We have seen many home automation systems in electronicshub.org.In this article i am going to discuss about restaurant automation system. We can see these automation system partially when you for KFC or McDonalds or Dominos. There when we order they are noted in the system and it is sent to their kitchen. When our order is ready our token number is announced.
In the present automation system i am going to show a similar system where one can order the menu from table itself. With this system you no need to wait for the server to take the order. A tab is provided with menu instead of a paper menu.
Let us see the circuit and components used for this project
Transmitter system is placed at the customer table while the receiver section is present in the kitchen.
- ATmega8 Microcontroller.
- Key pad/touch panel
- AVR development board.
- RS232 Cable.
- AVR STUDIO.
It is an 8 bit controller. In this project peripherals like UART, EEPROM are used. EEprom to store the menu and UART to communicate.
A 16*2 LCD is used here. It is used in 4 bit mode to reduce the usage of number of pins in the controller.
It can be used instead of a keypad. There are two types of touch pads resistive and capacitive. A capacitive touch pad is most commonly used.
For every microcontroller there are some necessary connections like clock and reset circuit, power supply. Avr has internal clock, so there is no need of connecting clock externally.
There are two sections present in automation system.
- A keypad is used to select the items. Menu is displayed on LCD. Instead of keypad one can use the touch panel.
- A number is indicated for each item in the menu. It is selected by using keypad. Incase if touch panel is used there is no need of using a keypad.
- Zigbee transmitter is used to transfer the menu.
- Receiver is arranged in the kitchen. Receiver section consists of a micro controller, Zigbee receiver, LCD.
- Multiple receivers can be connected on the zigbee network. Zigbee defined has a rate of 250kbits/s.
- On the receiver side ordered menu is received from multiple transmitters. Here I am going to show one transmitter and receiver.
- The data received from the transmitter is displayed on the LCD.
- Menu is stored in the eeprom of the AVR microcontroller.AVR has 512 bytes of eeprom internally.
- This is displayed on the LCD .Here LCD is used in 4bit mode to reduce number of pins usage.
- Data from EEPROM is fetched by the micro controller and is displayed on the LCD.
- By using the key pad one should select the menu.
- Suppose 1.Soup 2.Starters 3.Main course is displayed, the user should press 1 from keypad and select the item again and press #.
- Thus the order is transferred to the receiver through zigbee.
- ZIGBEE is high level communication protocol using small, low-power digital radios.
- This system makes the customer happy as it helps in ordering the as soon as he arrives at table without waiting for sever to take the order.
- This is very helpful for owner as it reduces the man power and menu can easily changed if there is any raise in price.