Here, we have listed out some important and useful projects based on electronics and communication. These projects are mainly helpful for final year engineering students. These project ideas include projects based on various categories like DTMF, GSM, RF, RFID, Smartcard, etc.
If you are interested, you may check the list of various communication based projects given below. You may write your comments and new project ideas also in comments section. If you have any opinions and suggestions, you are always welcome to visit our contact us page.
Communication using MATLAB
- Intelligent approach to video transmission over 2.4 GHz wireless technology : This paper researches a new method for the transmission of MPEG video over a 2.4 GHZ network using MATLAB. It implements neural-fuzzy controller and a rule-based fuzzy controller in the design. Results show that this method improves the data loss and improves the image quality.
- Grasping money game used in wireless channel resource allocation: With the increase in communication technology many wireless communication devices have been introduced, which crowded the wireless channels. Grasping money game is a technique used for allocating resources in wireless channels. This paper researches on this technique.
Communication Projects using Labview
- Design and Development of Virtual Instrumentation System for Disabled using Labview: This paper develops a virtual system that aids deaf and dumb to communicate with the world. It collects the hand gestures from the user and converts it into a voice using Labview.
- AES-256 Encryption in Communication using Labview: This paper studies a new scheme to enhance security of WPN network. Here AES technique is implemented for encryption algorithm.
Bluetooth Communication Projects
- Bluetooth Controlled Electronic Home Appliances: This project shows controlling of home appliances using Bluetooth technology. This project uses AT89c51 microcontroller for controlling the appliances by taking commands from Bluetooth.
- How To Make Arduino Based Home Automation Project via Bluetooth?: This project shows home automation using arduino via Bluetooth.
GSM Communication Projects
- GSM Based Home Security Alarm System Using Arduino: The project shown here provides security to the home. When any intruder enters home it sends a message to the owner using GSM. Intruder is detected using PIR sensor.
- GSM Controlled Robot using Microcontroller: Here is project showing robot controlled using GSM .Here AT89c51 microcontroller is used for controlling the robot.
- GSM Interfacing with 8051: The main principle of this circuit is to interface a GSM modem with the microcontroller. The microcontroller used is AT89C51 microcontroller.
- Wireless Electronic Notice Board using GSM: This wireless electronic notice board using GSM Technology and microcontroller circuit is used to display the data on LCD whatever we sent from the mobile.
- Remote Industrial Security System: A wireless based industrial security system is designed here. The system is based on GSM communication and the main component is a microcontroller. The main reason for choosing GSM as the mode for communication is the range of GSM is very large and can send and receive signals or messages from any remote place. Some of the sensors used in this system are proximity, light, gas and smoke sensors.
- Centralized Monitoring System for Taxies: Taxis are one of the common modes of transportation in cities. For the safety of the passengers and accurate information about distance and fare, a system is proposed for monitoring taxis. Using this system, police can monitor all the taxis without any hassle. It is based on GPS technology and also uses GSM for sending messages to the customer.
- Wireless Weather Monitoring based on GSM : A wireless weather sensing and monitoring system is proposed here. It consists of different sensors like temperature, humidity, light etc. and displays this information on an LCD. Also, a GSM module is used so that the information can be sent to a remote system via SMS. Using this system, weather can be monitored without actually being present in that place.
- DTMF Controlled Robot without Microcontroller: Here a DTMF controlled robot without any microcontroller is shown.
- DTMF Controlled Home Automation System Circuit: The system shown here automates the home using DTMF technology. This system can control only 16 devices at a time as there are only 16 DTMF tones available in the mobile.
- Restaurant Management System Project: Here is project that shows automation of restaurants. It uses zigbee for communication between the user and server in the restaurant.
- Zigbee Based Defense Robot: This video shows a zigbee controlled defence robot. It is controlled using a PC .This robot collects the information about the enemies and sends it to control room. It then takes the necessary actions like gun shooting according to the instruction given from the control room.
- Wireless Power Transfer: This circuit mainly works on the principle of mutual inductance. This circuit may be used as wireless power transfer circuit, wireless mobile charger circuit, wireless battery charger circuit, etc.
- Street Lights that Glow on Detecting Vehicle Movement: This article describes about the circuit that switches the street lights on detecting vehicle movement and remains off after fixed time. This system controls the street lights using light dependent resistor and PIR sensor.
- DTMF Based Home Automation System Circuit: This is a simple and very useful circuit in our real life named DTMF controlled home appliances system. It helps to control the home appliances using DTMF technology.
- RFID based Attendance System: This simple RFID based attendance system is designed using ATmega8 Microcontroller and is mainly used in educational institutions, industries, etc. where authentication is needed.
- Density Based Traffic Signal System using Microcontroller: In this system, we use IR sensors to measure the traffic density. We have to arrange one IR sensor for each road; these sensors always sense the traffic on that particular road. All these sensors are interfaced to the microcontroller. Based on these sensors, controller detects the traffic and controls the traffic system.
- Remote Control Circuit through RF without microcontroller: Here we have used RF434 MHz modules to make wireless remote. Using this remote, we can control the appliances within the range of 100 meters. It is used for remote control applications like burglar alarm, car door alarm, calling bell, security systems, etc.
- Remote Operated Spy Robot Circuit: This is a simple spy robot circuit which can be controlled by the remote. The maximum controllable range is 125 meters. It is used to observe the behavior of wild animals where human beings cannot reach.
- Cellphone Controlled Home Appliances: This mobile controlled home automation system is designed without using microcontroller. We can also control a robot using this technology by making some modifications.
- Remote Password Operated Electronic Home Appliances: This circuit explains you how to control the electrical appliances using an Android device. Here, Bluetooth module is interfaced to 8051 microcontroller. This Bluetooth receives the commands from the Android application device using wireless communication.
- Metal Detector Robotic Vehicle: Land mines buried under the ground causes threat to the lives and affect the economy of the nation. Detection and removing of these mines manually is a dangerous task. So, we use a metal detection robot which works on RF technology
- Car Parking Guard Circuit Using Infrared Sensor: This circuit helps the person in the driving seat in such a way that it gives an alarm if there is any obstacle or a wall while parking or while driving in reverse. It is very useful in our real life.
- Wireless Switch Circuit using CD4027: This is a simple circuit which needs no physical contact with the appliance. In this circuit, all you need is to pass your hand above LDR to ON or OFF the switch.
- Cell Phone Detector: This is a simple circuit which helps to detect the presence of an activated cell phone by detecting the signals in the frequency range of 0.9 to 3GHz. It helps in mobile phones tracking which are used for spying.
- FM Transmitter Circuit: Here we built a wireless FM transmitter which uses RF communication to transmit the medium or low power FM signal. The maximum range of transmission is around 2 km.
- TV Remote Control Jammer: This proposed TV jammer circuit confuses the infrared receiver in a TV by producing the constant signal that interferes the remote control signal. If you switch on the circuit once, the TV will not receive any command from the remote. This allows you to watch your own program without anyone changing the channel or volume.
- TV Transmitter Circuit: The main principle of this circuit is to transmit the audio and video signals. Here audio signals are frequency modulated and video signals are PAL modulated. These modulated signals are applied for the antenna.
- Transistor Intercom Circuit: This transistor intercom circuit is a simple two way intercom circuit which is used for the dual purpose of sending as well as receiving signals.
- FM Remote Encoder/Decoder Circuit: This is a simple post which shows you how to design FM remote encoder and decoder circuit using RF600E and RF600D ICs. This pair of encoder and decoder ICs establishes the communication with high level security. The operating voltage of these ICs is from 2V to 6.6V DC.
- Interfacing GPS with 8051 Microcontroller: In this interfacing of GPS with 8051 circuit, GPS module calculates the position by reading the signals that are transmitted by satellites.
- IR Audio Link Circuit: This simple IR audio link circuit is used to transmit audio signals wirelessly. This IR audio link is able transmit audio signals up to 4 meters.
- Wireless AC/DC Device control for Appliances Using Remote Control: A simple, small and cost effective equipment for device control is developed in this project. It is a microcontroller based project, which can control both AC and DC appliances with the help of a remote control. It is an RF based communication, so that there is no need for line-of sight contact between the transmitter and the receiver.
- PC Regimented Defense Android Using ZigBee: A ZigBee wireless communication based robotic system has been developed for the usage in military applications. It is a microcontroller based system with wireless camera. This wireless controlled robot assists the defense as a mini-search robot which can detect any unauthorized materials.
- Wireless AC Motor Speed Control Using TRIAC: The application of this project is to wirelessly control the direction of rotation and speed of an AC motor. The wireless network used for the purpose of communication between the transmitter and receiver is DTMF. Since, it is an AC motor, a TRIAC and a TRIAC driver are used.
- Wireless Stepper Motor Control using IR Communication: Stepper motor is one of the frequently used motors in process control, robotics and machine tools. But the wired control, when used in the application of robotics, is not a good idea. Hence, a wireless control of stepper motor is developed here. It is based on infrared (IR) communication with a limited wireless range. The range of the remote can be increased by employing an RF communication link.
- ZigBee based wireless remote weather station monitoring system: The aim of this project is to implement a ZigBee based wireless weather station monitoring system so that it can be monitored remotely without or less human intervention. The reason for using ZigBee technology is it has a standard data rate and the battery life is decent.
- Two-way Wireless Data Messaging System for Rural Areas using ZigBee Technology: Using this project, data can be transmitted securely using ZigBee technology for the application in rural areas. The communication can be two-way communication and the security of the data is of no concern as the protocol of ZigBee communication allows encryption and decryption of the data
- Wireless Stepper Motor Control using RF Communication: This project describes a method for wirelessly controlling the direction and speed of a stepper motor. RF communication is used to control the stepper motor wirelessly. RF transmitter and receiver form the communication link. Because of the RF communication, the range of the wireless network will be significantly larger and the signals can be transmitted even in the presence of any obstacles.
- Wireless DC Motor Speed and Direction Control using IR (PWM and H-Bridge):The goal of this project is to wirelessly control the speed and direction of a DC motor using IR based communication. A combination of PWM and H-Bridge (Motor Driver) is used to get the necessary DC motor speed and direction. A microcontroller is used to generate the PWM signals and also continuously monitor the data from the IR sensors.
- Wireless Electronic Notice Board with Multi Point Receivers using RF Communication System: Notice board is the primary means of communication in public utility places like airports, railway stations, institutions etc. In this project, an RF based wireless electronic notice board is developed. In order to ensure that the data is secure, an encoder and decoder module is used so that the communication is only between the transmitter and the receiver
- ZigBee based Secured Wireless Data transmission and Reception: In this project, a microcontroller based wireless data transmission and reception using the ZigBee protocol is developed. ZigBee uses a 128-bit key security mechanism so that the data transferred using system this will be secure.
- Intelligent Wireless Controller for Oil Wells: The monitoring at oil pump units is mainly manual. In this project, a wireless monitor and control system for oil pumping unit in oil wells is designed. It is a microcontroller based system with ZigBee transmitter and receiver. A network of sensors include, level sensor, voltage sensor and current sensor will form a wireless sensor network that can be monitored remotely.
- Wireless Transformer Monitoring System: Transformers are one of the most common and important electrical equipment. They are located everywhere and are used in consumer as well as industrial purpose. Hence, maintenance of transformers is a huge task. The system developed here will help in monitoring the transformers wirelessly. A network of sensor are integrated to a microcontroller and are communicated via RF communication .
- Wireless Motor Monitoring System: A microcontroller based wireless monitor and control of a motor is developed on this system. Such systems are often used in industrial automation process. The wireless communication is based on ZigBee protocol. The use of ZigBee network will reduce the usage of any wires in the monitoring system
- Wireless Traffic Light Controller: In this project, an intelligent traffic light controller based on wireless communication is proposed. The system works in two modes viz. automatic and manual. A set of patterns are defined in the system so that there is smooth flow of traffic in all the directions.
- Wireless Audio Communication System: The growth of wireless technology in consumer applications is rapid. One such are is audio transmission and reception. In this project, an efficient and low cost system is developed through which audio is transmitted wirelessly using IR communication. The range of the wireless link will be around 10meters.
- Cryptographic Secured Communication Between Army Stations:Communication between army stations should be very safe and secure from alien systems. Hence, the data should be encrypted while transmitting and the same should be decrypted at the receiving station. Cryptography is the best form to encrypt and secure the data. An algorithm is proposed for secured communication between army stations over long distance.
- Remote Controlled Dish Antenna: Antennas are an important equipment is the field of communication. Dish antenna or parabolic antennas are frequently used in many areas of applications. The requirement of the dish antennas is its positioning with respect to the satellite. A system is developed in this project which helps in wirelessly controlling the position of the antenna. A microcontroller is used to control the position of the motors with the help of IR transmitter and receiver.
- Video Signal Transmitter: A system, which can transmit video signals wirelessly, is developed here. The transmitter section transmits the signals in RF range and there can be multiple receiver systems, for example, multiple TV’s can receive the same signal without any wires. The range of the RF communication is about 40 feet
- Wireless Security System: A microcontroller based home security system is developed here. It uses RF signals as the wireless communication standard. It includes a group of sensors like IR sensor, window/door contact sensor and a buzzer. Such system, with additional sensors, can also be used in industrial security applications
- Wireless Voting Machine: Vote is our voice as a citizen of the society. Recent developments in technology has helped in organizing elections in an easy and efficient manner. The aim of this project is to implement an intelligent wireless EVM (electronic voting machine). The communication between the EVM and the records unit is through RF mode.
- Remote Home Security System: The proposed system involves a microcontroller based home security system with remote monitoring. The system includes passive IR sensor, temperature, gas & smoke detector. All these sensors form a wireless sensor network and can communicate with the authorized person via GSM network.
- Wireless Camera Position System: A wireless communication based camera positioning system is developed here. An RF transmitter and receiver are interfaced to a PC and the positioning of the camera is controlled by a microcontroller with the help of a motor driver unit. The communication between the microcontroller and the PC is through RS232 cable.
- Accident Identification System: An intelligent accident identification system location display unit is designed in this project. A microcontroller is used along with ultrasonic sensor, vibration sensor, temperature sensor, accelerometer, fire detector, heart rate monitor and seat belt warning system. All the data from the sensors is collected by the microcontroller and in case of any emergency, the exact location is captured by a GPS module and sent via GSM network.
- Vehicle Tracking System: Vehicle tracking system is becoming an important part in city life for safety and security. This project implements a GPS/GSM based vehicle tracking system. The GPS module continuously monitors the location of the vehicle. The GSM module will transmitted the data in case of any request from the user or accident.
- Fire Fighting Robotic Vehicle: A voice controlled firefighting robot is proposed in this project. The system is capable of detecting fire and alarm a buzzer. The voice commands are transmitted via RF communication link. It is a microcontroller based system with wireless video feed with the help of a camera.
- Tampered Energy Meter Information Conveyed to Concerned Authority by Wireless Communication: The aim of this project is to send a notification to the authority in the event of tampering of energy meter. Energy theft is a serious problem and has to be prevented. A microcontroller based system is designed which monitors the energy consumption and sends a message to the concerned authority using GSM technology. The information about normal energy reading as well as tampering of energy meter is conveyed.
- Wireless Audio Transmitter for TV: The use of wireless technology in household applications brings mobility to the user. One such system is a wireless audio transmitter for TV. In this project, audio signals from TV (or any other device like computer, music player etc.) are transmitted wirelessly using 2.4GHz RF communication to headphones. The range of the designed system is approximately 20meters.
- War Field Spying Robot with Night Vision Wireless Camera: Terrorism is a serious issue the World is facing. The aim of this project is to design a spying robot which can fight terrorists and also in war field so that the human victims can be reduced. This robot has a wireless night vision camera that transmits the video signals even in night time to the base station using RF communication.
- Automatic Wireless Health Monitoring System in Hospitals for Patients: Care of critically ill patients should be spontaneous and accurate. In India, many lives are affected by heart attacks as they do not get timely treatment. The project helps in monitoring the necessary parameters like heart beat rate, body temperature etc. The data is continuously monitored by a microcontroller and can transmit the information using a ZigBee network.
- Wireless Over Temperature Alarm: In this system, the temperature is monitored continuously by a microcontroller and in the event of rise in temperature over the predefined reference level, the alarm goes off. Such system are very useful in industries, where precise temperature should be maintained. The data can be transmitted over wireless communication system like RF or GSM
- Wireless Message Communication Between Two Computers: The main aim of this project is to enable wireless communication between two personal computers. The protocol used for communication is ZigBee. The advantage of ZigBee is that the data transmitted will be encrypted and can be decrypted only by the appropriate receiver.
- Wireless Temperature Monitoring on Remote Seven-segment Display using RF:A wireless temperature monitoring system is proposed here. The main advantage of this project is that it can be used to display the readings on a 7-segment or LCD wirelessly over RF links. The system is a low cost and easy maintenance temperature monitoring device that can be used in industries.
- Wireless Hospital Management System: A Bluetooth based wireless hospital management system is proposed here. With the help of this system, the communication between doctors and nurses’ about patients’ data will be very easy. A dedicated Bluetooth server will collect all the data. The programming is in Python script. The advantage of Bluetooth over Wi-Fi is that there is no chance of any interference with sensitive medical equipment.
- Simple Radar Communication System: A simple radar communication system based project is designed here which has an important application in reducing accidents. A radar system captures the speed of the car and if the vehicle is moving above the speed limit, the number plate is captured and the information is transmitted to the concerned authority. The advantage of radar based system is that it is fast, accurate and also can recognize the number plates very easily.
- File Sharing Using Bluetooth: Peer-to-Peer file sharing helps in sharing data between two devices without any hassle. Bluetooth is one such protocol which is used in P2P file sharing. A system is proposed here which enables all the Bluetooth enabled devices like cell phones, audio players etc. to transfer data. This system allows file sharing with minimum inquiry and connection time.
- Wireless Process Controller: Process in an industry is a method of changing the raw materials in to finished goods. Process control is a method of controlling the process variables. A wireless process monitor and control system is proposed here which is based on network of sensors. The advantage of such wireless sensor network is that there is no need of any cabling, which reduces the time involved in maintenance of the controller and hence more production can be achieved.
- RF based tsunami detection and remote alert system with 60dB siren: The aim of this project is to design a system which helps in tsunami detection and alerts a remote area. A pressure sensor, which is anchored to the sea floor, is used to read the pressure of the water. This data is transmitted to the control station over RF communication link. The advantage of RF communication is there is less interference from other signals.
- Wireless Electrical Apparatus Control System using IR communication: Home automation is a rapidly growing area. An infrared communication based control system for electrical appliances is designed. A microcontroller and a set of relays are used to implement this project. As the communication is based on IR transmission, all the apparatus can be controlled using a remote. The range of the system is limited due to the low range of IR communication. But can still be effective.
- Streetlight Power Cable Monitoring System Based on Wireless Sensor Networks using Zigbee communication: A Zigbee based remote monitoring of street lights is developed. It is a system which provides safety at night time for pedestrians. The proposed system contains a microcontroller, a sensor network and a solar panel associated with ZigBee network. It automatically does the actions of ON/OFF/DIM. In case of power failure, the power from the solar panels is used.
- Zigbee based Wireless Device control for Industrial Atomization: Industrial automation is a very important process as it helps in increasing the production and also maintenance can be very less. This project aims at device control using ZigBee communication. A microcontroller is connected to the ZigBee receiver and controls the associated relays. A similar system using Bluetooth can be constructed but the advantage of ZigBee over Bluetooth is its low power consumption. “
- Wireless DC Motor Speed and Direction Control using RF Communication: The uses and applications of DC motors are huge. They are used in various home, consumer, industrial and research applications. The aim of this project is to provide a wireless speed and direction control of a DC motor. It is a microcontroller based system with H-Bridge for driving the motor. The communication between the user and the controller is via RF link. “
- Wireless Attendance Recorder: The normal way of recording attendance in institutions is either by calling out the name/number of the student or by passing a sheet for signature of the student. It is a time consuming and cumbersome process and the chance for false entries is more. A system is proposed where automatic entry of attendance is provided using Near Field Communication (NFC). The electronic attendance register will start to capture the attendance as soon as the instructor enters a class room. The NFC devices must be with the students.
- ARM Hardware Platform for Vehicular Monitoring and Tracking: The aim of this project is to monitor and track different parameters like location, speed etc. of a vehicle using the GPS module. The tracked data can be sent to a control or monitor station and also to a registered mobile via SMS using GSM technology. Such system can be installed in heavy vehicles like cargo trucks to small cars and bikes for the purpose of security, tracking and surveillance.
- Air Pollution Monitoring System Using Zigbee and GPS Module: The degree of automation in all sectors in increasing rapidly with the growth in technology. In the proposed system, a wireless sensor network of gas sensors are used to monitor different pollutants like Carbon dioxide, Carbon monoxide, Nitrogen dioxide and Sulphur dioxide. A ZigBee based communication is used to transfer this data to a control station along with the locations captured from GPS module.
- Wireless Material Handling Robot Controlled through Zigbee: Manual material handling is a time consuming process and requires more man power. This might affect the production or delivery time of the goods. The purpose of this project is to implement a wireless material handling robot which is controlled via ZigBee network. This system uses flex sensor, ultrasonic sensor, accelerometer and electronic compass.
- Assistance for Dumb and Illiterates in Airline Based on Touch Screen and Zigbee: A touch screen based assistance system for the dumb and illiterates travelling in an airline is designed here. Services like coffee, tea, drinks, food etc. can be requested using this system. The communication between the interface and the control unit (located at the air hostess) is done through ZigBee protocol. Both the transmitter and receiver sections require microcontrollers.
For other projects ideas, please visit the following pages: