The best 8-inch subwoofer combines compact size with deep bass, offering an impressive audio experience without occupying too much space. Ideal for smaller rooms or vehicles, these subwoofers deliver clear, powerful bass that enhances music, movies, and gaming. They are perfect for audiophiles seeking a balance between performance and size. With various models available, the top 8-inch subwoofers feature advanced technology for efficient power handling, durability, and seamless integration into any audio system. Three key factors played a pivotal role in our evaluation process:
- Power Rating: The power rating indicates how much power a subwoofer can handle without distorting the sound. We selected subwoofers that offer a balance of power handling and efficiency, ensuring they can deliver impactful bass without needing excessive amplification.
- Frequency Response: This factor measures the range of frequencies a subwoofer can reproduce. Our chosen subwoofers boast a wide frequency response, allowing them to produce both the deep rumbles and the subtle nuances of bass, providing a full-bodied audio experience.
- Impedance: Impedance affects the subwoofer’s compatibility with amplifiers. We’ve included subwoofers with varying impedance levels, ensuring they can integrate seamlessly with different audio systems while optimizing power efficiency and performance.
This article explores the top 8-inch subwoofers, perfect for car installations due to their compact size and powerful output. With various models differing in power, size, and frequency response, we’ve curated the best options for you. Additionally, our “Buying Guide” offers insights into essential subwoofer features.
- Best 8 Inch Subwoofer Table List
- Best 8 Inch Subwoofer Reviews
- Buying Guide For The Best 8 Inch Subwoofer
- 8 Inch Subwoofer FAQS
Best 8 Inch Subwoofer Table List
|8 Inch Subwoofer
|Maximum Power Rating
|Pyle Car 8 Inch Subwoofer
|Check On Amazon
|BOSS Audio 8 Inch Subwoofer
|Check On Amazon
|Planet Audio 8 Inch Subwoofer
|23 Hz – 3 kHz
|Check On Amazon
|Rockville 8 Inch Subwoofer
|44Hz - 1.5kHz
|Check On Amazon
|MB Quart 8 Inch Subwoofer
|Check On Amazon
|Skar 8 Inch Subwoofer
|Check On Amazon
|Blaupunkt 8 Inch Subwoofer
|45Hz – 2KHz
|Check On Amazon
|Sound Storm 8 Inch Subwoofer
|Resonant frequency: 58 Hz Port frequency: 423 kHz
|Check On Amazon
|KICKER 8 Inch Subwoofer
|Check On Amazon
|CT Sounds 8 Inch Subwoofer
|Check On Amazon
Best 8 Inch Subwoofer Reviews
While many options exist for enhancing your car’s audio system, the Pyle Car Subwoofer Audio Speaker distinguishes itself as an affordable yet high-performing choice. Delivering a robust 400-watt RMS to 800-watt peak power, this subwoofer ensures not just good sound but a deeply resonant musical experience.
Its dual 4 Ohm impedance and 1.5″ 4-layer voice coil promise versatility and durability, while features like the non-pressed paper cone and specially treated foam surround ensure both longevity and quality output. Elevate your car audio effortlessly with this reliable addition to your setup.
- Power Handling: 400 Watt RMS / 800 Watt Max
- Sensitivity (SPL): 89dB
- Impedance: Dual 4 Ohm
- Voice Coil: 1.5″ 4-Layer
- Cone Material: Non-Pressed Paper
- Surround Material: Specially Treated Foam
- Magnet: 40 Oz
- Mounting Depth: 3.7”
- Overall Diameter: 8.2″
- Basket: Black Plastic
- Connectivity: Wired, Spring Loaded Push Down Speaker Terminals
- High power handling capacity for louder sound
- Dual voice coil for flexible wiring options
- Durable construction with specially treated foam surround
- Easy installation suitable for a variety of vehicles
- Shorter lifespan under heavy use
Transitioning to another stellar option, the BOSS Audio Systems CXX8 8-inch Car Subwoofer offers exceptional sound quality and durability. Engineered with a resilient polypropylene cone and a sturdy rubber surround, this subwoofer is built to withstand the rigors of car audio environments.
Its stamped basket design further enhances sound clarity, while features like a resonant frequency of 49 Hz and a sensitivity SPL of 83 dB ensure an optimal balance of bass response and efficiency. Backed by a 3-year platinum online dealer warranty, this subwoofer exemplifies BOSS Audio Systems’ commitment to quality and customer satisfaction.
- Power Handling: 600 Watts Maximum
- Impedance: Single 4 Ohm
- Voice Coil: High-temperature endurance
- Cone Material: Polypropylene
- Surround Material: Rubber
- Basket: Stamped
- Resonant Frequency: 49 Hz
- Sensitivity SPL (1W/1m): 83 Db
- Dimensions: 8.25” x 8.25” x 4.3”
- Mounting Depth: 3.78-inches
- Connectivity: Wired
- Robust and durable design for long-lasting performance
- High sensitivity for efficient power use and louder output
- Flexible installation options suitable for various vehicle types
- 3-year warranty provides added peace of mind and reliability
- Distortion at higher volumes
For those craving powerful bass performance, the Planet Audio AC8D 8-inch Car Subwoofer is a standout choice. With a maximum power handling capacity of 1200 watts and dual 4 Ohm voice coils, this subwoofer delivers intense sound performance while maintaining durability and longevity.
The foam surround and stamped basket construction contribute to both flexibility and durability, ensuring a longer lifespan and impressive sound clarity. With a resonant frequency of 39 Hz and a sensitivity of 85 dB, the AC8D strikes an impressive balance between power and quality, making it an ideal choice for car audio enthusiasts.
- Power Handling (Peak): 1200 Watts
- Impedance: Dual 4 Ohm Voice Coils
- Sensitivity (1 Watt/1 Meter): 85dB
- Cone Material: Polypropylene
- Surround Material: Foam
- Basket: Stamped
- Resonant Frequency: 39 Hz
- Dimensions: Depth 9” x Width 9” x Height 4.5”
- Voice Coil: High-temperature resistance
- Mounting Depth: 5-3/8″
- Frequency Response: 23 Hz – 3 kHz
- High power handling for deep and powerful bass
- Durable construction materials for a longer lifespan
- Flexible wiring options due to dual voice coils
- Efficient cooling system prevents overheating
- May require a break-in period for optimal performance
Now, when it comes to domain of raw power and quality, the Rockville W8K6D4 V2 with its 1400 watts of peak power and 350 watts RMS is one of the best options available on the market. Crafted with dual 4-ohm subwoofers wound with Oxygen-Free Copper wire, it ensures efficient electrical conductivity and superior sound quality.
Engineered for deep, impactful bass, it features an ultra-stiff paper cone and reinforced surround, guaranteeing minimal distortion even at high volumes. With its versatile design and emphasis on durability, it’s a compelling choice for those seeking both power and performance in their car audio setup.
- Peak Power Handling: 1400 Watts
- RMS Power Handling: 350 Watts
- Voice Coil: 2″ 4-Layer (Black Aluminum Former Wound with OFC Copper Wire)
- Magnet: Double Stacked 70 Oz
- Basket: Cast Aluminum with Black Sanded Finish
- Cone: Black Non-Pressed Paper
- Impedance: Dual 4-Ohm Voice Coils
- Frequency Response: 44Hz – 1.5kHz
- Sensitivity: 83.4dB
- Mounting Depth: 4.13 inches
- Recommended Enclosure Volume: Sealed 0.21-0.6 Cubic Feet, Vented 0.35-1.0 Cubic Feet
- High power handling for dynamic sound performance
- Durable construction materials for long-lasting use
- Flexible installation options with recommended enclosure volumes
- Efficient heat dissipation mechanism for reliability
- Some users experienced difficulty matching the subwoofer’s impedance with their amplifiers
The MB Quart DS1-204 Discus Shallow Mount Subwoofer stands out for its sleek design and powerful bass output, making it a favorite among car audio enthusiasts looking to maximize sound quality without sacrificing space. With a depth of under 3 inches, this subwoofer easily fits into compact car interiors, delivering rich bass that defies its slim profile.
Its innovative venting system ensures efficient cooling, prolonging its lifespan while maintaining peak performance. Built with durability in mind, it features a robust steel basket and a high-temperature voice coil, guaranteeing resilience even in challenging conditions. Installation is a breeze with corrosion-resistant terminals, making it a practical and reliable choice for discerning consumers.
- Power Handling: 400 Watt Peak / 200 Watt RMS
- Impedance: 4 Ohms
- Voice Coils: Dual 2-inch
- Sensitivity: 81dB
- Mounting Depth: 2.80 inches
- Cone Material: Thermal formed PP cone & dust cap
- Surround Material: UV rubber
- Basket: Heavy gauge powder-coated stamped steel
- Cut-Out Diameter: 7.24 inches
- Warranty: 1 Year
- Shallow mount design allows for versatile installation options
- Deep bass production in a compact form factor
- Durable construction materials ensure longevity
- UV resistant surround material maintains flexibility and appearance
- The subwoofer failing shortly after the warranty period
For those seeking a blend of robust bass and reliability in their car audio setup, the Skar Audio IX-8 D4 emerges as another top contender. Engineered with a dual 4-ohm voice coil, this 8-inch subwoofer delivers powerful sound without compromise. Its high-temperature copper voice coil and ferrite magnet motor ensure exceptional performance over extended periods, while its advanced cooling system maintains optimal operating conditions.
When it comes to durability, it features a competition-grade cone and foam surround, making it ideal for daily use. Whether you’re a casual listener or a dedicated audiophile, the IX-8 D4 offers the perfect balance of performance and longevity, elevating your driving experience with its punchy bass and reliable construction.
- Voice Coil Configuration: Dual 4 Ohm
- Peak Power: 150 Watts
- RMS Power: 300 Watts
- Cone Material: Competition Grade Pressed Paper
- Surround Material: Stitched High Roll Foam
- Cooling System: Advanced Air Flow
- Voice Coil Size: 2″ High Temperature Copper
- Motor Weight: 30 oz
- Frequency Response: 30-350 Hz
- Sensitivity: 82.6 dB
- Mounting Depth: 4.17″
- Cut-out Diameter: 7.17″
- High efficiency and reliable performance
- Versatile application with punchy and responsive bass
- Durable construction with advanced cooling for prolonged use
- Easy installation with a compact design suitable for various settings
- Lower power handling may not satisfy all power seekers
The Blaupunkt GBW801 8-Inch Single Voice Coil Subwoofer is designed to enhance your car stereo with its impressive power handling and superior sound quality. With a maximum power capacity of 400 watts, this subwoofer delivers deep, impactful bass that brings your music to life.
Its aluminum voice coil and high-density foam surround ensure clear, distortion-free sound reproduction. Backed by over 90 years of innovation, Blaupunkt’s legacy shines through in the GBW801, offering a reliable and durable solution for upgrading your car’s audio system. Whether you’re cruising down the highway or stuck in traffic, this subwoofer ensures every beat is felt with precision and clarity.
- Type: 8″ Single Voice Coil Subwoofer
- Power Output (Peak): 400 Watts
- Power Output (RMS): 200 Watts
- Cone Material: High-Quality Polypropylene
- Surround Material: High-Density Foam
- Voice Coil: 2” High-Temperature Aluminum
- Frequency Response: 45Hz – 2KHz
- Impedance: 4 Ohm
- Sensitivity: 88dB, 1W/M
- Mounting Depth: Custom fit for most car models
- Robust construction ensures durability and longevity
- High-density foam surround for minimal vibration and clear sound
- Efficient power handling for deep and powerful bass output
- Easy installation in a variety of car models due to compact design
- The bass output less than expected for their setup
Setting the bar for performance and durability, the Sound Storm Car Subwoofer is a standout choice for those who demand the best from their vehicle’s audio system. Crafted from polyurethane, its cone offers resilience and longevity, ensuring consistent sound quality even in challenging environments.
The dual voice coils optimize power output, while the foam surround allows for greater excursion and deeper bass production. Designed to withstand high temperatures, its stamped basket effectively dissipates heat, maintaining optimal performance levels. Backed by a 3-year warranty, this subwoofer offers peace of mind and unparalleled performance for discerning audiophiles.
- Cone Material: Polyurethane
- Voice Coil: Dual 4 Ohm
- Surround: Foam
- Basket: Stamped
- Resonant Frequency: 58 Hz
- Sensitivity: 87 Db
- Impedance: 4 Ohms
- Mounting Depth: 3.75”
- Dimensions: 8.5” x 8.5” x 4”
- Power Handling: 800 Watts
- Cooling System: Advanced design for extended play
- Warranty: 3-year platinum
- Robust construction ensures long-lasting performance
- Dual voice coils offer flexible wiring options and efficient power use
- Foam surround and polyurethane cone contribute to superior sound quality
- Excellent warranty period for added peace of mind
- Internal wiring issues affecting performance
The KICKER 8″ Subwoofer sets the standard for exceptional bass response and durability in car audio. Featuring a double-stacked magnet and a full-coverage steel basket, this subwoofer delivers powerful, distortion-free bass that enhances any music genre. Its Santoprene surround ensures maximum excursion while maintaining reliability, guaranteeing years of consistent performance.
With injection-molded polypropylene construction, it combines durability with unbeatable sound fidelity, making it a favorite among car audio enthusiasts. Plus, with Forced-Air Cooling technology, this subwoofer runs cooler for longer, ensuring reliable performance even in the most demanding conditions.
- Diameter: 8-inches (20cm)
- Impedance: DVC 2-ohm
- RMS Power Handling: 300 Watts
- Peak Power Handling: Not specified
- Surround Material: Ribbed Santoprene
- Cone Material: Injection-molded polypropylene
- Cooling Technology: Forced-Air Cooling
- Voice Coil: Dual, for flexible wiring options
- Basket: Full-Coverage Steel
- Magnet: Double-Stacked
- Deep and powerful bass response enhances music listening experience.
- Durable construction materials ensure longevity and reliability.
- Forced-Air Cooling technology keeps the subwoofer running cooler for longer.
- Dual voice coil configuration allows for versatile wiring options.
- May require a significant power source to reach full potential.
The CT Sounds TROPO-8-D2 is an impressive 8-inch car subwoofer, known for its For audiophiles seeking unparalleled sound quality and performance in their car audio system, the CT Sounds TROPO-8-D2 delivers on all fronts. With its robust power handling and innovative design, this subwoofer promises to elevate your listening experience with deep, impactful bass.
Featuring a dual 2 Ohm voice coil setup, it offers flexibility in wiring configurations while maximizing amplifier efficiency. Crafted with premium materials like carbon fiber-reinforced cones and chrome-plated iron bottom plates, it combines durability with style, ensuring long-lasting performance and reliability. Whether you’re cruising around town or hitting the open road, the TROPO-8-D2 delivers exceptional sound quality that will impress even the most discerning audiophiles.
- RMS Power: 400 Watts
- Max Power: 800 Watts
- Coil Configuration: Dual 2 Ohm
- Voice Coil: 2 Inch – 4 Layer High-Temperature Copper
- Cone: 3% Carbon Fiber Reinforced
- Surround: Flexible High Foam
- Cooling System: Advanced Air
- Bottom Plate: Signature Chrome Plated Low Carbon Iron
- Tinsel Leads: Dual Round Weaved Copper
- Terminals: 12 Gauge Push
- Powerful RMS and max power handling for deep bass
- Dual voice coil for versatile wiring and improved efficiency
- Advanced cooling system prevents overheating, ensuring durability
- High-quality construction materials for superior sound and longevity
- May require careful installation to maximize performance
Buying Guide For The Best 8 Inch Subwoofer
1. Power Rating
Why It Matters: The power rating of a subwoofer, measured in watts, indicates how much electrical power the subwoofer can handle and produce as sound. It’s divided into two main categories: RMS (Root Mean Square) and Peak Power. RMS power gives you an idea of the continuous power the subwoofer can handle without experiencing damage, while Peak Power indicates the maximum power it can handle in short bursts. A higher power rating often means the subwoofer can deliver louder and more dynamic bass.
What to Look For: Look for a subwoofer with a power rating that matches or exceeds the output of your amplifier or receiver. Pay more attention to the RMS power rating than the Peak Power, as it’s a more realistic measure of the subwoofer’s performance. An 8-inch subwoofer with an RMS rating of 100-300 watts is generally sufficient for most home and car audio systems.
2. Frequency Response
Why It Matters: Frequency response measures the range of sound frequencies the subwoofer can reproduce, typically given in Hz (hertz). It indicates how low and how high the subwoofer can play. For subwoofers, the lower end of the frequency response is more relevant, as their primary role is to reproduce low-frequency sounds (bass). A wider frequency response range means the subwoofer can produce a fuller and more detailed bass.
What to Look For: Ideal 8-inch subwoofers should have a lower frequency limit of around 20-30Hz to ensure deep bass performance. The upper limit is less critical, as higher frequencies are handled by other speakers in a system. However, a subwoofer that can reach up to 200Hz might blend better with satellite speakers, creating a smoother transition between high and low frequencies.
Why It Matters: Impedance, measured in ohms, represents the electrical resistance of the subwoofer’s voice coil to the power supplied by the amplifier. It plays a critical role in the compatibility between the subwoofer and the amplifier. Most subwoofers are rated at 4 ohms, but 2-ohm and 8-ohm models are also common. Matching the subwoofer’s impedance with the amplifier ensures efficient power usage and optimal performance.
What to Look For: It’s essential to choose a subwoofer whose impedance matches that of your amplifier to avoid any strain or damage. If your amplifier is designed to drive a 4-ohm load, select a subwoofer with the same impedance rating. Some subwoofers offer multiple voice coils (dual voice coil, for example), providing more flexibility in wiring and making it easier to match the amplifier’s impedance requirements.
4. Voice Coil
Why It Matters: The voice coil is the component within the subwoofer that interacts with the magnetic field to produce sound. Its design, including size and type, significantly affects the subwoofer’s power handling, cooling capabilities, and durability. Voice coils can be single or dual, with dual voice coil (DVC) subwoofers offering more wiring flexibility, which can be advantageous for optimizing your system’s impedance.
What to Look For: Consider the voice coil’s diameter and winding material. A larger diameter (e.g., 2 inches or more) generally means better power handling and heat dissipation. Copper is a common winding material, but aluminum or copper-clad aluminum can offer superior cooling. For those seeking flexible wiring options, a DVC subwoofer might be the best choice.
Why It Matters: Sensitivity, measured in decibels (dB), indicates the efficiency with which a subwoofer converts power into sound. A higher sensitivity rating means the subwoofer can produce more sound (volume) from the same amount of amplifier power. This can be particularly important in setups where the amplifier power is limited, as a more sensitive subwoofer will deliver louder bass without requiring a high-powered amp.
What to Look For: Look for a subwoofer with a sensitivity rating of at least 85dB. However, subwoofers with ratings of 90dB or higher are considered highly efficient and can make the most of your amplifier’s power. Remember, a difference of 3dB in sensitivity can effectively double the perceived volume from the same power input.
6. Cone Material
Why It Matters: The material of the subwoofer’s cone plays a crucial role in its sound quality and durability. It needs to be light enough to move quickly but rigid enough to avoid distortion under high power. The cone’s material can also affect the subwoofer’s overall sound character, with different materials imparting subtle nuances to the bass.
What to Look For: Look for materials that combine lightness and strength. Polypropylene is a popular choice for its mix of flexibility and durability. Composites or blends with materials like mica or aluminum can offer enhanced stiffness and water resistance, which is especially beneficial for car audio systems. For those prioritizing sound quality, consider woven fabrics or specialized materials like Kevlar, which provide excellent damping properties and reduce distortion.
8 Inch Subwoofer FAQS
Ans: Well, it depends on what type of music you listen to and more importantly, how big your car is. If you are talking about a standard commercial car, then an 8 inch subwoofer can easily offer a loud and strong output which is more than enough. However, it may not be sufficient for large cars. Also, the overall power capacity of the subwoofer depends upon many different factors such as its sensitivity, power output rating, and frequency response apart from the physical size.
Ans: When it comes to installation, an 8 inches subwoofer is probably the best option. Compared to many other popular options on the market, an 8 inches subwoofer is relatively easier to install since it only needs about .35 cubic feet of installation space. However, the necessary installation space may vary depending on the enclosure of the subwoofer you are buying.
Ans: Larger speakers certainly have the advantage of a powerful sound output capacity, or a stronger bass output since we are talking about subwoofers. So, a 10 inch subwoofer is certainly going to be more powerful than a 8 inch one. But, you also need to consider some other factors such as the power rating of the speaker. For example, you may find a 1200 Watt 8 inch subwoofer more enjoyable than a 600 Watt 10 inches model.
Choosing the best 8-inch subwoofer depends on your priorities and budget. Here are three top contenders, each catering to different needs:
- BOSS Audio 8 Inch Subwoofer: This subwoofer packs a punch at an affordable price. Its 600-watt peak power and single 4-ohm voice coil offer easy installation and decent bass response for budget-conscious buyers.
- Rockville 8 Inch Subwoofer: This subwoofer boasts a impressive 1400-watt peak power and dual 4-ohm voice coils for versatile wiring options. Its 350-watt RMS power delivers deep, powerful bass, ideal for those seeking a significant audio upgrade.
- MB Quart 8 Inch Subwoofer: This shallow-mount subwoofer is perfect for tight spaces. Its 400-watt power and 2-inch voice coils deliver surprisingly good bass response without sacrificing cargo space.
Remember, these are just a few options. Consider factors like your budget, desired sound quality, available space, and preferred features when making your final decision.