If you are a DIY electronics enthusiast or if you are a professional in electronics, you have to agree that you are as good as the tools you use. By now, you would have realized that a soldering Gun/soldering Iron is one of the tops and best-placed tool in your arsenal.
In this article today, we are going to list down and review some of the top and best available soldering guns to buy online. This list has been created and curated after detailed consideration of a few key factors. They include;
- Wattage Rating: The first and foremost thing that you need to check in a soldering iron or gun is the wattage rating. A good soldering iron would hold a rating between 20 and 50 watts. This is great for irons as it makes them controllable. But for Soldering guns, the rating is higher. It falls somewhere between 200 watts and 260 watts. Higher wattage will help you maintain a stable temperature while soldering and also tends to reheat very fast.
- Temperature control: The next important factor is the ability to control the temperature. Temperature control is a feature that basically is available for a soldering gun. Soldering irons do not have this feature and thus if you are someone with serious projects at hand, go with a gun,
- Replaceable soldering tips: Almost all of the soldering guns come with the ability to change the soldering tips from time to time. But some guns provide free change tips whereas a few don’t. Though they seem like freebies, they are actually valuable and the correct fit might not be available easily. Pick one that comes with free tips.
While these three are essential things to consider, they are definitely not the only ones. We have included a few more tips to consider in the “Buying Guide” section of the article, be sure to check them out as well.
Now let us jump in and review the best soldering guns available to buy online
Best Soldering Guns
|Weller D550PK Soldering Gun
|Check On Amazon
|Atd Tools Soldering Gun
|Check On Amazon
|Dorman Soldering Gun
|Check On Amazon
|Wall Lenk Soldering Gun
|Check On Amazon
|Weller D550 Soldering Gun
|Check On Amazon
5 Best Soldering Guns Reviews
First on our list is the Weller D550PK, a professional heavy soldering gun that is neatly packed away in a carry case. Rated one of the best soldering guns, this box comes with a temperature-controlled machine at an affordable price point.
- 200-watt setting professional soldering gun with a maximum switch of 260-watt power. The power can be controlled with the trigger adjustment at the fingertip. The fingertip trigger can let you control the high output or low output.
- Heats up very fast and swiftly in just under 6 seconds. Can heat up to a massive 1,100 degrees Fahrenheit
- Tin plated heavy gauge copper tips that are durable and very quick in transferring heat
- The gun comes with 2 front-facing, highly focussed and bright LED bulbs for torches. These aid in precise soldering and control over where you solder.
- Comfortable and soft grip on the pistol’s handle that let you perform soldering, smoothing and also cutting.
- A blow moulded plastic carry case.
- A D550PL Dual heat soldering gun
- 2 Wire cord
- A single coil of lead free solder
- Flux brush
- Three Tin plated copper tips
Warranty: Weller provides a massive lifetime of limited manufacturer’s warranty for 7 years from the date of purchase.
- Could improve the plastic quality a little bit
Next on our list is the ATD Tools 3740, an 8 piece dual holster heating soldering gun kit. This kit comes in a blow moulded case and has a maximum of 230 wattage heat.
- Dual metal heating soldering gun of a maximum 230 watts heat but also has a minimum of 150 wattages.
- Comes with 3 general-purpose chrome finish copper soldering tips for soldering, cutting and smoothing too.
- Comes with about 15 grams of lead free solder wire and a flux brush
- The handle has ergonomic grooves to it that makes holding the gun easier
- Hard or medium push to the trigger will regulate the output temperature
- Quick heating in just about 30 seconds initially but has quick reheat faster than that mid soldering
- Blow moulded durable plastic case
- Soldering Gun
- Comes with 3 general-purpose chrome finish soldering tips
- Includes a flux brush
- One roll of 15 grams of lead free soldering wire
Warranty: Comes with 1-year manufacturer’s warranty from the date of purchase
- Need to improve customer service
Next on our list is the Dorman 85369 is a budget friendly Soldering Gun Kit. Dorman is a 100 year old brand within the automotive industry and the 85369 is a mid level Soldering gun kit.
- Unlike most of the soldering guns in the list, the Dorman 85369 is a simple mid level soldering gun but has a universal fit to it.
- 100 Watts of instant heat in a few seconds of usage. The trigger can be pulled back for higher heat and low for lower heat
- Flux infused soldering gun unit.
- Has a spanner, additional tip and a single wound of soldering wire is also provided in the packaging.
- Comes with a separate cup of zinc chloride flux.
- Has a bright LED bulb that lights up the finite area of soldering but does not have a focussed beam unlike the other products in the list
- Also available in pencil tip and also gun held
Included in the kit
- 100 watts Soldering Gun Kit
- Zinc Chloride Flux
- Extra Soldering Tip
- Single roll of Soldering Pool
Warranty: Comes with a 1 year manufacturer’s warranty from the date of purchase.
- The bulb does not have a focus of light like most of the soldering guns
- Needs to improve the build quality and overall reliability
Next on our list is a classic pistol shaped retro looking soldering gun. The Wall Lenk WG992KCS is a high end and heavy duty soldering gun. It has a very high wattage quick heat and also a substantial wattage heated tip maintaining temperature too.
- Dual wattage elements with 200 watts of quick heating of the tip in just a few seconds. Lower wattage of 110 watts to maintain the high temperature during reheat
- Can control the output heat with the trigger that is both instant and easy to control.
- Tip temperature range of a maximum 1,130 degrees in fahrenheit that is heavy duty
- Features a one inch large fully illuminating light for focussed working
- TE Assemblies that can be changed with new tips
- Real pistol fashioned holding with a trigger by its side
- Soldering gun
- 1 TE additional assembly elements
Warranty: 5 years of warranty from any manufacturer’s defects from the date of purchase
- Could have had an ergonomic handle for easier usage
Finally on our list, the Apex D550 is a dual heating professional soldering gun that is German built and bears with it an international grade.
- Imported quality Soldering Gun built in Germany
- Built to last with a highly sturdy body for professional and high profile DIY jobs.
- Maximum heat wattage 260 watts for startup heat heating and a low of 200 watts for normal instant heating
- Heats up ready to use in just 6 seconds of time
- The trigger can be pressed high or low for heavy duty or low duty works
- Dual heat Soldering Gun
Warranty: The company provides you with a 7 year lifetime warranty from the date of purchase
- Could improve the plastic used for less odour
Buying Guide: How To Choose The Best Soldering Gun?
In this buying guide, we are going to discuss, list down and review all the factors that are you need to consider before purchasing a soldering gun.
Soldering Gun vs Soldering Iron
One of the major problems with the beginners in DIY electronics communities is that they do not know the difference between a soldering iron and a soldering gun. They end up either buying one which will not be helpful to their projects.
A soldering iron is a simple wand/pencil-like instrument to braze two elements together using melted solder metal. The want tends to heat up when it receives electric energy through an outlet. These are simple to use and are very economically priced as well but they do not have any settings.
A soldering gun, as the name says, is a gun-shaped power tool that lets you heat up the solder and braze up two different joints using the melting of metal. Soldering guns have a higher heating capacity, greater control of temperature, quick to reheat and come with a lot of additional features such as LED torches for a defined soldering line and much more. But they may be a little more expensive compared to the soldering iron pencil wand.
Factors to consider while buying a Soldering Gun
The following are some of the important factors to consider while buying a Soldering Gun
1. Wattage Rating
One of the most important things to consider is the wattage rating of the soldering gun. Here, wattage rating differs between a soldering gun and a soldering iron.
A soldering iron wand would be coming with a wattage rating between the range of 20 watts and 50 watts. This is enough wattage that lets you hold and use a soldering iron.
A soldering gun, on the other hand, has a massive wattage rating between 200 watts and 260 watts. Larger the wattage, higher is the ability to maintain high temperatures while soldering. Also, high wattage soldering guns tend to reheat very fast and efficiently.
2. Temperature Control
As we have mentioned how greater wattage gives you higher temperature ratings, it is important to know how controllable this temperature is.
Please note that only soldering guns come with temperature control features but not soldering irons. Soldering irons are basically for small-time DIY projects whereas Soldering Guns are more professional and a bit expensive too for that matter.
The temperature control in a soldering gun lets you control the temperature at which you are heating up the solder on the tips. This can be through the trigger or through some other knob set up. This brings us to the next important thing.
3. Replaceable soldering tips
The constant heating of a soldering gun would blacken out or sometimes cause the tip of the soldering gun or even the soldering wand become brittle and ineffective. Often, they tend to lose their heat conduction capacity and in such cases, they would need a replacement of the soldering tips.
Every soldering gun and soldering wand can have its tips be replaced. But sometimes, you might have an issue of the correct fit. Thus to avoid such debacles, it is wise that you pick a Soldering kit that comes with a free set of replaceable soldering tips.
4. The kit
Soldering guns tend to come in sets of kits that are basically boxes which can place all the equipment related to soldering. While most of the boxes come with all the setup, (the soldering gun, holsters for the tips, extra set of tips, some solder, small clean up cloth etc.,
It also comes with other inclusions such as a flux brush tool that lets you clean the soldering spot off from any residues.
A few of these kits may not come with all the armada of tools, but these boxes do come with empty spaces as slots to store these things. They may not have the tools but they sure come at a little bit convenient price tags.
Another touch that these soldering guns have is a torchlight. These are more bright and focused LED bulbs that are placed right below.
Most of the time, your hand or the gun itself might cast a shadow on the point of soldering. As soldering points are small and precise, your inability to see them due to the casted shadows might cost you a lot. These bulbs act as a torchlight and focussed beams allow you to work under dark conditions as well. Highly useful and nifty
Though they seem like small pieces of plastic blended into metal, Soldering guns come with a really good warranty window. While top tier products can also offer you warranty windows ranging from 5 or 7 years too, a minimum of 1-year warranty does not go out of place for most mid-level brands.
Of all the products in the list, the Weller D550PK soldering gun wins being the best soldering gun on our list. It comes with a maximum 260 watts and 200 watts heating capacity, trigger adjustment, 2 focus beam LED lights, accessories and a large box along with a 7 year warranty from the date of manufacturing make it one of the best rated and best soldering guns available to buy.
While that was our list, we are intrigued as to what you are thinking. Did you like our list? Do you want us to add or remove something? Or is it that you have any questions about the products or for us? If so, feel free to write to us in the comments section below. Our team will write back to you as soon possible.