Simulator is software which will execute the program and show the results exactly to the program running on the hardware, if the programmer found any errors in the program while simulating the program in the simulator, he can change the program and re-simulate the code and get the expected result, before going to the hardware testing. Programmer can confidently dump the program in the hardware when he simulated his program in the simulator and got the expected results.
8051 controller is most popular 8-bit controller which is used in large number of embedded applications and many programmers writing programs according to there application. So to test there programs in the software simulators are a way. Simulators will help the e are programmer to understand the errors easily and time taken for the testing is also decreased.
These simulators are very useful for students because they need not to build the complete hardware for testing there program and validate there program very easily in an interactive way.
List of 8051 Simulators:
The list of simulators is given below with there features:
MCU 8051: MCU 8051 is an 8051 simulator which is very simple to use and have an interactive IDE (Integrated Development Environment). It is developed by Martin Osmera and most important of all is that it is completely free. There are many features for this IDE they are
- It supports both C and assembly language for compilation and simulation
- It has in-built source code editor, graphical note pad, ASCII charts, Assembly symbol viewer etc. Also supports number of 8051 IC’s like at89c51, A89S52, 8051, 8052, etc.
- It will support the certain electronic simulation like LED, 7segment display, LCD display etc. which will help in giving the output when you interface these things to the hardware directly.
- It has having tools like hex decimal editors, base converters, special calculator, file converter, inbuilt hardware programmer etc.
- It has syntax validation, pop base auto completion etc.
You can download this tool from http://sourceforge.net/projects/mcu8051ide/files/ .
EDSIM 51: This is a virtual 8051 interfaced with virtual peripherals like 7 segment display, motor, keypad, UART etc. this simulator is exclusively for students developed by James Rogers,. The features of this simulator are
- Have virtual peripherals like ADC, DAC with scope to display, comparator etc.
- Supports only assembly language
- IDE is completely written in JAVA supports all the OS.
- Completely free and with user guide, examples, etc.
You can download this simulator from the http://www.edsim51.com/index.html .
8051 IDE: This simulation software is exclusively for windows operating system (98/xp). The features of this simulator are
- Text editor, assembler, and software simulate in one single program.
- Has facilities like Break point setter, execute to break point, predefined simulator watch window etc.
- It is available in both free version and paid version.
You can download this tool from http://www.acebus.com/win8051.htm .
HTE 8051: HTE 8051 is an 8051 simulator developed for IBM computers. This simulator is mainly used in the DOS environment and uses Intel HEX file for the simulation. We can set break points, step by step execution etc. it provides color display and has tools like hex calculator variable screen display and help window. You can download this software from this webpage: http://www.hte.com/html/8051sim.htm.
MIDE-51: MIDE-51 is a simulator from opcube. It has almost all the feature has mentioned in the above IDE’s. You can download this software from http://www.opcube.com/home.html#MIDE51 .
KEIL: KEIL is the most popular software simulator. It had many features like interactive IDE, supports both C and assembly languages for compilation and simulation. You can download and get more information from http://www.keil.com/c51/.
Some more software’s and respective webpages you can download from