Searching for the finest wood-burning stoves to keep your home snug and inviting throughout the chillier seasons?
A wood-burning stove isn’t just a practical heating solution; it’s a timeless addition to any household, offering warmth, ambiance, and often, cost-effectiveness. Whether your space is small or average-sized, these stoves are perfectly suited, boasting power, energy efficiency, and cleaner burning rates.
Our curated list covers both traditional and contemporary designs, ensuring there’s something for every preference. As you explore your options, consider three key factors:
- Heat Output – Determines the stove’s heating capacity in BTU.
- Heating Area – Indicates the space it can efficiently warm
- Heating Efficiency – Crucial for optimal warmth with minimal wood consumption. The one with the higher rating is eco-friendly and cost-effective.
To aid in your decision-making process, we’ve prepared a detailed “Buying Guide” along with our top Wood Burning Stove recommendations. Let’s dive in and discover the perfect wood-burning stove to elevate your home’s comfort and ambiance.
Best Wood Burning Stoves
|Wood Burning Stove
|Guide Gear Wood Burning Stove
|400 - 500 Square Feet
|Check On Amazon
|Cam Chef Wood Burning Stove
|80 Square Feet
|Check On Amazon
|US Stove Wood Burning Stove
|137.6 Square Feet
|Check On Amazon
|Pleasant Hearth Wood Burning Stove
|1000 Square Feet
|Check On Amazon
|UNDUSLUY Wood Burning Stove
|80 Square Feet
|Check On Amazon
|Ashley Hearth Wood Burning Stove
|1200 Square Feet
|Check On Amazon
Top 6 Wood Burning Stoves Reviews
Selecting the right wood stove can not only enhance warmth but also reduce fuel usage. Explore these options to find the perfect fit for your heating needs and preferences.
The Guide Gear wood burning stove combines cast iron and galvanized steel for long-lasting performance. It stands at 20 inches in diameter, 11 inches in width, and 13 inches in height, weighing 42.4 pounds, offering both portability and durability.
Featuring a galvanized steel firebox and a cast iron front door with air vent holes, it efficiently heats and cooks. Its collapsible design and detachable legs simplify setup and storage, making it ideal for outdoor activities like camping, hiking, and fishing. For best results, use dry or seasoned wood, manage airflow by keeping vents open, and avoid overloading the firebox.
- Durable build quality constructed from cast iron and galvanized steel.
- Portable design with detachable legs and collapsible interlocking stove pipes.
- Versatile functionality for heating, cooking, and boiling water outdoors.
- Efficient heating performance with minimal wood consumption.
- Convenient top platform for keeping pots and pans hot during cooking.
- Airflow control through the front door’s air vent holes for temperature regulation.
- Simple assembly and lighting process for ease of use.
- Consistent heating output with minimal wood usage for efficiency.
- Collapsible design for effortless storage and transportation.
- Multi-purpose functionality allows for cooking, heating, and boiling water.
- Reliable performance and durability for long-lasting outdoor adventures.
- Heavy weight (42.4 pounds) making it heavy for extended hiking trips.
- Safety concerns regarding the hot stove pipes, requiring careful handling.
Designed for rugged outdoor adventures, the Camp Chef Alpine Heavy-Duty Cylinder Stove is your reliable companion. This stove is constructed from sturdy alloy steel construction with dimensions of 24″L x 20″W x 22.5″H, providing reliable heating and cooking capabilities. The wide form shelf and adjustable legs ensure stability on uneven ground, while the 5″ diameter chimney pipe offers effective smoke ventilation.
With its comprehensive package including a damper, log grate, spark arrestor, and accessory shelves, the setup is hassle-free, making it ideal for camping, hunting, and more. Its 73-pound weight offers stability and efficiency for heating large tents or outdoor spaces.
- Robust alloy steel construction for durability and reliability.
- Wide-form shelf/drying rack for additional storage and drying space.
- Adjustable legs for stability on uneven terrain.
- 5″ diameter chimney pipe for efficient smoke ventilation.
- Wire spark arrestor for added safety during use.
- Fire grate in the bottom to protect the base from overheating.
- Compact design with nesting pipe for easy storage and transportation
- Versatile tuning options for improved performance in various conditions.
- Complete package with all essential components for easy setup
- Spacious cooktop and door damper for precise heat control
- Excellent compatibility with a wide range of outdoor activities.
- Budget-friendly option without compromising on quality or performance.
- Backed by a 6-year manufacturer warranty for peace of mind.
- Efficient heating and cooking capabilities for enjoyable outdoor experiences.
- The mounting system, particularly the fan, could benefit from improvement.
- The heavy weight of the stove makes it cumbersome for transportation.
- May require additional accessories for optimal functionality in certain scenarios.
For those looking for a complete camp stove kit, the US Stove Caribou Portable Camp Stove is an excellent choice. Made by US Stove, this portable wood-burning stove is your dependable companion for outdoor adventures in any weather. Whether you’re camping, backpacking, ice fishing, or hunting, this stove has you covered.
Measuring just 18 inches long, 10 inches wide, and 17 inches high, and weighing only 14 pounds, it’s lightweight and easy to carry wherever you go. It comes with everything you need, including 6 feet of chimney pipe, legs, a flue brush, a damper tool, and racks, all neatly organized in a portable carrying case.
- Compact and lightweight design for portability on outdoor excursions.
- Complete camp stove kit with chimney pipe, legs, and racks for convenient setup.
- Easy-adjust door damper for precise heat output control.
- Heavy-duty steel construction ensures reliability and longevity.
- Ample cooking surface with included racks for versatile cooking options.
- Perfect for camping, backpacking, ice fishing, and hunting trips.
- Simple assembly and user-friendly operation for hassle-free outdoor adventures.
- Efficient heating capabilities offer warmth and comfort with less fuel consumption.
- Versatile cooking options with included racks for drying items and indirect heat cooking.
- Easy-to-clean design with a large ash pan for convenient maintenance.
- Portable carrying case for convenient storage and transportation.
- The limited cooking surface of the stove
- Having durability issues with prolonged use.
The next product on our list is the VFS2-PH30DT wood-burning stove by Pleasant Hearth. This stove is a classy heating option crafted to bring warmth and style to any room. With its sleek black design and durable plastic build, it measures 14.37 inches deep, 31.93 inches wide, and 28.27 inches high, making it perfect for spaces up to 1,000 square feet.
Ideal for homes without traditional flues or chimneys, its vent-free technology adds convenience. Plus, it includes features like a built-in thermostat control and an overheat sensor, ensuring both efficient heating and safety.
- Dual fuel technology (to operate with LP or natural gas), providing flexibility and convenience.
- Powerful 30,000 BTU/hr heating capacity effectively warms up to 1,000 sq. ft. of living space.
- The built-in thermostat control knob maintains your desired heat level for optimal comfort.
- The dual burner design creates a realistic flame appearance for added ambiance.
- Easy-to-clean firebox with a large ash pan and brushed nickel handle simplifies maintenance.
- The compact and stylish design with a pedestal base enhances the aesthetic appeal of any room.
- Excellent compatibility with both LP and natural gas fuel options.
- A great choice for budget-conscious consumers seeking efficient heating solutions.
- Backed by a generous 6-year manufacturer warranty for peace of mind.
- Efficient cooling and easy installation with versatile tuning options for improved performance.
- Stylish and modern design adds a touch of elegance to any home decor.
- A blower for improved heat distribution is sold separately, adding to the overall cost.
- The mounting system (particularly the fan) needs improvement for better functionality and stability.
If you are looking for a portable wood-burning stove for your outdoor adventures like camping, hiking, and ice fishing, then here’s your best companion – the outdoor portable wood burning stove by UNDUSLUY. It is crafted from robust cast iron that is built to endure the demands of outdoor use while delivering dependable heating and cooking capabilities.
Measuring a compact 18.14 inches in length, 10.92 inches in width, and 11.89 inches in height, and weighing just 14.77 pounds, it strikes the perfect balance between portability and functionality. Its foldable design, complete with collapsible legs and a chimney tube that conveniently fits inside the furnace, ensures effortless transportation and storage. Equipped with a heat-resistant glass door, this stove allows for easy monitoring of flames and adjustments to heat output, enhancing your outdoor experience with convenience and efficiency.
- Portable tent stove with foldable racks and legs for easy portability and storage.
- High-quality cast iron construction ensures durability and long-term use.
- Heat output regulator with a chimney pipe damping tool for precise heat control.
- Highly flame-retardant design with chimney pipes to prevent outdoor fire hazards.
- Wide range of applications, including camping, backpacking, and ice fishing adventures.
- Includes a hook for easy ash cleaning and maintenance during outdoor use.
- Effortless setup and assembly make it user-friendly for outdoor enthusiasts.
- Impressive appearance and well-designed construction enhance the overall camping experience.
- Lightweight and compact design make it easy to carry during outdoor excursions.
- Versatile functionality allows for boiling water, cooking, and enjoying a barbecue in various outdoor settings.
- Excellent value for the price, providing reliable performance and durability.
- A burning smell during initial use will dissipate over time.
- Opinions vary on heat resistance, quality, and size, with occasional issues reported by certain users.
For a perfect home heating experience, consider the Ashley Hearth AW1120E-P Wood Burning Stove. This classic black stove not only enhances your home’s ambiance but also delivers powerful heating performance. With an impressive 68,000 BTU output, it can effectively warm spaces of up to 1,200 square feet, ensuring comfort and warmth even on the coldest days.
Crafted from durable wood materials and equipped with a firebrick-lined interior, this stove guarantees durability and efficient combustion. Plus, its brushed nickel spring door handle and pedestal base add a touch of sophistication to any room, blending functionality with style seamlessly.
- A high heat output of 68,000 BTUs effectively warms spaces up to 1,200 sq. ft. for ample comfort.
- Durable construction with a firebrick-lined interior ensures longevity and efficient combustion.
- The brushed nickel spring door handle and pedestal base provide an elegant look to complement any decor.
- Accepts logs up to 18″ in length, offering versatility in fuel options.
- EPA certified for environmental friendliness and compliance with stringent emission standards.
- Blower sold separately (model CB36 or B36) for enhanced heat distribution (sold separately).
- Its impressive appearance and heat output make it an excellent choice for home heating needs.
- Sturdy construction and quality materials ensure reliability and longevity.
- Provides exceptional value for the price, offering efficient heating performance.
- Easy to operate and maintain, with simple controls and cleaning procedures.
- Elegant design adds a decorative element to any room while providing functional heating.
- A blower for improved heat distribution is sold separately, increasing the overall cost.
- Some users may experience durability issues, such as door breakage, after extended use.
- Opinions on performance may vary among users, with occasional complaints about functionality.
Buying Guide to Purchase the Best Wood Burning Stoves
When considering purchasing a wood-burning stove, several factors come into play to ensure you select the right one for your needs. Here’s a comprehensive buying guide to help you make an informed decision:
1. Heat Output Rating:
The heat output rating of the stove is the main feature to consider, as it functions in warm living spaces. This rating is typically measured in British Thermal Units per hour (BTU/hour), indicating the amount of heat the stove can produce.
Wood-burning stoves come with varying heat output ratings, such as 60000 BTU/hour or 100000 BTU/hour. A higher BTU rating indicates a stove that can quickly and effectively heat up a room. Simply put, the higher the BTU number, the larger the area it can comfortably and swiftly heat.
Choosing a stove with an appropriate BTU rating ensures efficient heating for the square footage of your space. For example, a stove with a capacity of 28000 to 30000 BTU/hour is suitable for heating areas ranging from 800 to 1000 square feet.
It’s important to note that while the heat output rating indicates the stove’s capacity to generate heat, the distribution of warm air throughout the room is facilitated by blowers within the stove. Adjusting factors such as the type and quantity of wood logs used can affect the heat output, allowing for customization according to your heating needs.
Here is a table that clarifies how much BTU is required for your home based on the size of your wood stove:
|Wood Stove Size
|Small Wood Stove
|30,000 – 60,000 BTU
|60,000 – 120,000 BTU
|Large Wood Stove
|120,000 + BTU
2. Heating Area:
The heating area of a wood-burning stove indicates the space it can effectively warm up. It’s measured in square feet. Entry-level models typically cover around 1000 square feet, while more powerful ones can reach up to 2000 square feet or more. Choose a stove with a heating area suitable for your needs – smaller for homes, larger for offices, or industrial spaces.
3. Compatible Wood Log Size:
Wood-burning stoves require logs that fit properly for efficient combustion and heat production. Most stoves accommodate logs between 18 to 22 inches in length. If your stove supports a different size, adjust your wood logs accordingly.
4. Fuel Type:
Wood stoves can use various types of wood for fuel, each offering different heat output and aroma. Some models use real wood logs, while others may use gas for burning (giving an artificial look inside for aesthetics). Depending on your preference, you can choose between natural gas or propane gas.
Also, decide whether you prefer a dedicated wood-burning stove or a multi-fuel stove that can burn wood as well as other fuels like pellets or coal. Multi-fuel stoves offer versatility but may require additional maintenance.
Wood burners are typically made of heavy-duty steel or cast iron. Cast iron tends to last longer but is more expensive. Steel stoves are a good alternative and are favored for their modern designs. Here cast iron takes a longer time to heat up than steel, yet retain the heat for a long time. A well-built stove will withstand high temperatures and provide reliable heating for years to come.
6. Size and Form:
Consider the size and shape of the stove, whether for indoor or outdoor use, to ensure it fits your space properly. Measure the available area for installation and choose a stove that complements your home decor. Indoor stoves should fit comfortably and may have chimney requirements, while outdoor stoves should be compact & lightweight for portability.
Modern stoves often feature an airwash mechanism to keep the glass door clean by preventing smoke buildup. This feature ensures clear visibility of the flames and easy maintenance. Even though a tad of dirt may build up eventually, yet you can easily remove it by using non-scratch sponges.
8. Efficiency Rating and Emissions:
Check the efficiency rating and emission rates of the stove, certified by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Higher efficiency means less smoke released into the air, making it both eco-friendly and efficient. They emit less quantity of smoke per hour (4.5 grams/hour or less), and thereby running this stove will get less smoke, less ash, and require less firewood.
9. Burn Time:
Wood burns rapidly and thereby we have to refill the stove quite often. This makes it essential to look for a wood stove with a long burning time. Look for a stove with a long burn time to reduce the frequency of refilling. A minimum burn time of 5 hours is recommended for extended warmth.
10. Bottom Grate and Fire Bricks:
Inspect the bottom grate and fire bricks for durability. Cast iron grates typically last around 10 years, while fire bricks, a lining part inside of the furnace made of ceramic. It gets heated up quickly at high temperatures and may break/crack after some years, needing replacement after several years of use.
11. Price and Installation Cost:
Wood stoves vary in price based on quality and features. Budget models range from $500 to $1000, while more efficient ones can cost between $1000 and $2500. Also, consider installation costs, which can range from $800 to $4000 depending on complexity.
Check the warranty offered with the stove. Most models come with a 1 to 2-year warranty, while more durable options may offer 3 to 5 years. Opt for a stove with a longer warranty for added peace of mind and quality assurance.
Verdict: By considering these factors, you can confidently choose the best wood-burning stove to keep your home warm and cozy during the cold winter months.
For those seeking a traditional yet highly functional heating solution, wood-burning stoves remain a timeless choice. To assist you in selecting the ideal stove for your needs, we’ve highlighted some standout options below:
- The Best Overall Option – Guide Gear Wood Burning Stove, as it comes with an impressive heat output rating of 110000 BTU/hour and a heating area rating of 400 – 500 square feet.
- Best Durability and Reliability Option – Pleasant Hearth Wood Burning Stove, as it offers exceptional build quality. Its heating capacity of 30000 BTU/hour to warm around 1000 square feet.
- Best Budget-Friendly Option – Ashley Hearth Wood Burning Stove, as it provides excellent value without compromising on performance. While primarily intended for outdoor use, its affordable price tag and generous heating area rating of 1200 square feet make it a practical choice for many users.
Share your opinions and questions in the comments section below. We’ll help you in making informed decisions about your wood-burning stove purchase and usage.
Wood Burning Stove – FAQs
1. How do you start a fire in a wood-burning stove?
Ans: Begin by placing a newspaper at the bottom of the stove to ignite the fire. Stack furnace-dried logs on top and add quality kindling. Once the fire is lit, close the door to spread warmth throughout your space.
2. Can a wood-burning stove be left on overnight?
Ans: Whether a stove can be left on overnight depends on the model. Check if your stove is designed for safe overnight use to avoid any fire risks.
3. What is the installation cost and time for a wood-burning stove?
Ans: Installation costs for a small wood-burning stove typically range around £2000, while a twin-wall insulated chimney system may cost at least £3500. Installation usually takes a day or slightly longer with the assistance of professional fitters.
4. Is a log burner cheaper than a gas burner?
Ans: According to the Stove Industry Alliance (SIA), wood-burning stoves are 29% cheaper to run per kilowatt-hour (kWh) compared to gas fires. However, they may not compete with full gas central heating systems.
5. How long does a wood-burning stove last?
Ans: Wood-burning stoves generally last between 10 to 20 years. Cheaper, low-quality stoves may last around 10 years, while high-quality ones can last 20 years or more with proper care and maintenance.
6. Where is the best place to install a wood-burning stove?
Ans: For pedestal wood stoves, place them near the center of the area to maximize heat distribution. For insert wood stoves, choose a wall with easy chimney access, preferably in the center of the room.
7. Can a wood stove heat the entire house?
Ans: Modern wood-burning stoves, as per EPA standards, are capable of heating an entire house. Check the BTU rating of the stove and your space requirements before making a purchase.