Doing maintenance work in your garage is best for relieving stress until summer arrives. Without proper garage cooling, it becomes a nightmare to do anything in the scorching heat. By using a good air conditioner, the garage’s working conditions can be favorable. Mini-split systems are ideal for a confined space like a garage.
The mini split air conditioners offer one of the most efficient ways to handle heat and humidity. They consist of an evaporator mounted on the inner walls and a condenser unit mounted on the outer surface. Heat exchanges happen in these two components, which cools the surrounding air. Before learning about the mini-split units, we must know a few governing parameters.
- BTU: The BTU rating is the most familiar term for buying an air conditioner. The British Thermal Unit (BTU) refers to the cooling capacity of a mini split unit. Measured in BTU/hr, it gives the user an idea about how well the mini split will cool. For consigned spaces like a garage, the mini splits offer a cooling performance of 12,000 to 36,000 BTU/hr.
- SEER: The Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER) is the most important parameter of a mini split’s performance. With this ratio, the efficiency of a mini-split is determined. The unit must offer good cooling performance with optimal usage of energy. The higher the SEER rating goes, the unit will be more efficient. Usually, mini spits are certified with ratings between 15 to 25.
- Room Size: The size of the room where the mini split will be installed matters too. The cooling space eventually helps decide the other technical specification like the BTU of a mini split air conditioner. The size of the room (sq. ft) is compared to the BTU capacity of the mini split to check whether the unit is suitable for the room or not. These units easily cover rooms sized between 500 to 2000 sq. ft.
By understanding these parameters, one can select the best mini split of their garage. Since investing in a mini-split is a one-time thing, users may get confused between various units. This article includes a detailed list of the best mini splits to address this situation. A “Buying Guide” is also included to help the user understand a few important factors.
- Best Mini Split For Garage Table
- Best Mini Split For Garage Reviews
- Buying Guide For The Best Mini Split For Garage
- Mini Split For Garage – FAQs
Best Mini Split For Garage Table
|best mini split for garage
|Cooper & Hunter Mini Split
|1,200 sq. ft
|Check On Amazon
|DAIKIN Mini Split
|1,500 sq. ft
|Check On Amazon
|OLMO Mini Split
|Check On Amazon
|DELLA Mini Split
|1000 sq. ft
|Check On Amazon
|COSTWAY Mini Split
|1,250 sq. ft
|Check On Amazon
|Pioneer Mini Split
|500 sq. ft
|Check On Amazon
|MRCOOL Mini Split
|500 sq. ft
|Check On Amazon
Best Mini Split For Garage Reviews
The Cooper & Hunter Sophia Series Mini Split AC/Heating System is designed for maximum cooling performance. This unit has a BTU rating of 36,000 which quickly cools the garage. Working on a power input of 208-230V, this unit operates between 5 to 122 degrees Fahrenheit. It easily cools down a garage of 1,200 sq. ft size. Equipped with Whisper Technology, the unit operates quality with negligible noise output.
Rated with 16 SEER, this unit ensures efficient consumption of energy. It comes with ⅜ to a ⅝-inch copper pipe of 25 ft in length to store the R-410A refrigerant. Various other communication wires, drainage extensions, and accessories are also fitted to ensure the proper running of the unit. It also features WiFi technology to remotely use the system.
- Air conditioning and heating system with a BTU rating of 36,000
- Rated with 16 SEER
- Suitable for room sizes up to 1,200 sq. ft
- Operational temperature between 5 to 122 degrees Fahrenheit
- Comes with 25 ft long copper pipe of ⅜ to ⅝-inch size
- Supports power supply of 208 to 230V
- Uses R-410A refrigerant for better cooling efficiency
- Additional features like WiFi connectivity
- It offers the most powerful cooling in the segment
- It comes with Whisper Technology which helps in silent operations
- It offers a 7-year warranty on the compressor and a 5-year warranty on the parts
- It carries a premium price tag compared to the other options
The DAIKIN Mini Split A/C System also offers a better cooling performance with a BTU rating of 24,000. Rated with 19 SEER, 9 HSPF, and 12.2 EER, this unit efficiently consumes energy even under cooling or heating. Producing 19 dB noise output, this mini split can easily cool down a 1,500 sq. ft size room. A remote controller is also provided to control the mini split AC from the comfort of the user’s hand.
The R-140A refrigerant circulates in a 33 ft long anti-corrosion-treated coil, offering a better heat exchange. It supports a 98’ horizontal run and 66’ vertical rise to avoid refrigerant pressure drop. A titanium apatite photocatalytic filter purifies the air to keep dirt away from the users. Components like Maxwell 15 ft kit, wall mounting bracket, 13-ft line set cover kit, etc. assist in installation.
- A mini split A/C and Heat pump system with a BTU rating of 24,000
- Rated with 19 SEER, 9 HSPF, and 12.2 EER
- Suitable for a 1,500 sq. ft room
- Compatible with 230V DC supply
- 33 ft long coil with R-140A refrigerant
- A built-in titanium apatite photocatalytic air filter
- A dedicated remote controller
- Mounting accessories included
- It is the most silent unit with 19 dB of noise output for indoor
- It comes with an industry-best 12 years warranty
- It is suitable for larger rooms or garages
- It is one of the most expensive units on the list
The OLMO Alpic Ductless Mini Split Air Conditioner is designed for practicality. It has a BTU rating of 18,000 ensuring better cooling and heating performance. It features inverter technology and a 16.8 SEER rating, allowing continuous operation without wasting energy. Working on a 208-230V supply, this unit produces ambient temperature between 5 to 122 degrees Fahrenheit.
Pre-charged with the R-410A refrigerant, the 16 ft copper line offers heat exchange between inner and outer air. The mini split AC also features an LED screen displaying the necessary details. Additional functions like self-diagnosis, defrost, pre-heating mode, sleep mode, and fan delay are available with this unit. It also has 16 ft communication wires and a drainage extension.
- Rated for 18,000 BTU
- A SEER rating of 16.8
- Compatible with 208 to 230V power supply
- Operational temperature of 5 to 122 degrees Fahrenheit
- 16 ft copper line filled with R-410A refrigerant
- LED screen with multiple modes
- Dedicated 16-ft communication wires and 16-ft drainage extension
- It offers extensions for drainage and communication line
- The indoor operations are silent
- It comes with a 5-year warranty
- It does not offer WiFi connectivity
The Della Ductless Mini Split Air Conditioner And Heater has various modern features. On the performance part, a rating of 18,000 BTU allows better cooling of the garage. With a 17 SEER2 rating and a built-in DC inverter, this unit allows 30% efficient power utilization. The energy bills won’t go up even after using the unit for a 1000 sq. ft room. It can lower the temperature of the garage up to 5 degrees Fahrenheit.
The 4D air flow function circulates air in all directions (left, right, up, and down). The remote controller has built-in sensors that sense and adjust airflow and temperature accordingly. With 47 dB of noise output, the users won’t get disturbed at night. It also features various functions like sleep mode, eco-energy, auto modes, etc. It also has WiFi and app connectivity.
- A ductless mini split with an 18,000 BTU rating
- SEER2 17 rating and DC converter for energy saving of 30%
- Suitable for 1000 sq. ft garage
- Lowest operating temperature of 5 degrees Fahrenheit
- Remote controller with built-in temperature sensors
- WiFi and app connectivity
- Additional features like sleep mode, fan control, timer, etc
- The indoor operations are silent thanks to a 47 dB noise output
- It offers better coverage in all directions, thanks to the 4D airflow feature
- The automatic temperature adjustment helps in energy saving
- It does not have voice control support
Costway is one of the leading brands which promotes the conservation of nature by developing nature-friendly air conditioners. By removing harmful refrigerants and testing products for energy efficiency, it has remained true to its values.
The Costway Mini Split Air Conditioner and Heater System is the most affordable option. With affordability, this unit offers better cooling performance thanks to a BTU rating of 18,000. With a capacity of 67.5 pints, this mini split can easily cool down a 1,250 sq. ft garage.
The SEER 19 rating makes it an energy-efficient unit. The inverter technology automatically adjusts the power supply, reducing overall power consumption.
Equipped with a 1.5-ton pump, this unit has over 5 different modes. Additional functions like 4 fan speeds, sleep, eco mode, iFEEL, and turbo function enhance the cooling experience. It has a noise output of only 56 dB, equivalent to moderate rainfall. A dedicated remote control with a built-in screen allows access to the AC’s functions.
- Mini split AC and heater with 18,000 BTU rating
- Suitable for 1,250 sq. ft rooms
- SEER 19 and inverter technology for efficient power consumption
- The overall capacity of 67.5 pints
- Equipped with a 1.5-ton pump
- 4 fan speed modes and 5 working modes
- Additional functions like sleep, eco, turbo, auto defrost mode etc
- A dedicated remote controller with a screen
- It is the most affordable option on the list
- The self-cleaning function at 134.6 degrees Fahrenheit helps in increasing the lifespan of the unit
- It offers a 2-year warranty on the compressor and a 5-year warranty on the parts
- The noise output goes up to 56 dB, making it louder
The Pioneer WYS012A-20 Mini Split Air Conditioner is loaded with various features. It has a cooling capacity of 12,000 BTU or 1 Ton, enough to cool down a 500 sq. ft garage. This unit has a SEER value of 20, 10.5 HSPF, along with 3 energy stars which help in the efficient consumption of energy. The inverter technology further helps in saving energy while heating.
When the cooling begins, the mini-split produces only 26 dB of noise without disturbing the surrounding. A dedicated remote control helps in controlling every function of the mini-split. Running on a 110-120V power supply, this unit offers 4 different modes. A 16 ft copper piping kit is also included for further extension of drainage or other connections.
- A mini split conditioner with a 12,000 BTU rating
- SEER value of 20, HSPF efficiency of 10.5, and 3 energy stars
- Suitable for 500 sq. ft garage
- Feature 4 different modes
- Compatible with 110-120V power supply
- 16 ft copper piping kit included
- The Inverter technology automatically changes power consumption
- The indoor operation is quiet due to a 26 dB noise output
- It offers a 5-year warranty on the compressor and parts
- It does not offer WiFi or app connectivity
The MRCOOL DIY-12-HP-115B25 Ductless Mini Split System offers easy DIY installation. This unit features various smart technologies like WiFi and app connectivity. On the performance part, it offers a cooling power of 12,000 BTU. Using R-410A refrigerant helps in cooling a garage of 500 sq. ft size. It is also certified with a SEER value of 22, making it an ideal choice for efficient energy consumption.
Running on a 120V power supply, the operational temperature can go as low as 5 degrees Fahrenheit. A 25 ft connection line is also provided further to extend the connection between AC and other components. The mini split also supports controlling via voice command from Alexa or Google Assistant.
- A ductless mini split system with a 12,000 BTU rating
- Certified with SEER value of 22
- Suitable for 500 sq. ft garage
- Lowest operating temperature of 5 degrees Fahrenheit
- Includes smart connectivity features like WiFi, app, and voice control
- A 25 ft connection line included
- Compatible with 120V power supply
- It has a DIY-friendly design and thereby offers easy installation
- It is the most energy-efficient unit on the list
- It is suitable for the modern smart homes
- It is not suitable for very large rooms or garages
Buying Guide For The Best Mini Split For Garage
Due to the mini split air conditioner, a comfortable temperature is maintained in the garage. They are ideal options for confined spaces due to their compact size compared to centralized units. We have already gone through a detailed list of some best options. However, a user must be aware of a few parameters about mini splits. By considering these parameters, one can narrow down the best mini split for their garage.
The cooling capacity of a mini split is an important factor that gives the user an idea about its cooling performance. It is usually measured per hour in the British Thermal Unit (BTU). The BTU depends on various factors like the size of the room, the temperature difference, etc. For the garage, mini splits with a cooling capacity of 12,000 to 24,000 BTU is enough. When more cooling power is needed to compensate for the rising temperature, 36,000 BTU/hr capacity units are also available.
The Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio is a simple measurement of the efficiency of a mini split. The cooling process of any air conditioner comes at the expense of energy consumption. These units are tuned for better cooling with lesser energy consumption to avoid heavy energy bills in the summer. SEER is usually made mandatory by various governments to promote energy-saving electrical devices. A higher SEER value means less energy consumption and thereby a lower energy bill. The mini-split ACs usually have a SEER value between 15 to 25.
3. Room Size
To cool a garage, the mini split has to offer better coverage. The size of the room or garage has to be suitable for the cooling capacity of the mini split. The coverage area is usually mentioned on the unit. Buying a mini split with a coverage capacity of more than the actual room size is advised. Most mini splits easily cool rooms between 500 to 1000 sq. ft. For larger garages, some units can cover an area above 1000 sq. ft, up to 2000 sq. ft. A user can also select a mini split with the help of a BTU and square foot area chart
4. Power Source
The mini split air conditioners consist of components like compressors which need a stable power supply. The compressor allows the movement of coolant through the evaporator and condenser. The cooling fan also helps the circulation of fresh air in the garage. Most of the mini-splits run on an AC power supply. The power supply ranges from 110 to 240 volts depending on the power circuit. The unit must be connected to a specified power inlet to avoid damage or zero operation condition. The mini splits are plugged into a power supply via a power cord.
A refrigerant is a cooling medium that is used to transfer heat from indoor air to outdoor air. The selection of refrigerant is important as every type has different properties. The most common refrigerant used in mini splits is the R-410A from the hydrofluorocarbon (HFC) family. It is made up of two different HFC refrigerants like R-125 and R-32. This enhanced refrigerant has a good cooling ability, works under high pressure, and poses less threat to the environment. The refrigerants must be chosen carefully as their leaks can damage the ozone layer.
Warranty is given equal importance while purchasing a mini split for the garage. Since a user is investing money in a mini split, a warranty ensures safety against accidental damages. Some brands offer a warranty and free maintenance plan, to repair or replace the damaged component. The mini splits usually have a warranty period of 5 to 7 years. Some brands even offer a warranty of up to 12 years to guarantee a certain product quality. The user must check everything covered under warranty to avail it whenever the need arises.
Mini Split For Garage – FAQs
Ans: The size of a mini-split system depends on several factors like the size of the garage, the surrounding temperature, etc. The user must check the overall area needed for cooling. The area is then matched with a suitable BTU rating to ensure perfect cooling of the garage space. Other factors like the type of refrigerant also help in selecting the right size of mini split for the garage.
Ans: Mini-split ACs deal with a huge amount of air and humidity. These units thereby need regular maintenance to ensure durability. The air filters are cleaned to allow efficient filtration of outside air. The refrigerant level is also checked for the refilling process. The coils of the condenser and evaporator are also cleaned to ensure better heat transfer. Any damage to electrical wiring is also done to prevent malfunction.
Ans: Due to the smaller size of mini split systems, it is possible for a user to mount them. But the installation process is always done by a skilled person with knowledge of electricity and refrigeration systems. The technician uses their knowledge to mount the various components of the mini split perfectly. This helps prevent electrical hazards, refrigerant leakage, or improper placement of the unit.
Ans: Compared to the window units, the mini split ACs have a quieter operation. But these units still have a noticeable noise output depending on the load or setting. The inner unit (evaporator and fan) is silent and produces over 20 to 50 dB of noise. The outdoor components like the condenser and compressor, are louder, with a noise output between 30 dB to 70 dB.
The mini split system offers a cost-effective solution to cool down the garage. Due to these units’ smaller size and installation, they have become a popular alternative to other air conditioning units. This article walks you through a detailed list of such mini splits for the garage. The buying guide and FAQ section further explain the importance of a few parameters with certain solutions. Having discussed this information, we have chosen our favorite mini-splits from the list.
- The Cooper & Hunter Mini Split is an ideal choice for the user who prioritizes cooling over anything. With a cooling power of 36,000 BTU, it can rapidly cool a garage of 1,200 sq. ft size. Operating on a 208-230V power supply, it can produce temperatures between 5 to 122 degrees Fahrenheit. With a 16 SEER rating, the unit ensures optimal energy consumption. It comes with a 25 ft long ⅜ to ⅝-inch copper pipe to circulate R-410A refrigerant. It also features WiFi technology, enabling users to remotely control the mini split.
- To cool down a larger space, the DAIKIN Mini Split is the best option thanks to a BTU rating of 24,000. It qualifies as an energy-efficient unit with ratings like 19 SEER, 9 HSPF, and 12.2 EER. Operating at 19 dB noise level, this mini split can effectively cool a room of up to 1,500 sq. ft. The R-140A refrigerant circulates through a 33 ft long coil, ensuring better heat exchange. The remote controller offers wireless control over the unit. This mini-split AC is designed to avoid any pressure drops in the refrigerant due to the orientation of refrigerant coils. A titanium apatite photocatalytic filter helps in purifying air.
- You won’t have to worry about cooling the garage on a tight budget, thanks to the Costway Mini Split. It offers excellent cooling performance with a BTU rating of 18,000. It has a capacity of 67.5 pints and is capable of cooling a garage of up to 1,250 sq. ft. With a SEER 19 rating and inverter technology, overall power consumption is reduced. It operates quietly, with a noise output of only 56 dB. A dedicated remote controller provides access to functions like 5 operating modes, 4 speeds for fan speeds, sleep mode, eco mode, iFEEL, and turbo functions.