A soldering iron is a basic and must-have machine in a DIY electronics enthusiast’s tool kit. While most of the conventional soldering machines are either soldering irons or soldering guns, nothing beats the convenience of having a wireless machine.
Cordless soldering irons have been a revolution in the DIY community. They are easy to use, handy, nifty and cost almost the same as a good quality soldering gun. In this article, we have curated some of the best cordless soldering iron guns that you can buy online. This list has been curated on the basis of the following factors.
- Source of Power: Cordless soldering irons are powered by batteries or butane powered. In butane, as the name suggests, you have a butane gas-based soldering gun which has high-temperature capacity but with it, a high price tag. A battery-powered is the best choice. Here too, you can choose between a replaceable battery or a rechargeable battery soldering gun. This choice is based on your preference.
- Run Time: The second most important thing that you would be considering is the total run time of the iron. Most modern cordless soldering irons have a run time of about 40 minutes or so. But high powered machines (butane ones) may even have higher.
- Accessories: Cordless soldering irons come with a few accessories as well. One of the most common accessories that they come with is the LED focus light. These aid in giving you a clear vision while you are soldering in dark rooms or to overcome light shadows.
Apart from these three, there are a few other factors that we have considered which are all included in the “Buying Guide” section of the article. Be sure to give that a read as well.
Now without any further ado, let us jump in and review the best Cordless Soldering Irons to buy online.
Best Cordless Soldering Irons
|Cordless Soldering Iron
|Type of Power Source
|Max Operating Temperature
|Weller Cordless Soldering Iron
|950 ° F
|Check On Amazon
|Tooluxe Cordless Soldering Iron
|Check On Amazon
|Lexivon Cordless Soldering Iron
|2400 ° F
|Check On Amazon
|Milwaukee Cordless Soldering Iron
|Check On Amazon
|Hakko Cordless Soldering Iron
|120 Minutes (60 minutes minimum)
|600 ° F
|Claims Lifetime Warranty
|Check On Amazon
5 Best Cordless Soldering Irons Reviews
First on our list is the Weller BL60MP, a cordless soldering iron that comes with a rechargeable lithium-ion battery from a reputed company of building soldering equipment since 1941. The tip of the soldering tip is a conical one.
With a compact design and a durable build, the soldering gun is ever ready for function. The lithium-ion battery packs a decent punch that gives you a full 45 minutes run time for a fully charged battery.
Putting things in a joint perspective, you can solder up to 1,100 joints using the full charge. The Handle of the soldering iron is ergonomic with its round and co-moulded design. This does not strain the palm of your hand while you are soldering using the gun.
At the bottom of the tip of the soldering iron, there is a tiny yet bright LED bulb that illuminates your work area thus giving you a great and focussed soldering joint.
The soldering iron can go up to a maximum of 510 degrees in centigrade (950 degrees Fahrenheit) in just about 35 seconds.
With impeccable reviews and ratings, the best part about the iron is that it comes with a massive 7 years manufacturer’s warranty from the date of purchase.
- Conical soldering tip
- Rechargeable battery with 45 minutes of run time
- Can run for about 1,100 joints on a full charge
- Tiny bright LED bulb for illuminating the workspace
- Can go up to 510 degrees centigrade in 35 seconds
- Ergonomic handle
- 7 years of warranty (but not for the battery)
- None too specific to mention
Second on our list is the Tooluxe 40420L, a cordless soldering iron with a very high-temperature capability and a neat ergonomic design.
Much like the Hakko model listed above, the Tooluxe 40420L is also battery operated. Running on 4 AA batteries, this portable soldering iron can pack a lot of heat unlike the Hakko model.
In its prime, the tool can give you a maximum of 565 degrees centigrade or 1050 degrees in Fahrenheit in just under 7 second of time.
There is a tiny LED bulb under the tip of the soldering iron. This produces an almost focussed beam of light that will illuminate your workspace for making better and conductive joints.
Great for small DIY projects and repairs, beginners would find this tool to be highly imperative in their tool box. The tip of the iron comes with a protective close cap that closes the tip and enables quick cool down as well.
- Replaceable batteries based Cordless Soldering Iron
- Can run on 4 AA batteries
- Has a maximum temperature of 1050 Degrees Fahrenheit in 7 seconds of time
- Small tiny LED focus bulb under the tip
- Protective cap
- No warranty
- No Proper mention of run time
- Could improve the overall product quality
LexiVon is the first butane based Soldering Iron machine on our list. This multipurpose device is cordless and comes in a kit format with ample accessories.
Self-igniting in nature, there is an electronic trigger by the side of the machine that aids in the self-ignition. The machine also has a flame locking button too thus satisfying the need to be a multipurpose nature.
For using the machine as a soldering iron, you can use the various tips that come within the kit for various joints to be made.
When it is not being used as a soldering iron, you can also adjust the flame of from ½ inch to
2 ½ inches size as well. The working temperature of this iron goes up to as high as 2400 degrees Fahrenheit to 1100 degrees Fahrenheit, highest for a normal battery-powered machine.
Speaking of the fuel tank, on a full butane tank, the machine can run up to 75 minutes in full and can be refilled in just 10 seconds. This gives you a large runway for work.
The kit comes with a 13 piece accessory set that ranges from scrub to remove the solder shred to even some pool of solder and also a few tiny wrenches, nut spanners as well. There is a protective cap included in the box as well.
Coupled with this, there is also a two year manufacturer’s warranty from the date of purchase which can be availed through the registration.
- Multifunctional Butane powered cordless soldering iron
- Neatly packed multi-utility box
- 75 Minutes of run time on a full tank of butane
- Can go up to 2400 degrees Fahrenheit
- 13 utility side accessories included in the package
- 2 years manufacturer’s warranty
- None too specific to mention
Next on our list is the M12 Redlink Soldering Iron Kit by the Milwaukee Electric Tools Corp. This kit stands as a ready to use cordless soldering machine.
With an ultra-fast heating time, the kit will reach the maximum heating temperature within a very small window of 18 seconds.
The tip of the soldering gun has a three-level stop pivoting head that gives you an unmatched soldering experience. This allows users to easily adapt to the use of the tool be it they are beginners or professional.
Its tip also has a heat indicator that will utilize redlink intelligence (proprietary to Milwaukee) to notify you when the tip is ready to use and also when the tip is cool enough to be stored away as well.
This tip is also tool-free changeable. This means that you can easily switch between chisels and pointed tips with great ease. On a full charge, the rechargeable battery gives you a full 40 minutes of runtime which is standard for these machines.
- Is an entire soldering kit than a simple gun
- 18 seconds to the optimal temperature
- Tool-free tip change
- Easy 3-way access
- 40 minutes run time on a full charge
- Redlink Intelligence for heat indication
- No warranty
Hakko’s Cordless Soldering iron has a very simple design and operation making it one of the easiest handled cordless soldering iron there is. The Hakko FX-901/P cordless soldering iron is more of a pen-sized machine that is great for small DIY projects.
Light in weight, the portable cordless soldering iron runs on replaceable batteries. All you need are 4 AA sized batteries (can be alkaline or nickel-metal hydride based). On a full charge, you can get a maximum of 120 minutes (2 hours) of run time.
Great for DIY projects and small household electronic repairs, the machine has an integrated on and off switch that comes with surge protection.
The composite soldering tip can be quickly changed and replaced too. It can maintain a soldering temperature that is as high as 600 Degrees Fahrenheit. While there is no definite duration of warranty but Hakko does mention a lifetime warranty which is not clear to be exact.
- Small pen-sized machine for DIY projects
- Runs on 4 AA batteries that can be replaced easily
- Has a total maximum of 120 minutes (2 hours) or run time
- Can handle a maximum temperature of 600 degrees in Fahrenheit
- Though the company claims a lifetime warranty, the exact duration is not clearly mentioned
- No Accessories included
- Could have had a higher operating temperature
Buying Guide: How To Pick The Right Cordless Soldering Iron Machine?
Given that a cordless Soldering Iron is a new machine, one could go on to pick a faulty machine and end up cursing the seller. But if you are to rightly checklist a few key factors, you would not be regretting your buying choice.
In this buying guide, we are going to talk about some of the key important factors that you would need to consider in order to be buying a good quality cordless soldering iron.
1. The Source Of Power
The first and foremost thing that you would be considering is the source of what would be fuelling the soldering iron. Basically, a cordless soldering iron is fuelled by two power sources.
- Butane and,
Butane is one of the most affordable fuel sources and is also one of the most preferred fuel types for professional heavy hitter DIY enthusiasts. But only people who have prior experience in handling butane machines are advised to buy a butane fuelled Cordless Soldering Iron as non-experienced personnel would not be able to handle the high heat and sparks that fly out. Also, these machines need constant refuelling.
One of the most common types of cordless soldering machines is battery powered. Here again, you have two choices to make.
- Disposable Batteries: Most of the Cordless Soldering Iron machines which run on disposable AA batteries. While a single set of batteries might give you about 1 or 2 hours of uninterrupted service, a few brands would give you higher service as well. While these are cheap, they might be a tad bit annoying as well.
- Rechargeable Batteries: Another choice that we have is a rechargeable battery set. This would require you to have an electrical outlet and the batteries would be lithium-ion. They would give you a limited power for a while before needing you to recharge again. While they may cost you a tad bit of good money, they will stick in your toolbox for the longer run. A few even come with a power level indicator as well.
2. Run Time
The next important thing that you need to consider is the running time of the machine. While corded machines can give you around the clock run time if they are plugged, the battery on a cordless machine is limited.
Run time of a cordless machine could range anywhere between 30 minutes to even a couple of hours as well. This again is dependent on the type of fuel that you use for the machine.
Butane based machines tend to hold and give you higher run time which could even go about for hours long too. But the hassle with a butane machine is that you need to constantly refill the machine every couple of days and as Butane gas is not readily available, it might cause some hassle.
Battery-powered cordless soldering machines on the other hand provide you with about 30 minutes of run time to an average of 1 or 2 hours but not longer than that. This again varies from battery type to battery type. Rechargeable batteries have a longer run time compared to a replaceable battery machine.
Most cordless soldering irons come with accessories tagged along with them. An LED focus light is one of the most common types of accessories that come with a cordless soldering gun. These highly focussed beams of light are great to provide light because table lights end up causing a shadow on the work area.
Some accessories may include free solder, a brush or some packages even come with extra batteries as well. Most of the time, you would prefer to have free soldering tips to your toolkit as well. Other types of added accessories may include spanners, wrenches, or brushes or other tools that might aid you in soldering.
Solder melts at a temperature that is just below 400 degrees centigrade. The iron you use should have a hotter operating temperature than this. This will give you a reasonable frame of time to create impacting and long-lasting joints with high conductivity. Try picking a cordless soldering iron that has a dial-based or other form of temperature regulation switch. This will let you tune the temperature up or down.
5. Ergonomics of the iron
Another important thing that you might want to consider are the ergonomics of holding the Cordless Soldering Iron or the Cordless Soldering Gun. Machines whose handles come with a groove that hold up your hand are much more comfortable to work with than the hard handle ones that are stick-like. A silicone handle is better and preferred too compared to a stick-like handle.
The last important factor that you might want to check out is the availability of a warranty window. You have to understand that not every small pen sized cordless soldering iron machine would have a large warranty window. A few might give you a year’s worth of warranty whereas a few would not give you any. But please make sure that if you are going for large Butane based or high price tagged machines, look for a warranty window.
Out of all the options available, the Weller Cordless Soldering iron makes it to the winning cut. It’s ergonomic design, the 45 minutes optimum run time, easy to use model, conical tip, high temperature solder, focus LED light and most important of all, a massive 7 year manufacturer’s warranty make it the Best Cordless Soldering Iron to buy online.
While those were our picks, we are equally interested in your choices and preferences. Did you like our list? Do you want us to add or remove anything in it? Or do you have any questions for us? If so, feel free to write to us in the comments section below and we will write back to you as soon as possible.