Be it for gourmet cooking or soldering metal joints, butane is an efficient tool to invest in.
Butane Torch is one of the versatile tools and must-have accessory in any tool kit. It is suitable for different applications including gourmet cooking, jewelry making, small welding applications, melt frozen pipes and others.
It is easy to use and can blast flames with a temperature up to 1430°C (2500°F), which is quite enough to melt various metals like copper, silver, and aluminium. This powerful handy tool is lightweight and can range about 10-inches long.
Before investing in this butane tool, we recommend you consider the following main factors.
Usually, butane torch lighters are ignited either with auto-start or manual start. Auto-start torches are ignited and extinguished easily with a simple press of a button. Manual start torches have to open and close the valve for igniting and using them. So, choose them wisely.
Burning Time –
It is the length of time a given butane torch burns on a full fuel tank, as it depends on its fuel capacity and fuel-burning efficiency. The burning time range will be from 30 minutes to 1 hour (for standard torch) and 3 – 5 hours (for industrial torches). Based on your needs and budget, you have to choose the product.
The quality of the butane torch will vary on the material used to build them. For instance, heavy-duty torches offer a sturdy cast-aluminum body with a brass nozzle, while light-duty models have metal or plastic bodies with brass nozzle.
There are so many things to consider for buying your best butane torch, which is explained in the detailed “Buying Guide”. Also, we are here with a list of some Best Butane Torches in 2021.
Read on the guide and select the right one from this list of products that perfectly suit your requirement.
Best Butane Torch
|Butane Torch||Flame Temperature||Burning Time||Gas Capacity||Weight||Buy Now|
|Blazer Butane Torch||2500° F||35 minutes||35 grams||12 ounces||Check On Amazon|
|Bernzomatic Torch||1300°C||1.5 – 2 hours||14.1 ounces||5.7 pounds||Check On Amazon|
|Sondiko Butane Torch||1300 °C/2372 °F||-||10 grams||9.9 ounces||Check On Amazon|
|Dremel Butane Torch||2000°F||75 minutes||-||1.54 pounds||Check On Amazon|
|Power Probe Micro Butane Torch||2500°F||2 hours||-||8 ounces||Check On Amazon|
|Bernz- O -Matic Butane Torch||2000°F||30 minutes||-||6.4 ounces||Check On Amazon|
|Tencoz Kitchen Cooking Torch||2370°F/1300°C||30mins||-||9.6 ounces||Check On Amazon|
7 Best Butane Torch Reviews
This Blazer GT8000 butane torch comes with refillable gas. This torch has brass frame nozzle and attachable base. Its precise flame from the nozzle head will allow direct application of heat to the object and can be used for various purposes like plumbing, soldering, brazing, jewelry making, dental, culinary, etc. The anti-flare nozzle will provide safety and flame control.
It is designed to low blow out even when used in various positions, especially where it is difficult to access or limited space. The angled head, and attachable tabletop base will allow you to have hands free operation. The gas flow adjustment dial will help to control the flame length. It uses piezoelectric ignition system, based on pressurized molecular reaction without any electrical connection.
It has a burn time of about 35 minutes and a flame temperature of 2500-degrees F at maximum fuel volume with gas capacity of 35-gram. The flame range will be 1.25 – 5 inches. It comes with manual lock when not using. It comes with dimensions of 7.5 (L) X 5.25 (W) X 2 (D) inches and weighs 12 ounces. It has a black finish and operates with a standard butane canister (sold separately).
Things we liked:
- It has compact and portable design with wind resistant flame.
- Comes with a burn time of about 35 minutes.
- Easy to use even in confined spaces for precise and detailed operation.
- Designed specially for industrial / professional use.
- Has ignition safety lock for risk-free operation.
Things we didn’t like:
- The quality of the adjustable flame control dial is not up to the mark.
- A little bit pricey product.
This Bernzomatic TS8000 Torch with attachment comes with an automatic on / off ignition that let you lighten up any flame easily with one-handed operation. It is ideal to use for light welding, soldering, heat treating and brazing. You can also use this torch even for a larger diameter due to its ultra-swirl flame, which provide maximum heat output.
The searzall is a handy attachment used to secure top of the torch and thereby creates the perfect temperature required to perform the operation. The torch is coated in palladium that has oxidation and temperature resistance. Whatever purpose like soldering piping, starting campfires and wood stoves, or lighting firework, you should have this handy tool.
Use MAP-Pro fuel (14.1 oz MAP-Pro hand torch cylinder) to refill this torch. It is made with cast aluminum material for durability. The pressure regulated to attain consistent performance while tilted or momentarily inverted. The adjustable flame control knob will allow you to increase or reduce the flame size/intensity along with ease in switching between different applications. For safety, this torch comes with lock button that keep the torch ignite for finger – free operation.
Things we liked:
- Made with cast aluminum that makes it strong and durable.
- Has instant start/stop trigger igniter to operate it easily.
- Lock button for finger free operation.
- Adjustable flame control knob will help you to switch in between different applications by letting you the control of changing the flame size easily.
- It comes with a torch along with an attachment.
- You can also fill the tank with 16.4 oz camping propane gas cylinder tank.
Things we didn’t like:
- The quality control of the product is not up to the mark (poor spark ignition & the gas may leak).
- Poor customer support
If you are looking for reliable butane torch, then Sondiko Store is one of the trust-worthy brands you can invest in. Their butane torch can be used for a wide range of applications that include caramelizing sugar, glazing baked ham, roasting bell peppers, crafts, welding, jewellery making and several others.
This butane torch is equipped with Piezo technology which provides efficient and easy torching at any angle. It has an adjustable temperature for controlling the flame outflow.
Being a portable device, you can carry it anywhere like camping. The temperature produced by this butane torch can go up to 1300 °C/2372 °F.
It comes with a safety lock which prevents accidental ignition. As it has a wide set base, it prevents the torch from falling over. Its strong aluminium body ensures durable and long-lasting use.
Things We Liked:
- Easy to operate
- High temperature
- Adjustable flame
- Safe and durable
- Safety lock mechanism
Things We Didn’t Like:
- Doesn’t hold much fuel
This butane torch will produce variable temperature and comes with flame control option for both standard flame operation and torch. This portable handy tool is used for various applications like pipe fitting, soldering, shrinking and brazing. The self-ignition button with safety lock and flame lock on will allow you to have continuous hand-free operation for temperature ranges at 2000-degree F.
It has large tank capacity filled with butane gas will allow it to have run time of 75 minutes. It requires lithium ion battery and comes with 2 years warranty. It measures up 13 X 7 X 2.1 inches and weighs about 1.54 pounds. The versatile 9-piece accessory kit contains blower, deflector, flame diffuser, soldering tip, solder, sponge, tin, wrench and storage case.
Things we liked:
- Has large tank capacity and longer run time of 75 minutes.
- The flame control features for both torch and flame operation in various temperatures.
- The premium quality stainless steel material to provide long durability.
- Comes with various features like flame lock-on, quick ignition button, air control knob to adjust flames, filling valve, and flame control slider for setting variable temperature.
- Easy to hold and value for money.
Things we didn’t like:
- The quality of the product/igniter is not up to the mark.
This power probe butane torch comes with an impressive burn time of about 2 hours. It has the capacity to create a continuous flame for up to 0.5 – 2.5 inches with a temperature of 2000-degree F. It comes with various soldering tips and a case to keep all in one place.
It is widely used for soldering, loosening rusted nuts & bolts, wrapping, shrink and other jobs. It is an electronic handy tool that includes accessories like blower tip, hot knife, heat shrink adapter shield, rosin core solder, & solder attachment. This electronic lighter is unreliable at sometimes and may leak fuel.
It is little expensive than other models and one can easily use this kit for small household projects, kitchen and jewelry making but not suitable for large professional tasks. It comes with electronic ignition and flame adjustment and it is easily refillable with butane. Its dimensions are 4.5 X 1.7 X 6.7 inches and weighs about 8 ounces.
Things we liked:
- It comes with long burn time of about 2 hours.
- Has electronic ignition and flame adjustability.
- It comes with small in size and big on application (580 BTU, 120W).
Things we didn’t like:
- A few reported that electronic lighter is unreliable and leakage issue.
- The tips can be difficult to attach
- A little bit pricey product.
This Bernz – O – Matic butane torch kit is a micro torch that is specially designed for fine detail work on the small jobs which require accuracy and precision. It is ideal for construction, heating nails, lighting fireworks, soldering, concrete & metal tools, using a heat gun, etc. Its flame is small but concentrated that offers a fine area of heat to fulfill your requirements. The base which comes with this torch will allow it to stay without falling.
One can easily lock the flame for detailed manipulation while soldering and the flame can easily set to any one of the three different settings – hot air blower, fine soldering tip and pencil flame. It has built-in push button igniter along with hot blower attachment refill valve, continuous run lock button, and spark igniting solder tip. The torch can be refilled with bf9 butane. It is not designed for lifetime usage and comes with 3 years warranty. The flame range will be 0.5 – 1 inch and dimensions are 3 X 6.5 X 9.5 inches and weighs about 8 ounces.
Things we liked:
- It comes in compact and portable design.
- Easy to adjust flames and can set it in three different settings, as per your need.
- Sturdy base will allow it to stay without falling.
- It includes soldering tip and affordable to purchase.
Things we didn’t like:
- Safety switch is somewhat difficult to operate.
- Soldering tip is not replaceable.
Next from our list comes from the brand tencoz which is well known for their reliable products. Their cooking torch is perfect for both professional chefs and home bakers as well. This torch can be used for multiple purposes that include sous vide, flambe, bar cocktails, lighting a fire, dabs, camping, barbeque, cigars and searing meat.
With piezo press ignition, it provides immediate and fast ignition without any hiccups. This torch is capable of providing 6 inches long continuous flame at a temperature of 2370°F/1300°C. It features a gas flow regulator which lets you dial the flame according to your preference.
A gas flow security lock is also provided to prevent any mishaps and accidental ignition. It is equipped with a built-in finger guard which protects your fingers from extreme heat and burns which torching. This torch is made up of using TUV CE certified aluminum and ABS plastic which is ergonomic, sturdy and long lasting.
Things We Liked:
- Ergonomic design
- Easily adjustable flame
- Protective finger guard
- Versatile uses
- Easily adjustable flame
- Professional grade
- Easily refillable
Things We Didn’t Like:
- Customer service isn’t great
What to Consider While Shopping for Best Butane Torch:
Here we have listed some of the key factors that the buyer has to consider while buying a butane torch to make their purchase perfect for their requirement.
Let’s get into the details.
1. Intended Use:
A butane torch comes with a wide range of applications. Large, powerful butane torches are used for plumbing works like sudation joints for copper water lines. Here the torch works at a high temperature of up to 2500°F to melt the solder at pipe connections. Thus, it joins those pipes together.
Also, they are quite useful for kitchen purposes. Small & less powerful butane torches will sear the crust of roasted meat into deep brown (or) can produce a hard, caramelized shell on a crème Brulee. A butane torch used for kitchen purposes will reach a temperature of up to 1500°F.
The built quality of the butane torch varies as per their construction material. For instance, heavy-duty torches come with a durable cast-aluminum body having brass nozzles. Also, some high-end torches can produce multiple flames. While light-duty kitchen torches come with brass nozzles, yet feature plastic and metal construction in the body and handle. So, check out the construction of the butane torch that whether or not, suits your purpose before making its purchase.
Usually, the ignition of butane torches will be either auto-start or manual start. Here the butane torch models with an auto-start ignition are expensive yet easy to use, as they lit and extinguished with a press of a button.
Manual start models are affordable yet more cumbersome to use, as it involves a lot of processes. The user has to open up a valve to start the process by releasing the butane gas through its nozzle and has to use a flint starter to lit the torch. Finally, turn off the torch by closing the valve.
4. Flame Adjustment:
Mostly, we notice a round knob behind the head of the torch, which is quite useful to adjust the flame size. So, to operate the butane torch properly, turn the knob to the left for opening the valve and thereby releases more gas into the nozzle. Close the valve by turning it to right.
However, this flame adjustment knob is essential for the overall torch’s performance. The required flame length will depend on the particular brazing or soldering work to perform at that time. For instance, a shorter flame is required to do detailed jewelry work, while a longer flame is used to braze. So, the flame quality of a torch can be adjusted between ½-inch to 5 inches in length, without extinguishing or spattering.
Here the butane torch should reach a high temperature, in which the benchmark will be 2500°F. Also, the lighter must provide a steady flame even during the wind.
5. Burning Time:
It is defined as the time duration (length of time) of a particular butane torch that burns on a full fuel tank. However, this burning time depends mainly on two factors – its burning efficiency and fuel holding capacity.
A standard butane torch model will offer a burning time of about 30 minutes – 1 hour at full power. Whereas 3 – 5 hours burning time is offered by industrial/commercial torches. Usually, a model with a burning time of 30 minutes is enough for intermittent use. Whereas, a powerful torch is essential to deal with large plumbing projects, as it won’t need any frequent refueling.
So, check out the butane torch models as per your requirement without refilling the butane gas while working with the torch.
Many models won’t offer a better refueling experience, which in turn, won’t work properly. So, check out for a butane micro touch having a secure refueling system, which allows you to refill easily. Also, look for models that offer appropriate refill size, fuel level indicator, and strong base to get extra safety while refueling the torch.
7. Ease of Use:
Flame control and ignition are two main factors that determine the ease of using a butane torch. Here are a few things that help you to know them in detail.
- A butane with a manual start is affordable but frustrating and awkward to use with a flint starter.
- Some torches come with knobs for an easy flame adjustment that enable you to set the size of the flame as per your project requirement.
- Most butane torch models offer detachable bases that allow the butane torch to stand upright on a tabletop to have hands-free usage.
Though it is a flammable tool, it comes with some features to prevent accidents. Usually, auto-start (push-start) butane torches offer safety locks to prevent accidental ignition and thereby avert children from lighting the torch.
Auto-igniting torches are considered the safer option compared to manual torches. The reason is that the manual one needs to open a valve for releasing the butane gas, and the user has to light it. If there is a delay in torch lighting, then the released butane will build up in the air and may produce a burst of flame when it is lit. While an auto-start torch ignites and extinguishes with a simple push of a button and thereby eliminates these hazards.
9. Safety Lock:
A safety lock is essential to consider while choosing the butane torch, as it protects the user from accidental burnouts. It is a useful safety feature for those new to its usage and having small children in the house. This safety lock will prevent leaks when no one is using the torch and avoid accidents while using the torch.
10. Extra Features:
Most of the modern butane torches come with special/extra features that allow you to use them easily for particular applications. For instance, a few models offer gauges to measure the remaining fuel in the torch. Some models have attachments to perform a variety of operations like deflectors for shrinking insulation, diffusers and tips for soldering, and blower tips for paint removal. So, check out those extra features required for your project work.
A butane torch with a lightweight body, ergonomic handle and a detachable base is considered the best design that offers ease of use and convenience. So, while shopping for the butane torch, one has to check the design for added convenience. Here are a few suggestions.
- Pick the one that allows you to do your work silently without much noise while operating the torch.
- Choose a removable base and a non-slip grip to use them conveniently everywhere.
- Choose a model with leak-proof construction and flame controls when you are concerned about safety while operating this torch.
- A model with a larger base will help to prevent accidents and injuries. Most modern torches offer adjustable and detachable bases that let you use the torch either by holding or handsfree device. It prevents collapsing and also allows you to line up easily and heat nails without holding.
The size range of the butane torch will be from 8 – 18 inches, in which your required size to purchase will depend on your work requirement. For instance, choose a small handheld torch while looking for a portable device to carry with you around. While looking for a torch to work at home or garage, then opt for bigger models.
A butane torch with a variety of accessories will let you use them for different purposes (or) by different professionals like chefs, plumbers, automotive repair and DIY enthusiasts. If your butane torch model has a rubberized grip, then it lets you hold the device effectively without slipping, even if your palms are sweaty.
There are numerous models of butane torches available in the market that comes at different price ranges. So, we suggest you compare different features, their built quality and your purpose and then set a budget range. Finally, pick the right one that comes within your budget range (best buy). Never choose the one with various features where you need or won’t need to use them.
Though various brands offer a limited warranty of a year or two, and a few brands offer a money-back guarantee on their products. So, it is essential to check the warranty offered by the manufacturer before buying the butane torch, as it let you work peacefully without worries about its repairs.
Why Do We Require a Butane Torch?
The butane torch is a small, lighter, compact, and portable device used for various purposes/applications without any special efforts. Here are some of its applications mentioned below.
Culinary – Mostly, chefs use butane torch as a kitchen gadget to get the best flavor in vide steak, melting cheese, grilling seafood, caramelizing sugar, toasting bread, baking & general cooking. It sears rich textures and colors on a steak than grilling, as it won’t overcook the center. Also, a perfect option to make a burnt sugar garnish to a dish or for fruit compotes.
Small Repairs – Since these are multi-functional that can be used for either personal or household tasks. They emit flames up to 1430°C that can even melt metals like aluminum and copper. Also, its flame-adjusting regulator will let you set the flame’s intensity. They are used for plumbing repairs, defrosting and thawing frozen pipes, paint stripping, welding, rope cutting, and soldering electronics.
Jewelry Making – This handy tool allows you to create the best quality jewelry, including sterling silver jewelry. Pick a torch with precision metal melting capacity, welding torch, soldering, or one-hand operation while looking for flame-pinpointing accuracy in jewelry making.
How to Refill a Butane Torch:
It is quite common to refill the butane torch occasionally. Here are the simple instructions that you have to follow while refilling the torch.
- Ensure that your torch turns off completely to start this process.
- Before refilling or refueling the torch, drain out the remaining fuel or air from the torch. Here you can feel/hear the fuel or air escaping sound.
- Or simply lock the safety switch to prevent any accidental release of the flame. Also, ensure the gas flow control is turned off properly.
- After these steps, the tool is perfectly ready for refueling/refilling.
- Turn the torch upside down to observe a nozzle used to refuel the device.
- Warm up the gas by shaking the butane canister.
- Insert the filler nozzle of the torch into a canister. Then place the butane gas cylinder straight to the nipple of the torch.
- Insert the tip of the cylinder/filler into the nozzle, and push it to refill the butane gas.
- You notice the nozzle begins to generate pressure instantly and thereby cause a fuel flow into the torch.
- Remove the cylinder/canister from the torch whenever you feel the torch is full, it indicates with a wet spray back.
- Ensure to wait for at least 5 minutes before you start using the torch.
- It is a must to clean the torch area and wash your hands thoroughly before using the torch, as it will prevent any accidental/unexpected firing.
How to Use a Butane Torch:
After knowing its main features, and applications along with its safety issues, you should know how to use a butane torch effectively in daily tasks. Here is the step-by-step process that helps you in the proper usage of this torch.
- Turn on the torch with the lever located on the side. Then turn the gas flow control lever to the right side.
- You may hear a hissing sound of gas blowing out after turning the lever.
- Press the ignition button located at the handle of the torch to produce the flames.
- A few models offer a safety switch to be turn-on before pressing this ignition button.
- If your model has this safety switch, then turn it on to avoid flames produced by accidental pressing.
- Make sure to adjust the thermal heat output to set the proper flame size. For this, turn the lever to the right side (or counter-clockwise), as per the instructions in the manual.
- A few models come with a small button/knob with a click to endure the flame whenever you stop pressing the ignition button.
- Change the gas-flow control lever to its left for turning off the torch.
One has to be careful and follow these safety tips while using this butane torch to make it use safely without any issues.
- Wearing safety glasses is a must for eye protection, even if you wear ordinary glasses while using this butane torch.
- Prefer to wear plain cotton clothes and say no to synthetic clothing when working with this torch. The reason is that synthetic can flare up easily even from flame/fire sparks.
- Make sure to work in a convenient place with proper ventilation, such as a garage with doors or windows.
- It is a must to keep the fire extinguisher at hand to safeguard yourself and your surroundings.
- Make proper use of the flame size regulator of a butane torch. For instance, use a larger flame while soldering and a smaller flame to decorate culinary dishes.
- Check out the safety locks designed especially for beginners and those with children to avoid accidental inclusion.
- The butane torch will get started automatically with a single click on the button without any need to lit the torch yourself.
- Make sure to use the device wisely. For instance, if the torch is designed for industrial purposes, then avoid using it at home.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Ans: Most lighters won’t offer that much heat to melt glass. While, a butane torch is the best solution to melt glass and other materials easily. Yet use a torch burning at a temperature of not less than 2900°F. Also, these torches generate hot flames that are quite enough to melt metals like aluminum, copper, and silver effectively.
Ans: One can easily refill the butane gas by using a butane gas canister/can. Though there are various brands for gas cans, which are easy to use and readily available in the market.
Ans: Generally, butane torch lighters are packed and shipped without gas. Why because this butane gas is an explosive material and may cause any trouble while shipping. So, most of these butane models are shipped without gas in them for safe and effective delivery.
Ans: There are various butane torches that can be used upside down to perform various tasks. But make sure to check out your model to know whether or not it supports this upside-down flame operation before using them in this position.
Ans: However, there are no limitations on the longevity to burn the flame on your butane torch. Most experts suggest you take a break after 15 minutes of continuous usage/burning of butane gas from this torch.
Ans: Yes, of course, one can easily lock the gas flame with a simple press of a dedicated button found on most of the modern butane torch models.
Ans: Some models offer a fuel gauge that allows you to check the level of fuel in your torch. In case, if you are using a butane that won’t have this fuel gauge, then it is not possible to check out the remaining fuel level.
Ans: Generally, butane is considered a flammable gas, which gets evaporated quickly even at room temperature. So, the low-temperature range of 761°F is the normal atmosphere used to burn the butane gas.
Ans: Sure, we can use butane for performing light welding works but not meant to use it for heavy-duty welding works.
Ans: Yes, it is a perfect tool to use for cooking but can be used with caution. Make sure to lit the torch away from food for not to spoil or burn food. Also, adjust the flame to the lowest for perfect cooking and to enhance its flavor.
Ans: Simply empty the butane canisters to recycle them later (or) to pierce them for easy processing. Follow any of these processes to get rid of the old and used butane lighters.
Ans: Absolutely, we can use a butane torch to solder things such as repairing pipes or fixing items around the house. Also, this butane torch produces a temperature that is good enough to melt silver solder.
Ans: The butane torch with a blue flame can reach a temperature of about 4700° – 5400°F will make its hottest point.
Ans: Here is a list of some best brands of butane torch available in the market.
* Power probe
Among the above list of best-selling products, we pick Blazer Butane Torch, as our first and best butane torch. It comes with a torch and attachment and has various features like automatic on / off ignition, aluminum construction, pressure regulated, and adjustable flame control knob. It is ideal to use for light welding, soldering, heat treating and brazing. You can also use this torch even for a larger diameter due to its ultra-swirl flame, which provide maximum heat output.
Which one you’re going to pick in this 2021? Let me know your queries or experience with this butane torch in the below comments section.