There are a lot of things like ACs and refrigerators that rely on a refrigerant for cooling and their proper functioning. Due to this, it is highly essential to make sure that this refrigerant does not leak and come out. To detect any such issues, there are a lot of refrigerant leak detectors out there that can be selected based on these factors:
- Sensitivity: The sensitivity of your refrigerant leak detector is important to know as high sensitivity leak detectors are required to check for small leaks. While some models are rated at 0.25 oz/year and others at 0.15 oz/year where lower is better.
- Sensor Life: All of these refrigerant leak detectors use a sensor that has a limited life before they stop working. Generally, this sensor life is given as 100 hours or 200 hours with some models, including a sensor life rating in years.
- Battery: Most of the leak detectors available out there are battery powered for ease of use. Because of this, checking the supported battery type as well as battery life are quite important to check since you have to change or charge the battery once it runs out.
You can only fix a refrigerant leak after you have detected it, which makes refrigerant leak detectors highly essential and useful. Thus, today, we are here with some of the best refrigerant leak detectors.
We have also provided all their important details along with a detailed “Buying Guide” in this article. These things can be handy to differentiate between these refrigerant leak detectors and buy the right one for you after following this article until the end.
Best Refrigerant Leak Detectors
|Refrigerant Leak Detectors||Sensitivity||Sensor Life||Warranty||Buy Now|
|Inficon Refrigerant Leak Detector||0.25 oz/year||100 hours||2 years||Check On Amazon|
|Fieldpiece Heated Diode Refrigerant Leak Detector||0.10 oz/year||---||1 year||Check On Amazon|
|Elitech Refrigerant Leak Detector||0.14 oz/year||10 hours||3 years||Check On Amazon|
|LotFancy Freon Leak Detector||0.21 oz/year||50 hours||1 year||Check On Amazon|
|Robinair Refrigerant Leak Detector||0.40 oz/year||---||2 years||Check On Amazon|
Top Refrigerant Leak Detectors Reviews
Inficon is quite a popular brand of AC maintenance and repair products that is known for making all-rounder products just like its refrigerant leak detector mentioned here.
The Inficon 705-202-G1 refrigerant leak detector is present in the 1st position in this article as it can be a great overall detector model for most users. This is primarily possible due to its sensor that has a decent sensitivity rating of 0.25 oz/year. You also get a sensor life of 100 hours that is much better than most other options available out
A great thing about this leak detector is that it comes included with a rugged carrying case. When combined with its 1-year long warranty, you can expect it to easily last for a long time. The included batteries of this leak detector can offer a pretty good battery life. However, the price of this leak detector is a bit on the higher side.
- Sensor sensitivity of 0.25 oz/year
- Sensor life rating of 100 hours
- Comes with a 2-year long warranty
- Includes a rugged carrying case
- Decent sensor sensitivity with decent life
- Long warranty period
- Great build quality with a compact form factor
- Price is a bit high
Just per the name, Fieldpiece makes heavy-duty tools and equipment that are ideal for heavy-duty usage because of their performance and sensitivity numbers that the user gets.
Fieldpiece’s SRL8 heated diode refrigerant leak detector is present in the 2nd position in this article as it is the best performing option present in this article. When compared with different leak detectors available out there, this one has a much better sensor. It offers a sensitivity of 0.10 oz/year, which is just perfect for industrial usage where accuracy is highly important.
Since it is made for industrial usage, it can easily detect almost all CFC, HFC, HCFC, along with most of their possible blends. Another great thing about this refrigerant leak detector is that it offers a rechargeable battery that lasts for 15 hours on a single charge so that you do not have to buy multiple batteries.
Unfortunately, this refrigerant leak detector does not come with a sensor life rating, which might be an issue for most users out there.
- Sensor sensitivity of 0.10 oz/year
- Battery life rating of 15 hours
- Comes with a 1-year long warranty
- Ready to use in 30 seconds
- Works with most CFCs, HFCs, HCFCs
- Includes a replaceable battery
- Offers a high sensitivity rating
- Does not mention any sensor life rating
In comparison with other brands, Elitech is a brand of refrigerant equipment tools that are known to be highly durable and reliable, including this refrigerant leak detector mentioned here.
This Elitech ILD-200 Advanced refrigerant leak detector is present in the 3rd position in this article as it is the most durable and reliable option present in this article. Most of the refrigerant leak detectors mentioned in this article comes with a 1 year or a 2-year long warranty. But this one comes with a 3-year long warranty which is much longer. Another great thing about this leak detector is that it has a sensor life rating of 10 years that is much higher than others.
Talking about its sensor sensitivity, it is rated at 0.14 oz/year that is quite good for most users out there. If you want, this sensitivity can also be adjusted between 3 different levels so that you can use it as per your needs. A great thing about this is that it comes with a carrying case that is quite sturdy and allows you to take it with you anywhere you want easily.
- Sensor sensitivity of 0.14 oz/year
- Sensor life rating of 10 years
- Comes with a 3-year long warranty
- Includes a rugged carrying case
- Highly durable and reliable
- Adjustable sensitivity for precision
- Includes a TFT screen on the front
- A bit on the expensive side
LotFancy is a brand that makes different kinds of testing tools and equipment that are quite affordable and can be a great option if you are on a budget.
The LotFancy Freon refrigerant leak detector is the cheapest and most affordable leak detector present in this article. Despite being an affordable option, it can easily detect most refrigerants, including CFCs, HCFCs, and HFCs, so that it can be used in most cases. As for its sensitivity, it is rated at 0.21 oz/year that is quite high for the given price.
While you get a decent warranty of 1 year for the given price, its sensor life rating of 50 hours is a bit low. Thankfully, the given battery life rating of 50 hours is quite high. Since it has a rechargeable battery, you do not have to replace batteries again and again.
- Sensor sensitivity of 0.21 oz/year
- Sensor life rating of 50 hours
- Comes with a 1-year long warranty
- Battery life rating of 50 hours
- Affordable and budget price tag
- Decent sensor sensitivity rating
- Works with most refrigerants
- Sensor life rating is a bit low
You can find a lot of air conditioner and refrigerant related products from Robinair that offer multiple handy features to the user.
Robinair’s TIFXL-1A refrigerant leak detector is quite a handy detector mainly due to its flexible sensing tip that can be bent for access in small corners. Another great thing about this tip is that it is 14 inches long for ease of use while using this refrigerant leak detector. Talking about functioning, it has an advanced digital signal processor that can update up to 2K times/second.
Since this is from a popular brand, it comes with CE approval and UL classification for standardized and right results. It is powered by 2 c-cell battery that is rechargeable so that you do not have to change again and again. Unfortunately, the sensor sensitivity rating of 0.40 oz/year is quite low, especially when compared with other options out there.
- Sensor sensitivity of 0.40 oz/year
- Comes with a 2-year long warranty
- 14-inch long flexible sensing tip
- Updates up to 2K times/second
- Comes with a flexible sensing tip
- Offers a decent warranty
- Uses a high-performance processor
- Low sensor sensitivity rating
Buying Guide for the Best Refrigerant Leak Detector
Just per the name, a refrigerant leak detector gets used for detecting and informing you about any refrigerant leaks. These leaks might occur in your fridge or even in an AC unit in certain circumstances. And thus, we have mentioned the best refrigerant leak detectors in this article. To help you in choosing the right one, we have also mentioned their major features and options.
That being said, if you are still confused about these leak detectors, then this detailed buying guide is just for you. This buying guide for the best refrigerant leak detector will take you through all of the factors that you would want to know before getting one. In other words, make sure to follow this buying guide until the end:
1. Detector Sensitivity
If you want a given refrigerant leak detector to work properly, then it needs to be sensitive enough to detect small leaks. There are a lot of cases when the refrigerant might leak in a very small amount. But even this small amount can affect the cooling performance by a lot over time.
Thus, a given leak detector should be highly sensitive and able to detect small leaks as well. As a result, these refrigerant leak detectors come with a sensitivity rating like 0.25 oz/year or 0.15 oz/year. Out of these two options, the later lower rating is better since it offers higher sensitivity as it can detect much smaller refrigerant leaks.
Generally, these refrigerant leak detectors come with controls that allow you to adjust this sensitivity as per your needs.
2. Sensor Life
Just per the name, a refrigerant leak detector uses a sensor for detecting any refrigerant leaks. Unfortunately, this sensor has a maximum work-life and needs to be replaced afterwards. If you want to use your refrigerant leak detector for a long time, then it needs to have a long sensor life.
In some cases, this sensor life is given in days as 100 days or 200 days. You can also find a few refrigerant leak detectors that offer a much longer sensor life in years. Such leak detectors are made for heavy-duty usage and ideal for long term usage.
3. Battery and Battery Life
A great thing about most refrigerant leak detectors is that they are completely wireless. As a result, you can check for refrigerant leaks without the need to have a power source. They are able to do this since most of them are powered by a battery that powers the sensor as well as the rest of the functional components.
Although, as you would expect, this battery will run out sooner or later. In some cases, this is a replaceable battery and a rechargeable one in others. For both of these cases, checking the battery life that suits your work needs is highly essential. Other than that, checking the battery type is also important so that you can get the correct replacement batteries for your refrigerant leak detector.
4. Supported Refrigerants
If you are familiar with refrigerants and cooling equipment like refrigerators and AC, then you must know that there are a lot of different gases that get used as a refrigerant. Because of this, some specific refrigerant leaks might not be detected by a given detector.
To overcome this issue, you should get a refrigerant leak detector that supports a wide range of refrigerants and detects them properly in case of a leak. Thankfully, almost all refrigerant leak detectors come with a list of various supported refrigerants that you should check. It includes various CFCs, HFCs, HCFCs, and other refrigerant types, as well as their mixes.
Apart from having a long-lasting sensor, the whole leak detector unit also needs to be reliable and durable if you want to keep using it for a long time. And the easiest way to ensure this is to check the warranty offered by your refrigerant leak detector.
Different models come with different warranty periods, which include options like a 1-year long warranty or a 2-year long warranty. When compared, any leak detector that offers a longer battery life is considered to be more reliable and durable.
A few refrigerant leak detectors also come included with a carrying case that can be handy for easily storing as well as taking the detector with you to a remote job site without damaging it.
There might be a few rare cases where the refrigerant of your AC or refrigerator might leak out, which can affect the cooling performance by a lot. To prevent such issues, checking on such leaks is highly important using a leak detector.
Hence, we have presented the best refrigerant leak detectors along with all their details in this article. You can also find a detailed buying guide that will take you through everything related to these leak detectors. But, if you are still confused and can’t choose the right leak detector, consider going with one of the following recommendations:
- The Fieldpiece SRL8 refrigerant leak detector is the most accurate and precise option in this article. You get the best sensitivity rating of 0.10/year with it, which is to be expected at the given price. While there is no sensor life rating, its 1-year warranty is quite decent.
- Although, if you want a highly durable and reliable option, then the Elitech ILD-200 can be a great option for a lot of uses. It offers the highest warranty of 3 years along with a sensor life of 10 years for its 0.14 oz/year sensor, which is much higher than what you will ever need.
- Those of you who are on a budget can go with the LotFancy Freon refrigerant leak detector since it is much cheaper than all other options in this article. Despite the lower price tag, you get a decent sensor sensitivity of 0.21 oz/year along with a sensor life of up to 50 hours.
Make sure to share your thoughts in the comments section. You can also post any questions down there if you have any!