual Transmission – It offers a range of set speeds in which you can select the speed according to your need. While the older models use a clutch to shift between speeds (or) you have to stop it. For choosing the manual transmission model, check for the one, which let you shift easily without using a clutch.
Automatic Transmission – You can easily control the mower’s speed by using a pedal in this automatic models. This is the best option for those looking for easy control over the ride (or) have to slow down frequently while driving around obstacles.
Hydrostatic Transmission – Here, the system uses fluid instead of belts, to transfer the power from mower’s engine to its wheels. So, this fluid-based system will deliver the smoothest ride and thereby needs the least amount of maintenance.
7. Adjustable Cutting Deck Heights:
A cutting deck with adjustable heights is used to prevent the lawn scalping. This will let you either lower or elevate the cutting deck to make it perfectly suited for the area, which you’re mowing.
For instance, we observe manicured lawn at your patio area having a level surface. For this, you have to use a low setting to mow the area for a clean cut. While the other areas of your yard may have uneven terrain, then you have to raise the cutting deck to prevent scalps, which may damage the mower blades.
A few models offer a feature that let you change the cutting height while the mower is moving. Whereas, a few other models need a manual approach, in which you have to turn off the device to adjust the height and restart the machine.
8. Fuel Tank Capacity:
This feature is essential to consider while you’re using a gas-powered riding lawn mower. This fuel capacity will let you know how much gas a tank can hold and thereby prevent you to refill the tank multiple times while mowing the lawn.
It all depends on the size of the tank. For instance, a mower with a small fuel capacity is suitable to use for medium-sized yards, while a mower with a large fuel capacity is suitable for large properties. An average riding mower can easily hold about 2 gallons of gas, whereas a larger one can carry 3 – 4 gallons of gas.
9. Single Vs Twin Engines:
We generally notice some riding lawn mower models have single engine, whereas a few other models use twin engines for their efficient working. A mower with a single-engine will use a single-cylinder, whereas a twin-engine mower uses two cylinders.
A mower with twin-engine offers more power, which allows to tackle extensive yards and lawns with slopes. Also, they can handle other duties like hauling carts and plowing snow. A mower with a single-engine is less powerful than twin-engines but consumes less fuel.
10. Brushed Vs Brushless Motor:
This feature is essential to consider while purchasing an electric-powered riding lawn mower. A mower with a brushless motor (built without brushes) will produce less friction than the one with a standard brushed motor. Thus, the reduced friction will result in an efficient running of a motor.
In the brushless motor model, 85 – 90% of the generated energy will be used to power the mower. While a brushed motor provides 75 – 80% efficiency to the mower. An electric riding lawn mower using this brushless motor will maximize the efficiency of the battery and thereby extends its life/runtime before it needs to recharge.
So, brushless motors will effectively aid in transferring more power from the motor to the blades and wheels.
11. Battery Life and Runtime:
With continuous improvements in battery technology, battery-powered riding lawn mowers have become one of the best mowers. The runtime of a battery mower is different for different models, which depends on various factors like lawn type, size or terrain, battery size, etc.
For example, a mower with a 75 Ah battery will let your mow for about 1 hour, which can cover up to 1 acre before you require to recharge the battery. A mower battery will take up to 7 hours to get fully recharged.
A riding lawn mower with perfectly designed seating will allow you to complete the mowing task more effectively without much strain. Thickly padded seats with the high backs of a mower will provide excellent comfort and support. A few modern models offer various features like padded armrest with cup holders, spring-coil shock absorbers below the seat (or) may built into the mower’s frame.
The type of riding lawn mower you’re using will differentiate its controls. In general, lawn tractors and rear-engine mowers will use steering wheels for control, whereas a zero-turn riding mower will use 2 levers (pushing or pulling the levers) for its control.
Zero-Turn Riding Lawn Mower – Pushing or pulling the levers will control its speed and aids in proper turning. Pushing both levers will increase its speed. Pulling the left-hand lever will turn the mower to the left side, whereas pulling the right-hand lever will turn the tractor right.
Rear-Engine Riding Lawn Mower – Just like a manual transmission car, this mower comes with a gear system. Here the user has to shift gears to adjust the speed of the machine, but there will be a jerky feel in the mower while changing the gear.
Lawn Tractors – Features a throttle to adjust the speed. Most lawn tractors possess a hydrostatic transmission, which makes speed changes smoother when compared with rear-engine mowers.
Most riding mowers have a lever to engage and disengage the mowing deck and a lever that changes the deck’s height.
Generally, pneumatic air-filled tires are mostly used by the riding lawn mowers for proper movement, which provide traction and shock absorption. A few models use turf tires, which possess enough tread to offer traction for gripping the lawn, on either an incline or on flat ground, but too much tread in the tires may damage the lawn.
Lug tires is another tire option that uses aggressive angles, and deep grooves for maximum traction. This type of tires may damage your lawn, but used as an alternative lawn tractor to perform tasks like hauling trailers or plowing snow.
A small machine is quite easy to move around the plants, corners, and structures than a larger machine. Also, less manual work is required after mowing.
A mower with a smaller deck suits best you to mow around your yard, where it has a lot of trees or obstacles. While a mower with a commercial-sized wide cutting deck isn’t capable of mowing in narrow and tight spaces.
Using this small deck mower in a large yard is time-consuming. Then, a zero-turn lawn mower will be your best option, as it is easy to maneuver and work effectively. This mower has control levels for steering and thus allow you to steer easily 180° turn.
The weight of the riding lawn mower will let you mow easily or hardly. So, it is essential to consider this option while purchasing the lawn mower.
An average riding lawn mower will weigh between 300 – 600 pounds.
- A lawn tractor will weigh around 450 pounds.
- A rear-engine lawn mower will weigh about 300 pounds.
- A zero-turn lawn mower will weigh about 500 pounds.
The seats of riding lawn mowers come with a safety function that stops the blades when it found no pressure on the driver’s seat. Also, wear proper clothing like long pants, ear & eye protection and shoes before mowing. Make sure to keep the pets or children away from this machine. Avoid adding fuel on hot or vapors to ignite the fuel. Turn off the unit before you remove grass clump, twig or obstruction.
18. Grass Clipping:
It is essential to know how the lawnmower will handle the grass clippings before making its purchase. A few models spit these clipping back out to the lawn, whereas others come with a bag to collect or mulch the cut grass. Experts suggest you buy the mower depending on how your preference to handle the clippings, whether to stay at the back of your yard or mulch it to decompose quickly.
19. Cutting Blades:
The number of cutting blades to have in your mower will depend on your lawn size and grass type. For instance, if your yard has tough weed and high grass, then pick a mower with more than 1 cutting blade.
We notice most of the small lawn tractors come with a single blade, which is suitable for a small lawn with less grass. There are large lawn tractors with 2 – 3 blades that are ideal to mow thick grass or weed. In some cases, the mower with powerful engines will aid in good cutting performance even with a single blade.
20. Cruise Control:
Choosing a lawnmower with this superior cruise control feature will reduce the stress, which you felt while driving the mower. It works similarly as a transmission does for a car. With this feature, you can maintain a constant speed while mowing your yard.
21. Anti-Scalping Wheels:
The mower with anti-scalping wheels will provide better traction on the ground, especially useful while mowing on uneven terrain and driving up hills.
22. Turning Radius:
The turning radius of a mower will let the user know how tightly they can turn the mower. In case, if your lawn has so many obstacles or tight corners, then prefer to choose a mower with a small turning radius. This lets you make sharper turns and mow your yard effectively than a mower with a big turning radius.
23. Washout Port:
Regular cleaning of a riding lawn mower will help to maintain its efficiency and lifespan. For this, you have to check whether your mower deck can be cleaned easily or not. Most riding mowers have a nozzle, which let you attach the water hose to wash out the blade and other parts effectively without turning or getting under the mower.
24. Extra Attachments:
Some ride-on mower models will let you perform additional gardening maintenance such as ridging, mulching and edging by fitting some extra attachments to the mower. Also, a lawn tractor (a type of ride-on mower) will allow you to clear the snow in the driveway.
Summer attachments include sprayers, lawn striping tools, mower bags or dump carts. While winter attachments include snow blowers and snow plows. With these extra attachments, one can easily save time by performing other tasks like gathering leaves or planting new shrubs.
25. Comfort Features:
A mower with extra comfort features will allow you to use it for a longer time effectively and effortlessly. So, look for features such as extended leg room, high-back seat with lumbar support, cup holders, easy to access control panel and LED headlights to use while having low light conditions.
Most users’ complaint about pedals and shifters place and uncomfortable seat of the mower, which they realize after installed/assembled and used the unit. So, check it thoroughly before making its purchase.
26. Start Feature
Different riding lawn mower models come with different start options. Some of them can be started using a key, recoil and push start button. They don’t have any impact on the performance of the lawn mower. So, you have to choose based on your preference.
27. Lawn Size
Even if you purchase the best riding lawn mower in the market and yet it is not suitable for your yard then it is not a wise decision. So, consider the lawn size and how much time it takes to mow the yard. Based on this information, you can choose the mower that suits your requirement.
28. Mulching and Discharge
Mulching represents the ability to chop the grass into tiny pieces which can be collected in a bag or spread across the lawn to act as fertilizer. Discharge represents the procedure of spreading the grass clippings.
Low quality riding mowers will leave the grass clippings into big clumps. But high quality ones will chop them into fine bits and spread them evenly throughout your lawn. Some models come with mulching as additional feature and some don’t. Some models without this features can be still compatible with mulching kits where you don’t have to tiny grass pieces are collected into a bag. Before purchasing check whether the model you choose has this optional or if it compatible with mulching kit.
This is another important factor to consider while purchasing the lawn mower. In general terms, smaller the machine is, the easier it is to move around corners, structures and plants. This also means there will be less manual work after mowing. Commercial-sized wide cutting decked models are not capable of mowing in tight and narrow spaces.
If your yard has a lot of obstacles and trees, then smaller decks are suitable to mow around them. But if you have a large yard, then it can be time consuming. In such cases, zero turn lawn mowers are more effective and easy to maneuver. They come with control levels for steering which lets you steer 180 degree turn effortlessly.
30. Cutting Blade Speed
The blade speed is given in RPM or rounds per minute. Riding lawn mowers come with cutting blade speeds ranging from 1500 RPM to 2000 RPM. A riding lawn mower with a blade speed of 2000 RPM is considered to be the better option. A higher blade speed results in a smooth and even cut without any issues, even if the grass is very thick.
As lawn mowers are long term and expensive investment, it is better to go for well-known and trustworthy brands. Also make sure to read the reviews of customers about their after sales service and product quality before making the purchase.
The price of a ride-on mower depends on various factors like its type, blade size, horsepower, etc. So, to purchase a decent quality riding lawn mower, you have to spend at least $500. For instance, a low-end 14HP mower suits best to mow an acre will costs you around $1000 and above. Whereas, a small tractor with 18 – 24 HP will cost between $2500 – $4500 and a larger tractor will cost you up to $9000 or above.
Before purchasing any mechanical power tool like a riding lawn mower (which comes with a lot of moving parts), it’s essential to consider its warranty. So, you can purchase a mower that covers a warranty period of 2 years or more.
A few manufacturers provide a 4 years warranty yet have limited warranty. So, check the description and online reviews on the product before buying. Also, one should check with the customer service offered by the manufacturer.
Different Types of Riding Lawn Mower:
Based on their working principle, riding lawn mowers are categorized into four types – rear engine, front engine, zero turn and mulching mowers. A detail description of them is provided below. Read thoroughly to know which one suits your requirements.
1. Rear Engine Lawn Mowers
Among all the types, this one the most comfortable and easy to operate option. Rear engine lawn mowers are small units so they have narrow cutting width and small cutting decks which makes it easy to move. These machines don’t take much storage space and affordably priced as well. They are suitable for small yards or lawns that are less than ¾ acre. The main drawback of rear engine lawn motors is low horse power(14HP) which makes them very slow.
- Being small unit, it easily fits through gates
- Needs less storage space
- Better visibility as there is no engine at the front
- Less priced than all other types
- Accessory options are very limited
- Narrow cutting width (28 inches)
- Slow mowing speeds – 1.5 to 4.5mph
- Speed transmission through levers which means your hand off the wheel in order to adjust the speed.
2. Front Engine Lawn Mower (Tractor Mower)
They are also known as tractor lawn models. Compared to all other types, front engine lawn mowers are fast and durable. Heavy-duty transmissions and powerful engines (18 to 24HP) are used in the lawn mower. They are suitable for mowing large lawns and gardening tasks.
Cutting deck range of these mower ranges from 38 inches to 54 inches. Some of the lawn tractors are powerful enough to pull a garden cart loaded with gardening supplies. However, make sure the garden cart is not too heavy and larger than the lawn tractor itself. They are suitable for large lawns with 5 acres or more area.
- Deck options with 38 inches and above
- Uses hydrostatic transmission which lets you control speed by pedals. This is also the smoothest transmission type.
- With mowing speeds of 5.2mph, it cuts faster
- Most of them come with pressurized lubrication systems
- Compatible with most of the accessories
- Require large storage space
- As engine is installed at the front, it has less visibility
- Cannot handle ground engaging attachments that include tillers and cultivators
3. Zero-Radius/Zero Turn Mowers
These are the most expensive and high performance lawn mowers that are commonly used by professional landscapers and commercial lawn maintenance. Using them, you can easily mow around any obstacles (trees, fountains or others) as it can turn 360-degree radius. They come with 4 wheel steering system so, you can easily drive the zero turn mower.
With improved maneuverability and wide cutting width, it is easy to mow quickly even at higher speeds up to 8mph. Some of these models also come with side discharge and mulch grass cuttings. They are suitable for yards larger than 1 acre.
- Fun to ride
- Fast mowing speed
- Most maneuverable,
- Easy to mow closer to trees and gardens
- Can’t be used on hill that are too steep
- Come with only few attachments like cart or vacuum grass catcher
- Driving it will take some practice
- Expensive than other types
4. Mulching Mowers
Also known as waste reducing units and environmental friendly models. They are suitable for mowing gardens with grass that is not too high. These mowers cut the grass clippings into small pieces which decompose into the soil. It removes the need of fertilizing the yard. Using grass cutting as fertilizer is better than dumping it in a landfill. That is why is called as environmental model.
Safety Tips to Consider While Using a Riding Lawn Mower:
As per US Consumer Product Safety Commission, almost 80,000 injuries are directly related to unsafe gardening machinery operation. That is why, it is very important to take proper care while operating a riding lawn mower. Below, we have mentioned some safety tips for your reference. Follow them to prevent accidents and injuries.
- Every manufacturer provides an operator manual. Read it thoroughly before operating the lawn mower.
- Make sure to wear protective eye wear and a hat while mowing as grass clippings and debris can be flying around, even if you are sitting up on high ground.
- If possible, complete the mowing in daylight hours and when the grass is dry. Though some of the lawn mower come with LED headlights to mow in nights or low lighting conditions, it can hard to the mow when the grass is wet.
- Check your yard or property for any objects or debris like toys, small rocks or pebbles that are lying around on the ground. These objects can damage the mower when you mow over them.
- Make sure children and pets are away while you are mowing. Don’t let them near the mower when it is in use.
- Drive carefully. Make sure to check 3 to 4 feet ahead just like you would do while driving a car.
- While mowing difficult terrains like up hills or inclines, it is better to do that in an up and down pattern rather than cross or diagonally. If you mow across, then there is a chance of tipping over. In such case, you may not only get hurt from falling but also have a mover running around unattended. If you mow up and down, the work scenario that may happen is – the mower can stop or mow very slowly which much better than getting hurt.
- Turn off the mower completely when you have to open or close the gate. Never leave the mower in working condition when you are not around, even for few seconds.
- Before cleaning the cutting blades, turn off the mower first.
- Never try to repair or fix the mower while it is in working condition. If you don’t know how to repair, then get professional help.
- Always stay clear of a hot engine.
- If you are mowing hot weather for long periods, make sure to wear a hat and have a water bottle with you to stay hydrated.
- If you are unaware of how to remove mower blade, then hire a professional. Avoid doing it by yourself as there are so many ways to mess that up. For example, you may lose a hand if you unscrew the blade while the sparkplug is still in which can start the engine.
Benefits of Using Riding Lawn Mower:
Apart from reducing the effort of mowing your lawns, there are several advantages of investing a riding lawn mower. We have mentioned some of them below.
- With these machines, it is very easy to mow even large areas in less time.
- They come with electric starts and large fuel capacities so you can mow for longer time.
- They are easy to handle and operate. It is just like driving a toy car.
- Some lawn mowers come with adjustable cutting blades, you can cut the grass as you want.
- Compared to standard push models, it is easy to obtain replacement parts for riding mowers.
- Some riding mowers come with attachments for collecting clippings, leaf clean, mulching, spreading fertilizer.
- Few large or heavy-duty models come with plow attachments for snow removal, hauling wood or livestock.
- Zero turn models provide precision cuttings even in tight spaces, around tree or shrubs with ease.
How to Start a Riding Lawn Mower?
Stating a lawn mower isn’t actually a rocket science. Lawn movers come with electronic systems, smooth automatic transmission and powerful engine which let you start the engine within seconds.
In order to start the mower, first you have to adjust the height of cutting deck according to your requirement. In most of the lawn mower models, this adjustment can be done using control levers.
Now climb on the seat and turn on the machine using the start button or keys. Because of automatic transmission, you don’t have to deal with gears or clutch in order to change speeds. You can use foot pedal to increase or decrease the speed. Once, you have complete the mowing, just turn off the engine using key control or stop button.
What is the Best Rated Riding Lawn Mower Engine?
An ideal riding lawn mower comes with powerful engine that is reliable has enough power to achieve perfect cut. And moreover, it has to start without any hassle. Only high quality components should be used for the engine so that it lasts for years.
Among all the lawn mowers in the market, Briggs & Stratton engines have all these properties which makes them the best in the market. These engines are specially designed to deliver high quality performance without any issues.
With several engine types like v-twin and single cylinder, this brand can provide basic rides to full scale lawn tractors with optimum power to get job done every single time. Because of their reliability and performance, most of the other brands like Poulan and Husqvarna use the engines of B&S as their products.
What Can Prevent a Riding Lawn Mower From Starting?
There are several reasons that lead prevent the riding lawn from starting. We have mentioned some of the reasons below along with easy-to-fix methods.
- Disconnected, Dirty or Loose Spark Plug – Remove the plug from the mower and clean it thoroughly. If it is loose or disconnected, then reattach it properly.
- Blocked Air Filter – Remove the air filter and clean it thoroughly. If the build-up is too tough or stubborn, then you may have to replace it.
- Fuel not Reaching the Engine – Onto the side on carburettor, give a tap or knock to encourage the fuel flow.
If none of these methods work, then get professional help. If your mower is within warranty, then contact the customer service for free check-up and replacement.
Some Frequently Asked Questions:
Proper usage and periodic maintenance are essential for a riding lawn mower to enhance its lifespan and efficiency. So, here we are providing some tips to maintain the mower properly.
• Clean the mower to remove debris, which builds up in between the mowing sessions.
• Most mowers come with attachments on the deck for a hose to have power wash of the mower, especially inside the deck.
• You have to do periodic check and change the air filters to prevent your mower from getting clogged with debris.
• It is essential to change the oil regularly and replace the mower belts for effective and efficient working.
• Experts suggest you replace the spark plugs once a year for the best results.
Zero-turn riding lawn mowers are the best option for mowing your yard. It has impressive maneuverability and gets perfect turns between trees and even small spaces easily.
In general, a lawnmower is designed to mow your lawns/yards, while a lawn tractor is capable to perform other tasks like hauling, towing, etc. So, a lawn tractor has a powerful engine with more horsepower, a durable frame and a bit expensive too than a lawnmower.
The best way to store your riding lawn mower is to place it in your garage or a tool-shed, where it can accommodate its size properly. Most modern models have a weather-proof cover for storing them safely outdoors. In case, if you want to store the unit outside the shed or garage, then purchase a cover, which acts as an essential weather guard to prevent corrosion and damage to the mower from outside weather.
In general, a riding lawn mower can last for at least 1000 hours of use. How long your mower last will depend on your proper usage and regular maintenance. All you need is to replace the belt and other under the hood components occasionally. Most lawn mowers continue to serve you for at least 8 – 10 years but you have to make proper research before making this investment.
The size of your lawn and terrain (how hilly it is) will let you use a ride-on lawnmower rather than other types. The basic rule is that a riding lawn mower is the best option for those having a half-acre or more yard.
Also, an electric-model suits best for yards up to 1/2 acre, but need to have a powerful and rugged machine, especially having a larger yard. Whereas, gas-powered models suit perfectly for yards more than a 1/2 acre of land.
If you know all about engines and machine working, then you should not have any issues, and you can easily service the mower by yourself. All you need is to change the spark plugs and oil, and also clean the carburetor. In case, if you won’t have any prior experience on engines/motors, then simply consult a dealer for its service.
While mowing the lawn, one can find that they cut chunks out resulting in a bare patch in grass called scalp. This scalping results in uneven terrain and may leave the lawn appearing unsightly. To avoid scalping, you have to adjust the cutting deck height before you start the mowing process. So, choose a mower with an adjustable height cutting deck, which let you lower and raise the blades. Thus, it offers a clean cut without any scalping.
Most modern riding lawn mowers have an accessory kit that allows you to change the mower into a snowplow or snow blower to use in the winter. All you need is to check the best model with accessories, as per your requirement before making a purchase.
On an average, a garden lawn mower lasts for 10 years. They may last a bit longer if you take proper care and clean it regularly.
For 36 inches cutting deck, it takes about an hour to complete the mowing. For 48 inches cutting deck, it may take just 45 minutes. The time taken is actually at least half the amount of what it takes to do using a push mower.
The blades of the mower should be sharpened often so that it doesn’t lose its luster. The duration or interval of sharpening blades depends on several factors. If you have a high quality lawn mower, then you should sharpen its blades once in every 20 to 25 hours of usage. For example, you have a large yard with more than 1-acre area, then it takes around 45 minutes to 1 hour for mowing. So, you have to sharpen the blades after 26 mowing sessions.
The best time to buying a garden lawn mower is around September because many brands provide a lot of deal and discounts in that month.
It usually depends on the part that needs repairing, extent of the damage, life of the mower and reason of the repair. If we have to provide random average cost, you may have to play then it will be between $40 to $90. This number can also change based on the region you live in.
There are several brands in the market that are considered good and provide top-quality models. Cub Cadet, Poulan Pro, Craftsman, B&S, and Husqvarna provide the best riding lawn mowers.
Most of the people like lawn mowers with steering wheels as they provide good comfort and car-like driving experience. However, levers are considered more functional as they provide stability and mobility when you master it.
If you want an easy to use lawn mower for your backyard, then you can go with a riding lawn mower. These allow you to easily cut grass while riding your lawn mower since these are powered by a gas engine. Thus, you can find some of the best riding lawn mower options along with their major features and options. You can even find a detailed buying guide regarding riding lawn mowers in this article. It has all of the things that you need to learn about such lawn mowers.
- If you are on a budget, then you can go with the Snapper 291152BVE Classic riding lawn mower. It is one of the cheapest riding lawn mower options available out there. And even then, it is able to offer a decent cutting performance to the user. You get a 28 inch wide cutting deck in this lawn mower that is powered by its 344 cc engine. This engine generates 11.5 HP power and offers a 3-year warranty for durability.
- On the other hand, if you do not have any budget restrictions and want a highly powerful riding lawn mower, then you can go with the Husqvarna Z254 lawn mower. It is one of the most powerful options out there that comes with a cutting deck size of 54 inches. And this large cutting blade is powered by a highly powerful engine that offers 26 HP power with a max speed of 6.5 MPH. Husqvarna also offers a 3-year warranty with it.
- The Troy Blit riding lawn mower can be another great option if you are looking for value for money options. It has a 382 cc engine that generates 11.7 HP that is quite decent for its price. This engine powers a 30 inch wide cutting deck that is quite decent when compared with other budget options. You also get a 2-year warranty with this lawn mower, which is always great to have. It offers all of this for a very justified price tag.
Make sure to share your thoughts in the comments section. You can also post any questions down there if you have any!