For an electrical professional would understand how important a clamp meter is in their day to day operations. This electrical instrument will help measure the flow of the current in any conductor with no direct contact.
Given how important this tool is, you can take no chances on its quality and there should NOT be any compromises on picking the best clamp meter. In this article, we are going to list down some of the best digital clamp meters there are and we have curated this list based on a few key factors such as
- Safety: Safety is the utmost and top factor that you need to check for in a clamp meter. As the entire point of a clamp meter is remove the physical contact between the hands and the conductor, make sure that the clamp meter in question has the highest of the safety ratings.
- Convenience: The convenience of a Clamp Meter involves the smartphone compatibility, the screen size and other factors as such which would improve the ease of use of the clamp meter. The more the better is your choice.
- Clamp Size: The third key factor that you would be considering is the clamp size. The larger the clamp size, the longer can you measure the conductor. Clamp sizes vary from 17 mm to 45 mm and your choice would depend on how large your conductors are at your workplace.
Apart from these three factors, there are a bunch of other factors that you might want to consider while purchasing a Clamp Meter. We have included all of those in the “Buying Guide” section of the article. Be sure to check that out as well. Now without any further ado, let us jump in and review the best digital clamp meters
Best Clamp Meters
|Clamp Meter||Ampere Rating||Warranty||Buy Now|
|Fluke Clamp Meter||1000 Amps||3 Years||Check On Amazon|
|Milwaukee Clamp Meter||400 Amps||5 Years||Check On Amazon|
|Fieldpiece Clamp Meter||440 Amps||N.A||Check On Amazon|
|UEi Test Clamp Meter||600 Amps||3 Years||Check On Amazon|
|Etekcity Clamp Meter||600 Amps||2 Years||Check On Amazon|
|Uni-T Mini Clamp Meter||N.A||N.A||Check On Amazon|
|Klein Tools Clamp Meter||600 Amps||N.A||Check On Amazon|
|Ideal Industries Clamp Meter||600 Amps||2 Years||Check On Amazon|
|AstroAI Clamp Meter||600 Amps||3 Years||Check On Amazon|
|Kaiweets Digital Clamp Meter||600 Amps||3 Years||Check On Amazon|
10 Best Clamp Meters Reviews
First on our list is a highly rated and reviewed AC and DC clamp meter by Fluke. The Fluke 376 FC 1000A is a 1000 Amperes rated Clamp Meter. This Clamp Meter is smartphone compatible.
- Bluetooth enabled Clamp Meter that can be connected to a smartphone easily
- Read measurements from afar through the smartphone without needing to wear any PPE or nearing your meter.
- Can also be connected to the smartphone through the fluke connect measurements
- The clamp meter can capture intermittent faults while also performing other tasks in real-time
- Stores the recorded results both on the phone and also on the cloud
- Can share the results via email and other modes in real-time
- Measure true RMS Voltage and Current levels accurately even on non-linear signals
- Comes with iFlex that makes measurements in tight locations easier.
- Comes with a lengthy cable for easier measurements outside the arc flash zone
- Has logging capabilities that would help in troubleshooting any intermittent faults
- Real-time report creation and sharing to the team without needing to leave the field
- Comes with a neat dust free cover case for storage
Warranty: Comes with a 3 years manufacturer’s warranty from the date of purchase
- Could have included a tiny LED light for easier use in dark areas
Next on our list is a product from the house of Milwaukee. The Milwaukee 2235-10 is a mid-ranged and moderate duty 400 Amperes rated DC Clamp meter with great reviews and ratings.
- Easy to use and durable in build, the clamp meter is made in Taiwan
- Has a 600 Volt rating for both AC/DC and rated CAT 3 for safety category
- Can calculate the True RMS (TRMS)
- Has a current rating of 400 Amperes and a maximum resistance of 4000 ohms
- Auto calibration available which makes it easier to calibrate and use the machine fast and quick on the field
- Includes a built-in flash LED work light that makes it easier to work in tight and dark spaces
- The jaw size of the machine is 1 inch and comes with a black on white display
- Package includes on two AA batteries and an electrical test lead set (black and red)
Warranty: Comes with a massive 5 years manufacturer’s warranty from the date of purchase
- The screen could have had a backlight
- Not so suitable for heavy-duty operations
- No smartphone compatibility
Next item on our list is the Fieldpiece SC440, a True RMS Clamp meter that can also measure temperature, the inrush current and the conductive resistance of the conductor attached to it. Much like most of the products on our list, this one too is highly rated and reviewed.
- Dual Display Clamp Meter that has a True RMS display
- Can display the inrush current on the dual display
- Can be hanged on any metallic surface thanks to the heavy-duty magnet and helps measure the conductivity
- The device can accurately read VAC and AAC readings on the VFDs thanks to the True RMS
- The screen is backlit and also has an automatic and manual ranger as well
- Comes with a range of safety features that also include high-voltage LED and a beeper as well.
- Can measure temperature and capacitance including the microamps of the DC too.
- The device can withstand rigorous HVACR values and levels
Warranty: There seems to be a warranty available for the device but there is no mention of the duration
- Not smartphone compatible
- No mention of warranty duration
The UEi Test Instruments DL369 is also a mid-level digital clamp-on meter that has the same design schematics and uses cases much like the Fieldpiece model mentioned above.
- Mid-range clam on the meter with a maximum ampere rating of 400 Amperes
- Can detect voltage levels from 24 Volts to 600 Volts on non-contact AC
- Can measure frequency and duty cycles
- Good enough for continuity and diode tests
- Comes with a dust-free pouch and a couple of test leads as well (red and black)
- Has a maximum capacitance of 4000 MicroFarads and 2000 microfarads for AC/DC
- Maximum resistance capacity stands at 40 Million Ohms
- Automatic power on and power off
- Includes 2 AA batteries in the packaging
- Dual screen (but no backlight)
Warranty: Comes with a 3-year limited manufacturer’s warranty from the date of purchase
- No smartphone connectivity
- No backlight on the dual-screen
One of the most affordable clamp meter, the Etekcity is more of a Digital Multimeter than a direct clamp meter. It is highly rated and reviewed and can test voltage, resistance, continuity and much more.
- Simple to use Digital Multimeter for home level small projects and mid-level conductivity measurements as well.
- Can measure up AC and DC Voltage levels but when it comes to measuring Resistance, the device can only measure AC current resistance.
- Also usable for providing diode tests and continuity tests
- The Jaw style opening is the clamp that is used to measure the AC current. The 26 mm large jaw can measure conductivity easily without interrupting a circuit.
- Can hold onto the read measurement and data of the max reading.
- Large single LCD screen (but no backlight available on the screen)
- Automatic shut off after 15 minutes of inactivity thus saving energy
- The package includes a pair of test leads (red and black) 2 AAA batteries (150 hours lifetime) and a dust free carry pouch as well.
Warranty: The device has a 2-year manufacturer’s warranty from the date of purchase. It also has a 1-year buyer assurance with a free option to extend it by one more year. Also, it comes with a lifetime free US-based support team as well based in California.
- No dual screen
- No smartphone connectivity
- No LED accessory
The Uni-T B4Q094 UT210E is a True RMS calculating capable AC/DC mini clamp meter with M and W capacitance tester. A highly rated and reviewed product, it comes with a very reasonable price tag as well.
- A mid-range machine that has a 17 mm jaw range of capture.
- Can perform diode testing and also continuity testing too.
- Has a maximum input impedance of 10 Million Ohms for DC Voltages
- Can withstand resistance of 20 Million Ohms
- Can measure a capacitance of maximum 20 milli Farads
- The package includes a pair of test leads (red and black) and 2 1.5 volt batteries.
Warranty: There appears to be no warranty on the product anywhere
- Lacks heavy-duty function
- No warranty
- No proper customer support
Next on our list is Klein Tools’ clamp meter. This is one of the highly rated clamp meters on our list with automatic ranging and advanced digital functions. The clamp meter is perfect for personal and commercial use.
- Provides great accuracy with the automatically ranging true mean squared technology.
- Measures AC/DC voltage, frequency, resistance, capacitance, continuity, and test diodes.
- Has a low impedance mode to detect and eliminate stray or ghost voltages.
- Comes with a thermocouple probe that measures temperature.
- Operates at temperatures between the range of 320 F and 1040 F.
- Indicates when the battery is low and you can access the battery compartment conveniently to replace the batteries.
- LCD display comes with 6000 counts
- Capable of withstanding a drop of 2 meters without sustaining any damage.
- Has a high safety rating with its double insulation feature.
- The package includes a carrying case, 41 inches test leads, thermocouple with adapter, and alkaline batteries
Warranty: This clamp meter does not come with any warranty
- Not compatible with smartphones
- No warranty period
With 100 years of brand history, next on our list is a product from the house of IDEAL. The Ideal Industries Inc’s 61-746 Clamp meter is a medium duty 600 Ampere device with great reviews and ratings
- The device comes with a 600 amperes and 600 volts rating for non-contact measurement.
- The jaws of the clamp meter are tapered jaws that have a hook tip which makes it easy to use.
- A nifty screen that has data hold feature to keep the measured information stored away
- Runs on two 1.5 V “AAA” batteries which are included in the package.
- Automatic shut down feature to save battery. The device will shut down after 10 minutes of inactivity.
- There is also a low battery indicator on the screen
- CAT III safety compliant
Warranty: The Clamp Meter comes with a 2 years manufacturers’ warranty from the date of purchase.
- No smartphone compatibility
Next on the list is yet another multimeter based clamp meter. This one, the Astro AI multimeter can measure everything from resistance to continuity and temperature at a nominal rating.
- The multimeter can measure True RMS voltage and currents
- Can be used to measure both AC and DC voltages up to 6000 counts
- This clamp meter can measure frequency, capacitance and also run diode and capacitance tests as well.
- The LCD is crystal clear and high definition enough to read up the values generated. It is also backlit thus making it easy to work in dark spaces as well
- Quick in function and operating. The jaw opening is about 42 mm in size and can clamp up large conductors easily
- High sampling speed of about 2 times per second making it very fast in reading and measuring the data.
- Has a low battery level indicator as well.
Warranty: The clamp meter comes with a 3 years manufacturer’s warranty from the date of purchase.
- Could have had higher current ratings
- Could have had smartphone compatibility
This KAIWEETS HT206B digital AC clamp meter & multimeter with a true RMS (6000 counts) that widely used to measure alternating current, AC/DC voltage, capacitance, duty cycle or frequency, resistance and diode, continuity and temperature tests accurately.
- Comes with a 600-volt rating for both AC/DC and rated CAT 3 for safety category.
- It is a one-hand operation and can calculate the true RMS (6000 counts).
- Simple to use digital Multimeter auto-ranging for home level small & mid-level projects.
- The jaw is marked with maximum current and voltage measured value.
- It is small, lightweight and easy to carry around while working.
- Non-contact voltage (NCV) detection will check electrical status without touching wires.
- No operation within 15 minutes, then the clamp meter will switch off automatically.
- Its FUNC button will switch between different measurements of AC & DC.
- Has a built-in flash LED work light that allows you to work in dark or tight spaces.
- The jaw size of the device is 1-inch and comes with a black on white display.
- Two-color backlit LCD display and has low battery indication to replace batteries.
- The K-type thermocouple will let you measure temperature in liquid, gas and solid particles.
- 2 AAA batteries, dust-free cover, and an electrical test lead set (red and black) are included in the package.
Warranty: Comes with a 3 years manufacturer’s warranty from the date of purchase.
- No smartphone compatibility
- No dual screen and specifically measures AC current.
Buying Guide: How To Pick The Best Clamp Meter
Clamp meters are electrical instruments that can measure the flow of current in any conductor. These devices improve the safety from the traditional method of measuring the current flow (which is cutting a live wire and measuring the current flow through inserting a test lead on the circuit).
Owing to the dangers involved in this method, a clamp meter was introduced. A clamp meter uses the principle of the current transformer. The clamp in the clamp meter picks up the magnetic flux and measures it and then shows you the reading of the current on a screen.
Basically, Clamp meters are of two types
1. AC Clamp Meter
These are devices used to specifically measure AC current
2. DC Clamp Meter
Multipurpose devices which can measure both DC current and AC currents as well.
A DC clamp meter mostly uses the Hall Effect sensor for the accurate measurement of the current.
In this buying guide, we are going to list down some of the most important factors that you might want to consider before you end up buying a Clamp Meter.
Factors To Consider While Buying a Clamp Meter
The first and foremost thing that you need to consider in a clamp meter is the level of safety it provides. This can be easily understood by looking at the build material and the build quality of the device. Higher overall voltage, current and resistance ratings the device has, the safer it is. Also, safe devices come with a wide range of regulatory certifications and these assurances scream of safety.
2. Clamp Size
The clamp size refers to the opening ends of the machine which are the actual holders using which you would hold on to the conductor. These openings range from a simple 17 mm to about 45 mm as well. Clamps come in variable sizes as well. They can be tuned up or down on the range of the sizes.
They are open-ended and can be expanded or contracted so that the conductor fits in and are mostly hands-free (to make sure you do not need to physically touch the conductor, Moreover, most of the times, clamp meters come with non-contact voltage detectors that would first test wire of its conduction by wrapping the clamp around it. This is how you check the circuit of its conduction without touching it.
3. Maximum Resistance Limit
Measured in Ohms, the resistance of a clamp meter is a measure of how much can the device stop the flow of the current. This will give you an idea of how difficult it is for the current to flow through the conductor.
Most clamp meters come with a maximum resistance limit of about a minimum of 4 Kilo Ohms or so but there are models with as high as 10 kilo-ohms as well. If you are dealing with heavy conduction instruments, then you might want to go with high resistance as high as 20 kilo-ohms as well. If you are buying the device for local usage, a small resistance is fine.
4. Backlit Screen
As most of these electrical jobs take place in dark areas, it might be difficult to see the readings of the screens thus having a screen with backlight is a great feature. This will make the measurement of the conduction very easier. Pick a product with a backlit screen as not every screen of a clamp meter has a backlight.
5. Crest Factor
The crest factor of a clamp meter refers to the measurement of the current waveform. You can get this value by checking with the peak value of the current against the Root Mean Square Value (RMS Value). This is vital in the assessment of the circuit overloads. Thus be sure that you have a direct measurement reading metric on screen for this value
6. Smart Phone compatibility
Most of the modern-day digital DC clamp meters come with compatibility to smartphones through Bluetooth or near IR communication. This enables you to install a simple application and does not need you to be physically near to the device or the screen to view the measurements.
This is not only a highly safe method but also a highly efficient one as the smartphone can also help you tune and toggle the machine further for many conveniences. These also include cloud storage, real-time report sharing and email correspondence as well.
Not every clamp meter comes with a warranty clause or window but branded and high-quality Clamp meters come with at least 1 year of manufacturer’s warranty from the date of purchase. A few brands go as far and even give you a 3-year manufacturer’s warranty as well.
8. Max Ampere rating
This refers to how much of the current rated the device is and will help you determine how heavy duty the clamp meter is. A 1000 Ampere rated machine might be heavy-duty and small and home use or small project devices come with about 300 ampere or 400-ampere ratings. Your choice would be dependent on your need.
9. Additional Accessories
A clamp meter with additional accessories such as a tiny LED light, a neat dust-free cover or a few alligator clips or points would be of great assistance mostly as you would be working on a field far away from your conventional toolbox.
To summarize it all, the Fluke clamp meter is the best pick of all the mentions in the list today. It is a heavy-duty, clamp meter that is smartphone-enabled, can record and store sessions on cloud, 1000 Ampere rating and truly versatile and most of all come with a 3 years manufacturer’s warranty. All of these features make it the best clamp meter to buy.
While these are our picks, we would like to know which one did you like? Do you want us to add or remove any listing? If so, feel free to write to us in the comments section below and our product expert team will write back to you as soon as possible.