A gas chainsaw, fueled by a robust gasoline engine, driving a chain adorned with sharp teeth. This chain effortlessly glides along a slender guide bar, the very path to precision. The tasks it takes on are as diverse as they are demanding from felling towering trees, to shaping branches, to gathering firewood that warms your hearth.
Yet, with great power comes the need for greater responsibility. Picture yourself wearing a helmet that guards, chaps that shield, goggles that protect, and gloves that secure. These are the armor of a chainsaw wielder.
We have mentioned a detail guide on bar length, engine and tasks they can handle in our “Buying Guide”. It also has other information like anti-vibration feature, safety features, throttle, kickback and warranty. Read it carefully to make an informed choice.
A list of the popular and best gas chainsaws for home use and professional use is also provided below for your reference.
Top Gas Chainsaws List 2023
|Gas Chainsaws||Chain Length||Engine Power||Warranty||Buy Now|
|Poulan Pro Gas Chainsaw||18 Inch||42 CC||1 Years||Check On Amazon|
|CraftsmanGas Chainsaw||16 Inch||42 CC||2 Years||Check On Amazon|
|Proyama Gas Chainsaws||22 Inch||62 CC||2 Years||Check On Amazon|
|Supmix Gas Chainsaw||20 Inch||62 CC||1 Year||Check On Amazon|
|Echo Ope Gas Chainsaw||14 Inch||30.5 CC||5 Years||Check On Amazon|
|Neo Tec Gas Chainsaw||12 Inch||24.5 CC||1 Year||Check On Amazon|
|Husqvarna Gas Chainsaw||16 Inch||40 CC||2 Years||Check On Amazon|
|Qztodo Gas Chainsaw||12 Inch||25.4 CC||1 Year||Check On Amazon|
Best Gas Chainsaw Reviews
Poulan Pro’s gas chainsaw offers a decent amount of power from its 42cc engine for your cutting needs. It has an 18 inches bar that can cut small to medium-sized wood. This power and bar size make the saw perfect for felling trees, cutting firewood, and storm cleanup.
Poulan Pro has used its patented technology OxyPower to generate incredible power with reduced fuel consumption and lower emission. The fuel will last longer and you will be spending very little on the fuel. Besides, you will also be doing your part to develop a greener environment.
The pull cord is assisted by a spring to help you start the engine soon. You do not have to waste your energy and time in pulling the cord. The engine will start with fewer cord-pulls.
The gasoline chainsaw has an ergonomic design with a superior anti-vibration system. Even if you operate the chainsaw for long hours, you will not get tired. There will be minimal vibration. Besides, the controls are easy to access.
The automatic oiler does its part in lubricating the bar and chain to prevent wear and extend the life. The air filtering system will prevent dust from entering the engine and reducing efficiency.
The chainsaw comes with an integrated onboard scrench with a snap-lock cover. You can easily access the chain tensioning component without using any tools.
Populan Pro provides a 1-year warranty to all its gasoline chainsaws.
- Runs on a 42cc engine
- Uses 18 inches bar
- Patented OxyPower technology
- Spring-assisted pull cord
- Automatic oiler and air filtering system
- Onboard scrench
- 1-year warranty
- Suitable for medium-duty tasks
- Consumes less fuel and generates lower emissions
- Starts within a few pulls of the cord
- Can access the inner parts without tools
- Performance drops over time
- Warranty period could have been more
Craftsman is a popular brand that manufactures reliable products at affordable price ranges. They provide better quality power tools, including these chainsaws.
This 41AY4216791 gas chainsaw from Craftsman is equipped with a 42 CC full crank 2-cycle engine that offers great power and less vibration for strong delivery to the bar. With its premium 16-inch bar and low kickback chain, the saw lets you cut through the hardest or toughest wood quickly and effortlessly.
It is lightweight, and easy to handle that engineered with polymer chassis for its effective performance and longer usage without any fatigue. With its easy-start technology, you can pull start the chainsaw easily, smoothly, and quickly for effective wood cutting.
The adjustable auto chain oiler will allow the user to raise or lower the oil flow and thereby maintain proper lubricant on the chain. Also, it features a 3-point anti-vibration system, inertia-activated chain brake, tool-free access to the air filter, 2-cycle oil, and a cushioned full-wrap aluminum handle that let you maneuverable and operated the chainsaw comfortably.
It is a perfect choice for gardening and landscaping products and the manufacturer provides a 2-year limited warranty duration on the product.
- 44 CC two-cycle engine
- Low kickback function
- Ergonomic design
- 2HP gas-powered chainsaw
- Easy-start technology
- Adjustable auto oiler system
- Offers 2 years limited warranty.
- Easy to assemble and use
- High-performance chainsaw
- Lightweight, stable, and durable option
- Less maintenance and greater control
- The carrying case is not included to move it around comfortably.
- It takes some time to start if left unused.
This PCS62 gas-powered chainsaw is equipped with a 62 CC stroke engine ensuring strong delivery to the bar. It is powerful, durable, and robust yet easy to operate, making it an all-around model with low emission levels and fuel consumption.
It is a 2-cycle powerful engine that is ideal for cutting jobs all around the garden to complete various tasks like clearing land, tree pruning, preparing firewood, or cleaning after the storm quickly and easily. It comes with 22-inch chains and an ergonomic design with an anti-vibration system that reduces the vibration levels and thereby provides comfortable chainsaw usage.
As it is equipped with quick-start technology, you can start the chainsaw without any issues. Furthermore, this chainsaw features purge, soft start, and integrated choke/stop controls for its effective usage.
You can handle and maintain the chainsaw with its convenient side adjust chain tensioning and easy-access clips for quick access to the spark plug and filter. It is lightweight, portable, and easy to operate that comes with a fuel ratio of 40 (gas):1 (oil).
It is a perfect choice for gardening and landscaping projects. Furthermore, the manufacturer offers a 2-year warranty duration on this product.
- Powered by a 2-cycle 62CC engine
- Quick start technology
- Ergonomic design with anti-vibration system
- Wear and high-temperature resistant
- Durable, lightweight, and robust model
- Lower emissions and lower fuel consumption.
- Backed by a 2-year long warranty
- Easy to use and operate
- High-quality chain with low maintenance
- Comfortable handle and high-quality brake
- Stable, durable, and effective model
- Quick access to filter and spark plug.
- Some users complain about its oil leakage.
The Supmix 62cc gas chainsaw is a tough and versatile tool that’s really good at lots of jobs. From tree felling to limbing and pruning, this powerhouse is your ultimate companion. It has a long 20-inch bar and a chain that’s safe and easy to use. It cuts through tough wood without any trouble. It has lots of good things that make it easy to use. The engine is strong and works really well.
There’s a switch to keep you safe, and a brake that stops the chain quickly. This helps you control the tool easily. The automatic oiler ensures continuous lubrication, further contributing to its longevity and efficiency.
The chain spins superfast at 11,800 spins per minute, and the power is 3.5 horsepower. This helps the tool cut hard wood very easily and makes your work faster. This chainsaw is strong and won’t break easily. It’s good for people who work with trees and also for people who have trees at home. You can use it to do lots of things, like cutting branches or chopping big trees. This chainsaw is easy to use and works well. It helps you finish your projects safely and quickly, without any trouble.
- Safety features like a switch and quick-stop brake.
- Automatic oiler for smooth operation.
- Cuts through tough wood easily.
- Versatile for various tasks like pruning and tree felling.
- Gasoline-powered, which requires fuel and maintenance.
- Relatively heavy at 12 kg.
- May be too powerful for simple tasks.
ECHO 30.5cc gas chainsaw is a lightweight, incredibly powerful and versatile. Whether I’m cutting wood for the fire, making trees neat, or cleaning up the yard, this chainsaw does it all well. With its 14-inch guide bar and low-kickback chain. even thicker pieces are no match for this machine. The chain brake makes feel safe. It stops the chain fast when I need it to.
It has automatic adjustable oiler. It makes the chainsaw work well and last a long time. And at just 8.8 pounds, it’s easy to carry around.
The chain speed of 12,500 rpm and 2 horsepower output really shine. making every job feel easier and faster. It became my go-to tool for various tasks.
It’s backed by a solid one-year warranty, and the 8.5-ounce fuel tank capacity keeps me going for a good while. Plus, I know I can easily replace the chain with the 91VG52CQ model. Inside the package, you’ll find the chainsaw, bar, chain, 2-stroke oil, and an operator’s manual. If you’re ready to take your cutting tasks to the next level, I highly recommend giving this chainsaw a try.
- Lightweight and powerful for various tasks.
- Inertia-type chain brake adds safety.
- Automatic adjustable oiler for smooth operation.
- Versatile for firewood, tree trimming, and brush clearing.
- Requires gasoline and maintenance.
- May not be suitable for very heavy-duty tasks.
- Noise and emissions from gas engine.
The NEO-TEC 12″ Gas Chainsaw is super handy and strong. It’s great for lots of tasks, like cutting firewood and making my yard look neat. Its compact size and lightness makes it easy to carry around wherever I need it. With a 12-inch guide bar and a chain that’s safe and easy to use, cutting through wood has never been easier.
Safety has clearly been a priority in the design. The chain comes off easily with the split-type brake, and the wide baffle makes it even safer. Starting and using this chainsaw is simple, which is great for someone who isn’t a pro. The chainsaw has a strong 25.4cc engine and a 12-inch bar. It makes all the jobs seem really easy.
The fuel mixture is easy to manage – just a mix of gasoline and two-cycle oil. The fuel tank holds a good amount. And the oil tank ensures everything stays lubricated for a seamless operation. This chainsaw comes with a one-year warranty. So, if you’re on the hunt for a tool that combines power, safety, and ease of use, the NEO-TEC Gas Chainsaw is an absolute must-try.
- Safety features like split-type brake and wide baffle.
- Comfortable wrap-around handle.
- Runs on a gasoline mixture.
- One-year warranty.
- May not be suitable for heavy-duty tasks.
- Relatively small fuel and oil tank capacities.
The Husqvarna 435 Gas Chainsaw is a trusty helper for different tasks. With a 16-inch guide bar and a chain that’s safe and easy to use. I’ve found it to be my go-to tool for firewood, tree trimming, and brush clearing – it handles it all with ease.
Safety is a big concern for me, and the Husqvarna 435 doesn’t disappoint. The inertia-activated chain brake is a lifesaver, stops the chain immediately when needed. Starting the chainsaw is easy with Smart Start technology, saving me time and effort.
The 40cc engine with 2.2 horsepower feels like it’s made to handle anything. The 16-inch guide bar, I can easily reach the highest branches. LowVib technology, the vibrations are much less, making long jobs comfy.
Adding more fuel is easy with the cap that flips up, and I can see how much is left in the tank. With a chain speed of 11,800 rpm and a power output of 2.2 horsepower, this chainsaw makes light work of tough tasks. This chainsaw comes with a two-year warranty – that’s peace of mind I appreciate.
- Safety features like inertia-activated chain brake and Smart Start technology.
- Air Injection technology improves engine life.
- Easy-to-use flip-up fuel cap and transparent fuel indicator.
- Extended warranty on pre-mixed fuel.
- Noise and emissions from gas engine.
- Relatively small fuel tank capacity.
The QZTODO Gas-Powered Chainsaw is a tool that’s both light and strong. This chainsaw is my go-to for a bunch of tasks, like cutting firewood, trimming trees, and getting rid of brush. It’s all about making things easier and more efficient. The chainsaw’s got a 25.4cc gas engine, which means it’s got the power I need. The 12-inch guide bar is amazing – it gets to those hard-to-reach spots easily.
When it comes to safety, the low-kickback chain keeps everything steady. Plus, the handle is really comfy, even during long jobs. The fail-safe switch is a great touch for added peace of mind. When it’s time to start it up, this chainsaw is easy. Whether you’re new to using chainsaws or have experience, it’s simple to get going.
The 12,000 rpm chain speed and 1.2 horsepower make the job easily. And just so you know, this chainsaw comes with a one-year warranty. The engine type is a single-cylinder air-cooled two-stroke, built for durability. The maximum torque RPM stands at 9800 RPM/0.9KW. When it comes to fuel, the mixing ratio is 35:1 (90 gasoline: 2 cycle oil), and the fuel tank holds 260 ml. The maximum cutting diameter is an impressive 12 inches.
This Chainsaw is a handy tool that’s made my cutting tasks a whole lot easier. With its mix of power, comfort, and efficiency, it’s definitely a tool I’d recommend.
- Versatile for various tasks like cutting firewood and trimming trees.
- 12-inch guide bar and low-kickback chain for easy cutting.
- Fail-safe switch adds extra safety.
- Comes with a one-year warranty.
- Noise and emissions from gas engine.
- Relatively lower power output.
- Smaller fuel tank capacity.
How To Choose The Best Gas Chainsaw?
If you are beginner in purchasing a new chainsaw, then it can be confusing to shortlist. So, you have to consider some factors while choosing a chainsaw. We have mentioned some of them below which help you decide which gas chainsaw works best for you.
1. Blade Length Guide
Blade length is sometimes referred as guide bar. It determines the area where the chain is connected to and spins in order to chop the wood. This is the foremost factor to consider while purchasing a gas chainsaw.
In order to determine how thick wood piece can the chainsaw handle, then you have to look at length of blade and chain. Guide bars are available on several lengths but gas chainsaws only come in between 12 to 72 inches range.
For residential purposes and casual lumberjack, 12 to 20inches chainsaw is ideal. For professional use, 20 inches and above is recommended.
To determine which one exactly suits you, we recommend to consider general thumb rule which states that chainsaw blade has to be at least 2 inches larger than wood you want to chop. It provides proper clearance and prevents any potential injuries from kickback which occurs due to sudden thrust of saw blade backs towards the user.
For your reference, we have provided a table that represents tasks and its suitable bar length/blade
Here are common gas chainsaw guide bar lengths and their associated tasks:
|Chainsaw Task||Guide Bar Length (inches)|
|Trimming||16 or less|
|Pruning||12 or less|
|Limbing||12 to 14|
|Felling a small tree||12 to 14|
|Felling a medium tree||16 to 18|
|Light firewood cutting||14 to 16|
|Medium firewood cutting||16 to 18|
|Bucking||18 or larger|
|Felling large trees and|
slicing thicker logs
|20 to 24|
It represents the engine size. The basic thumb rule to remember is higher the number, powerful the engine is. Efficient engines can handle heavy and demanding tasks like felling large trees. However, remember that, more the power, heavy the machine will weigh.
If you want to maneuver around a lot or have only light to moderate tasks, small engines are suitable. The easiest way to check the power of a given chainsaw is to look at the CC rating or capacity of an engine. You can find gas chainsaw options with 40 CC or 60 CC engines as two of the most popular options. And as you would expect, a 60 CC engine will perform than a 40 CC one.
For occasional usage and residential purposes, chainsaw between 24cc to 64cc of power is suitable. If need chainsaw for heavy-duty cutting, it is better to consult professional rather than doing yourself.
To provide clear guidelines, we have provided a table below which represents suitable chainsaw power based on the task.
|Task||Chainsaw Power Required|
|Small tree felling||30cc to 40cc|
|Medium tree felling||45cc and higher|
|Large logs (bucking)||50cc and higher|
|Light firewood (under 10”)||35cc to 45cc|
|Medium firewood (10”-16”)||40cc to 50cc|
Note: Apart from that, some gas chainsaws might have their engine power mentioned in horsepower as 2.5 HP or 3.5 HP. As you would expect, a 3.5 HP engine will perform better than a 2.5 HP one. If your chainsaw has a powerful gas engine, you can easily cut through trees without any issues and get clean cuts.
3. Blade Speed
A lot of power tools have their blade or tool head speed mentioned. And this is quite important to know as a higher motor or tool speed generally results in a much better performance. Similarly, chainsaws also have their blade speed mentioned in either RPM or FPS. While RPM stands for rounds per minute and relates to the motor or the engine, FPS stands for feet per minute that tells you the speed at which the chain of your chainsaw is moving.
You can find options like 4000 RPM or 5000 RPM gas chainsaws and 30 FPS or 40 FPS gas chainsaws out there. And as you would expect, the chainsaw options with a blade speed of 5000 RPM or 40 FPS will offer better performance. This results in cleaner cuts and allows you to quickly and easily cut trees and tree branches using your chainsaw.
4. Oiler Type
Lubrication is an important thing to consider as it keeps the chain and blade workable. They prevent the components from getting damaged or overheated. The process of oiling chair and bar is different from one chainsaw to another. Basically, there are three types of oiling methods. No method is specifically better than the other. It depends on the style you are comfortable with. Below we have provided a clear description of each oiling type.
- Manual Oiler – In this process, a button is used to oil the chain and bar. This way lets you control the oiling and amount of lubrication.
- Automatic Oiler (fixed) – Also known as self-oiling system, it will provide lubrication to chainsaw components constantly. The flow cannot be adjusted.
- Automatic Oiler (adjustable) – Like above option, it is a self-oiling system but it also comes with the option of adjusting the lubrication. It ensures a steady flow of oil to the chain and bar. Due to the ability of increasing or decreasing the oil amount, it is the best from above two.
5. Chain Brake System
Even if you have several years of experience, at some point, you may experience some kickback. It determines sudden rotational thrust of chainsaw blade towards the user. This kickback can cut the upper regions, especially the face.
It usually happens in situations where the chain tip catches with a hard object or when the chain gets pinched between wood while chopping.
To avoid any potential injuries, it is better to have choose a model with chain brake system. It is actually a safety mechanism that prevents the chain from spinning when kickback occurs. This features comes in two types – inertia-activated and manual.
- Manual Chain Brake – The chain comes to stop when physical contact happens with wide bar (which is usually situated in front of the top handlebar. Actually, this bar will hit up the wrist in order to start the chain brake.
- Intertia-Activated Chain Brake – When a sudden upward force bar is encountered, chain will stop spinning. This option doesn’t require any physical contact in order to start the chain brake. It usually operates from an internal mechanism.
In terms of safety, both of them are good enough while operating gas powered chainsaw. But among the two options, activated chain brake option is the advanced version. However, this option can add more bucks to the price.
6. Chain Tensioner Type
Chainsaw chains handles very hard tasks. So, you have to adjust them regularly. This is even more important for new chainsaws. As the chain is fresh, they are more prone to stretching.
Every chainsaw has a certain way to adjust itself to the tension. There are two popular chain tensioner types that include – options that includes special tool and option that hasn’t. Let’s see how these two options work…
- Scrench Chain Tensioner – Scrench is a combination of wrench and screwdriver. It is used to tighten or loosen the chain by adjusting the screw or bolt.
- Tool-Less Chain Tensioner – This option doesn’t require any sort of tool. Actually, the chain tension is adjusted using a knob. This is why it has got the name tool-less.
7. Buckling Spikes
People who have to deal with heavy tree cutting or pruning stuff usually prefer gas chainsaws. If you are choosing the same option, then we recommend to have a look at buckling spikes feature. They represent sharp metal spikes which connect the chainsaw body at the blade base.
You have to dig them into the tree trunk in order to support the machine while chopping. The bucking spike feature lets you chop or cut trees more easily. It performs straight cuts and adds protection source against kickback.
Common handle types available with chainsaws is top and rear. Rear handle chainsaws are suitable for ground tasks. Top handle types are specially designed for tasks where the person has to climb up a tree or an elevated platform for pruning or cutting.
9. Anti-Vibration Features
This feature reduces the vibrations which are often experienced while operating a chainsaw. It will let the user to work for longer times. It reduces the discomfort and minimize the numbness.
10. Spring-Assist Starting
Having a gas chainsaw that requires countless pulls to get the machine start is pretty annoying. In order to avoid such issues, it is better to have spring assist starting. This feature decreases the pulling force that is required in order to start the machine. This actually makes the process much easier.
11. Throttle Lock
This factors will force you to operate the throttle lock to use the chainsaw. This actually prevents the unintentional operation.
Weight is actually pretty important factor when it comes to purchasing a chainsaw. Before analyzing the options, you have to check how long you intend to use the chainsaw and how heavy the chainsaw is. Initially, 12 pounds of weight may seem not so difficult but it can add more weight as the time passes like if you use it continuously for 30 minutes. Proper weight distribution is also important while analyzing the product weight.
Metal is obviously the sturdier and trust-worthy option as it provides better longevity. However, they are much expensive. But if you are on a budget, then we recommend to go for a polycarbonate build. If you can afford, then it is always better to go for metal versions.
14. Attachment Compatibility
As woodworking tasks can be diverse, it is better to purchase a chainsaw that comes with several attachments that are specially designed for different purposes. For example, debarkers clean the logs in order to prepare it for cutting. Milling machines lets you cut the wood into planks, beams and structural boards. Few saws come with capability to attach poles that result in extended reach. It can be bought as separate machine when your requirement is trimming or pruning higher areas of the tree.
Few gas-powered chainsaws come with extra set of features like heated handlers, mufflers, air filte, spark plug, stop control, exhaust air cleaning system and others. If having certain factors make the process much easier, then why not opt for chainsaw model with them.
16. Popularity Ratings
Checking out the user reviews to know the performance of the chainsaw. Several people fall to the marketing tricks and end up choosing a wrong one. Having a look at the reviews and ratings from product to product, will help you understand the true worth of the product.
When it comes to electronic tools, you always get what you pay for. The price range of gas-powered chainsaws is anywhere from $80 to $600 based on the features and brand popularity.
If you have a tight budget, you will have non-professional and good quality chainsaws. However, make sure to read the customer reviews and rating beforehand. And also closely checkout some safety features like power, ergonomics, safety features and even customer service.
18. Durability and Warranty
If you are using your gas chainsaw for cutting a lot of wood, you can face issues over a long period of time. As a result, you should get gas chainsaws that are durable enough. The easiest way to make sure that the given chainsaw is durable enough is to get one with a decent warranty duration. While most of the gas chainsaw options out there offer a 2-year warranty, some of them even come with a 4 year-long warranty.
You can also check the build quality offered by a gas chainsaw. Such gas chainsaws with longer warranty periods and decent build quality can easily last for a long time. The chain material offered by a chainsaw is also quite important to check. Any gas chainsaw that comes with carbide chains can easily last for a long time without needing to replace the chains.
Benefits of Using a Gas Chainsaw
As you already know, there are other types of chainsaws apart from gas operated model. For handling heavier tasks, gas chainsaws are the most preferred ones. Apart from that, there are several other advantages of choosing a gas chainsaw. We have provided the information below.
- Power – Compared to other models, gas chainsaws are considered the most powerful option. As the chain spins much faster and tougher, it can easily cut through wood of any thickness.
- Guide Bar Length – Gas chainsaws come in several options when it comes to length. This lets you choose the right guide bar for your type of jobs. 72inches or 6feet is the longest blade length available with gas powered chainsaws.
- Mobility – They let you prune or cut regardless of where and when you use it. Usually, electric chainsaws are limited extension cord length and when it comes to battery chainsaws, they require power source to recharge. But gas chainsaws don’t have any such limitations. As long as you have the fuel in the tank, you are good to go.
- Safety – Apart from being powerful, gas powered chainsaws also come with several advanced safety features that are specially designed to safeguard the user. Some models come with inertia-activated chain brake – which stops the chain spinning whenever kickback happens. Such safety features are rare when it comes to other models.
- More Options – As gas chainsaw models are pretty popular than the rest, they are available in a wide array of options. You can easily find gas model that suits your specific needs without any adjustment or having to give up on any feature. When it comes to electric or battery models, limited options are available to choose from.
What is the Safest Way to Use Gas Chainsaw?
As per recent statistics, over 100,000 chainsaw related injuries occur every year in United States of America. So, you should never be careless while using a chainsaw. Operating chainsaw is a dangerous task which can be fatal if they are not experienced or if proper safety precautions are not undertaken.
First thing to always to consider is to check the manufacturer and owner’s manual instructions. It is helpful to use, operate or maintain the chainsaw safely.
- For example, when you have to prune or fell trees, you should always make sure the area where you are working should be clear. And make sure to handle the pruning or felling task only when there is high winds or other severe weather conditions.
- Before cutting the tree or its branches, make sure they don’t fall on property like homes, cars or even power lines.
- Make sure to use PPE every single time. This protection gear includes heavy work boots, thick pants and sleeves, chainsaw chaps, heavy work gloves, hardhat, eye and ear protection. Remember that it is always better to be safe than sorry.
- Always keep the chainsaw either on the ground of between the legs (and the blade part should face outward). Make sure to grip the handlebar, press throttle trigger and start pulling the rope to engage.
- After giving a few pills, it will pop but it will not start. In that time period, you have to disengage the choke and pull the rope starter again. Make sure set the saw idle by tapping throttle trigger before operating.
- While operating the chainsaw, beware of your balance and footing. Because any mis-steps or slips can be fatal and dangerous in least.
- Be cautious of pinching and kickback, position of the saw, and bar tip. Use a firm two-handed grip and balanced stance. Take good care and maintenance of the machine between the uses. This not only keeps you safe but also makes sure the machine is durable and long lasting.
Things to Avoid While Using a Gas Chainsaw
- Never use a chainsaw that has loose, damaged or missing parts.
- Avoid drop starting the machine if you are controlling it only with one hand or when the chain is touching any part of your or other human body.
- Don’t make any adjustments to the chain or part of the chainsaw while in operation.
- Never leave the chainsaw unattended, especially there are pets and kids running around.
- It is prevented to use a chainsaw when you are alone. It is better to have a partner nearby to maintain the work area clear while you pruning or felling trees.
If you are a beginner, make sure to take chainsaw safety classes. You can sign up for them at any local extension service offices. There are several people who can give your proper advice and hands-on guidance on how to work with chainsaw comfortably.
How to Prepare Gas and Oil Mixture for a Chainsaw?
If you are considering to mix fuel by yourself, then make sure you have a fuel container with cap, two stroke engine oil, and high octane fuel of your choice.
While mixing the gasoline with oil, the ratio has to be 40:1 or 50:1 based on the manufacturer guidelines. Gasoline with higher octane will burn much slower and also run cooler in 2-cycle motors which are commonly found in gas-powered chainsaws.
We recommend to use premium gasoline of at least 89 to prevent any piston seizure of elevated temperature. To extend the shelf life, it is recommended to add fuel stabilizer, especially if you are not going to use it over couple of months or more.
Note: If you are experiencing any trouble with measurements while mixing the gasoline mixture, you can go for childproof, premixed gasoline container with stabilizer, oil, and gasoline. They are available in equipment and tool stores. These containers come with measurements or marks.
Though, the chainsaw contains a different reservoir for chain and oil, don’t misunderstand it with oil that is required by your engine. Chain and bar oil are especially present for chains as it has to glide over the guide bar. The oil lubrication keeps it from binding up or overheating.
How to Maintain or Take Proper Care of Chainsaw
Just like any other machine or device, basic care and regular maintenance is important to maintain the shelf life. To maintain it properly, all you have to do it invest a little bit of time after every use.
- Make sure you are using gasoline with proper combination ratio of oil and gas. Remember you are using chain and bar oil to ensure engine is running properly and smoothly.
- After every use, make sure to clear all the sawdust and other dirt that has accumulated to oil ports, guide bar grooves, stick and around power sprocket.
- Check out the chain sharpness as dulled edges will work less efficiently. Make sure to place the strain on motor so that is can run longer to complete the task. Make sure to check for any damage, wear and bad links.
- Regularly check and clan the air filter and spark plug. In order to make the engine work smoothly, proper air flow is important which can be achieved by a clean spark plug with correct gap. If the spark plug or air filter are dirty, then it can strain the engine and prevent it from starting.
- It is important to replace the fuel once in every 2 months. For a clean running engine, make sure to clean the fuel filter regularly. In order to do that – drain the tank, fish out the screen and wash it using a solvent before replacing.
- Check out the chainsaw and its parts are clean as required. Perform a periodic cleaning and adjustment on cooling fins, oiler, carburettor and exhaust system.
Best Chainsaw Brands
There are several brands to choose from but not everyone is trustworthy. Below we have provided some reliable brands with reviews.
- Stihl – it has over 90 years of experience in manufacturing power tools. They primarily focus on chainsaws. It is considered a trusted brand by people because of functionality and reliability.
- Husqvarna – This brand is actually the main foundation of power tools. It has been a producer of outdoor equipment for over 329 years.
- Remington – It was founded in 1921 and has become popular by word of mouth and producing reliable and high quality products. They have been one of the top brands in the market.
- Craftsman – It started in the year 1920s. because of its quality, it has come a long way in the development of chainsaws over the year. It has become a common household name when it comes to chainsaws.
While gas chainsaws are much louder when compared with electric options, these usually offer much better performance. Therefore, these are quite popular among professional lumberjacks and you can find a lot of options out there. Hence, we have mentioned some of the best options in this article along with their differences and a detailed buying guide. But, if you are still confused and can’t find the perfect gas chainsaw, here are some of our recommendations:
- If you want a highly powerful gas chainsaw, then you can go with the Husqvarna Gas Chainsaw. As per its name, it comes with a large 24-inch cutting blade that is much larger than other options present in this article. And this blade is powered by a 60.3 CC engine that is quite powerful for most users. Since Husqvarna is a highly reputable brand, you also get a great build quality and a 2 year warranty period.
- While Echo Ope is a popular brand of power tools and chains, the Echo Ope Gas Chainsaw is the most reliable and durable options present in this article. This is due to the reason that apart from offering a great build quality, you also get a 5-year long warranty with this chainsaw. And since it has a blade size of 16 inches that is powered by a 40 CC engine, you get a great balance between size and performance.
- Although, if you are on a budget, and want an affordable gas chainsaw option, then you can go with the Poulan Pro Gas Chainsaw. Since it is a renewed chainsaw and not a brand new product, it has a significantly lower price tag. It comes with a 42 CC engine that is quite powerful for its given compact size. And the compact size and light body of this gas chainsaw make it a great option if you travel with your chainsaw quite a lot.
Make sure to share your thoughts in the comments section. You can also post any questions down there if you have any!